p4p800-e cpu temps (absurd)

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

My temps both with MBM and with Asus probe and in the Bios are all the
same.

Room temps are 18-20 degress C. Case temp hovers around 20 degrees C
and the cpu at between 21 to 28 degrees c. I have even seen the cpu at
19-20 degrees.

I find these temps absurd. I'm overclocking a 2.4Ghz chip to 3.0Ghz
(1000Mhz Bus) with an AVC heatsink and arctic silver, but still, those
temps are absurd.

These same results are obtained with BIOS 1002 and with BIOS 1004. Can
anyone tell me what gives here? Does anyone have similar temps?
Different temps?

thanks.

AFAIK the temperature sensors on most boards are as accurate as the
weatherman. While the processor is finely machined to a few nanometres, and
the boards are crafted to exacting specifications, the temperature of the
same processor on the same board varies considerably. Go figure eh?

No wonder the weatherman can't tell if it's snowing out there. He's probably
using an ASUS based computer.

Could also be buggy software ! Who knows.

<eric@egypt.net> wrote in message
> My temps both with MBM and with Asus probe and in the Bios are all the
> same.
>
> Room temps are 18-20 degress C. Case temp hovers around 20 degrees C
> and the cpu at between 21 to 28 degrees c. I have even seen the cpu at
> 19-20 degrees.
>
> I find these temps absurd. I'm overclocking a 2.4Ghz chip to 3.0Ghz
> (1000Mhz Bus) with an AVC heatsink and arctic silver, but still, those
> temps are absurd.
>
> These same results are obtained with BIOS 1002 and with BIOS 1004. Can
> anyone tell me what gives here? Does anyone have similar temps?
> Different temps?
>
> thanks.

<eric@egypt.net> wrote in message
> My temps both with MBM and with Asus probe and in the Bios are all the
> same.
>
> Room temps are 18-20 degress C. Case temp hovers around 20 degrees C
> and the cpu at between 21 to 28 degrees c. I have even seen the cpu at
> 19-20 degrees.
>
> I find these temps absurd. I'm overclocking a 2.4Ghz chip to 3.0Ghz
> (1000Mhz Bus) with an AVC heatsink and arctic silver, but still, those
> temps are absurd.
>
> These same results are obtained with BIOS 1002 and with BIOS 1004. Can
> anyone tell me what gives here? Does anyone have similar temps?
> Different temps?
>
> thanks.
I have a p4 3.0 OC'd to 3.4 with a Zalman s7000a-cu cooler. MBM shows case
temp 24C and cpu temp @27. This is the lowest I've noticed it. Just
recently it was usually in the low to mid thirties. However, the weather
here in New England is starting to get cold so that would account for the
temp drop.

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 22:18:12 GMT, "ftran999" <ftran999@comcast.net>
wrote

right now:

room temp = 18.3C
case temp = 21C
cpu temp = 22C

at full load (encoding an avi for example) cpu = 33C

Don't know whether to be happy or what.

thanks, eric

<eric@egypt.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> My temps both with MBM and with Asus probe and in the Bios are all the
> same.

That's impossible.
Trust in the BIOS values.

"Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com> wrote in message

> <eric@egypt.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> My temps both with MBM and with Asus probe and in the Bios are all the
>> same.
>
> That's impossible.
> Trust in the BIOS values.

They are all reading from the same sensor so it makes sense that they are
all reporting the same temperature - I would think.

TK

No when you read the temps from the bios no system idler
halting cpu cycles so the temps are higher.

"tk" <tk@home.com> wrote in message news:41bb9c05$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> No when you read the temps from the bios no system idler
> halting cpu cycles so the temps are higher.

Could be, but the probes are all reading from the same sensor so I suspect
that if the sensor was reporting the wrong temp, then if wouldn't much
matter what software (BIOS included) you use, the results would be wrong -
regardless of system idler haling cpu cycles, etc.

I have been watching messages about temperture sensors with some interest
since I bought my ABIT BP6 board and come to the conclusion that the
temperature sensors on most boards are as accurate as sticking your finger
in water. At best the reading would be cold, hot or f------ hot. Except for
the latter, which is just a knee jerk reaction, everyone has their own
interpretation of what is hot and what is cold.

