Problems with Mobility Radeon 9200 and Halo?

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Hi all,

I have 2 problems, when decal is switched on, occassionally I get a white
patch around the decals such as explosion damage and gun shots - does anyone
else have this problem - I cannot find any reference to it in the known
video issues. Additionally, occassionaly outside, I get these lines
radiating off into the distance from certain characters - is there a setting
I can switch on or off. Since I am running it on my laptop, the mobility
radeon 9200 with 64mb of dedicated memory - I cannot just update to the
latest catalyst drivers - the mobility radeon are manufacturer driver
dependant. I am running WinXP SP1 with directX 9.0b

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanks.

somebody

"William Cheng @work" <wm_cheng_NOSPAM_@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 problems, when decal is switched on, occassionally I get a white
> patch around the decals such as explosion damage and gun shots - does
anyone
> else have this problem - I cannot find any reference to it in the known
> video issues. Additionally, occassionaly outside, I get these lines
> radiating off into the distance from certain characters - is there a
setting
> I can switch on or off. Since I am running it on my laptop, the mobility
> radeon 9200 with 64mb of dedicated memory - I cannot just update to the
> latest catalyst drivers - the mobility radeon are manufacturer driver
> dependant. I am running WinXP SP1 with directX 9.0b

I have a 64Mb mobile radeon 9800 and I've seen the lines off into the
distance effect before. It seems to be related to what other programs I
have running believe it or not. Try knocking down absolutely every TSR you
can prior to running halo and see if it helps.

As for the explosion thing, I'd just disable specular effects. It will help
your framerate and prevent you from being behind a smokescreen when you're
matching online. You've run it for a while so you have an idea of the size
of the blast radius for the various weapons and the dispersion pattern of
the shotgun etc. so it's really just window dressing at this point.

And of course, watch for new drivers from your manufacturer, but you knew
that.

-Russ.