Hi all,
I have a perfectly working XP Pro system with:
P4PE Asus Motherboard
1 primary disk, partitioned C and D, total 40 Gb (IDE:0 Master)
2 secundary disk, partitioned E, 120 Gb (IDE:0 Slave)
1 DVD Reader only (IDE:1 Master)
1 DVD Reader/Writer (IDE:1 Slave)

Question.
I would like to get some hands on experience with RAID 0 and 1 and with a
SATA disk.
Would this system accept another drive (SATA) besides the IDE's (Parallel) I
allready have?

You comment would be greatly appreciated.
Dolphe

bar

Serial ATA (optional) on the P4Pe, so make sure you have the correct option for SATA.

If so you can install these in conjunction with the IDE devices. Windows can Manage 27 devices and / or partitions: letters A thru Z.

"GrandpaTCAM" wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have a perfectly working XP Pro system with:
> P4PE Asus Motherboard
> 1 primary disk, partitioned C and D, total 40 Gb (IDE:0 Master)
> 2 secundary disk, partitioned E, 120 Gb (IDE:0 Slave)
> 1 DVD Reader only (IDE:1 Master)
> 1 DVD Reader/Writer (IDE:1 Slave)
>
> Question.
> I would like to get some hands on experience with RAID 0 and 1 and with a
> SATA disk.
> Would this system accept another drive (SATA) besides the IDE's (Parallel) I
> allready have?
>
> You comment would be greatly appreciated.
> Dolphe

Here are a couple of answers that I can think of. If your motherboard
supports SATA, then you can add that extra SATA drive. As for your two
existing PATA drives, you can only configure one of them in RAID with
the SATA drive. The SATA drive appears to be required in order to have
RAID. This is from the ASUS website assuming you have the regular P4PE:

RAID 0 supported by single Parallel ATA with single or dual Serial ATA
connections,or dual Serial ATA connections alone.
RAID 1 supported by single Parallel ATA with single Serial ATA
connection or dual Serial ATA connections alone

I personally, would sell my IDE harddrives to a friend or something and
get two SATA harddrives for the best performance and the ability to use
RAID 1.

Nathan McNulty

BAR wrote:
> Serial ATA (optional) on the P4Pe, so make sure you have the correct option for SATA.
>
> If so you can install these in conjunction with the IDE devices. Windows can Manage 27 devices and / or partitions: letters A thru Z.
>

> "GrandpaTCAM" wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>I have a perfectly working XP Pro system with:
>>P4PE Asus Motherboard
>>1 primary disk, partitioned C and D, total 40 Gb (IDE:0 Master)
>>2 secundary disk, partitioned E, 120 Gb (IDE:0 Slave)
>>1 DVD Reader only (IDE:1 Master)
>>1 DVD Reader/Writer (IDE:1 Slave)
>>
>>Question.
>>I would like to get some hands on experience with RAID 0 and 1 and with a
>>SATA disk.
>>Would this system accept another drive (SATA) besides the IDE's (Parallel) I
>>allready have?
>>
>>You comment would be greatly appreciated.
>>Dolphe

Nathan McNulty and Bar
Thanks for your reply. I'll install one SATA for now and experiment with it.
When all looks good, I'll take your suggestion and get rid of my IDE disks.
Dolphe