Having said that. If Eric's system temperatures are all below 30C and
everyone else with that board/processor combination has temperature over
30C, I would supect the sensors are faulty more then I would suspect he
stumbled onto a rare cool running system.

"tk" <tk@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:41bb9c05$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> No when you read the temps from the bios no system idler
> halting cpu cycles so the temps are higher.

Yes.
That's my opinion too (valid for WinXP Pro).

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:22:21 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:

>No when you read the temps from the bios no system idler
>halting cpu cycles so the temps are higher.

Oh yes, slightly higher temp readouts in the Bios, of course. But they
are just like in windows when using the cpu a bit, say 27C at most. At
full throttle I have hit 33C in Windows.

I'm a veteran of many Asus boards beginning with the P2B series,
Cusl2, P4pe and now the p4p800-E. Temp readouts have usually been
pretty reliable. This time I am doubting.

right now:

room temp 19.6c
case 21C
cpu 25C

eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:07:14 -0600, "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada
DOT com> wrote:

>Having said that. If Eric's system temperatures are all below 30C and
>everyone else with that board/processor combination has temperature over
>30C, I would supect the sensors are faulty more then I would suspect he
>stumbled onto a rare cool running system.

Well that's part of my question: What are other people's temps on this
board?

eric

<eric@egypt.net> wrote
> Well that's part of my question: What are other people's temps on this
> board?

Hi,

from what I seen on my P4C800e the CPU temps are about 10°C to low, slightly
different board to what you use, but I imagine the sensors are the same. . .

Wayne ][

> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:22:21 -0600, "tk" <tk@home.com> wrote:
>

> right now:
>
> room temp 19.6c
> case 21C
> cpu 25C

I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe with a P4-3000 and the temps are now:
room 24°C
case 30°C
cpu 30°C

> eric

TK

My P4P800-E Deluxe is running 38C CPU and 23C Mobo
Cpu is Prescott 3.2 BTW

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:07:14 -0600, "m.marien" <mm AT RiverCityCanada
> DOT com> wrote:
>

>>Having said that. If Eric's system temperatures are all below 30C and
>>everyone else with that board/processor combination has temperature over
>>30C, I would supect the sensors are faulty more then I would suspect he
>>stumbled onto a rare cool running system.
>>

> Well that's part of my question: What are other people's temps on this
> board?
>
> eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:30:12 +0100, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
wrote:

>> room temp 19.6c
>> case 21C
>> cpu 25C

>I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe with a P4-3000 and the temps are now:
>room 24°C
>case 30°C
>cpu 30°C

that's the weirdest part for me: the cpu and case temps being the
same. In all my experience with Asus mobos, the cpu temps are at least
5-7 degrees higher than the case.

right now I'm

room temp: 18,3C
case 21C
cpu 22C

eric

> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:30:12 +0100, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I've got a P4P800-E Deluxe with a P4-3000 and the temps are now:
>>room 24°C
>>case 30°C
>>cpu 30°C
>
> that's the weirdest part for me: the cpu and case temps being the
> same. In all my experience with Asus mobos, the cpu temps are at least
> 5-7 degrees higher than the case.

Sorry, I've made a mistake.
It isn't the case temp but the mb temp. :-(
In this pc I haven't got a sensor for the case temp.

> right now I'm
>
> room temp: 18,3C
> case 21C
> cpu 22C

I think your very good cooling (CPU and case) brings your very low
temps.
Have you taken the right sensors? No confusion?

How many revolutions makes your ventilators?
Have you a P4 case (opening on the left)?
Is your MBM Vers. 5.3.7.0 (ultimate)?

> eric

Eric

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:00:34 +0100, "Peter Wagner" <vba@directbox.com>
wrote:

>Sorry, I've made a mistake.
>It isn't the case temp but the mb temp. :-(
>In this pc I haven't got a sensor for the case temp.

Actually same here. MBM reports this as "case temp" but I think this
is Mobo temp.

>I think your very good cooling (CPU and case) brings your very low
>temps.
>Have you taken the right sensors? No confusion?

I think so. I double checked in MBM using all the sensors and these
other sensor listings give me really absurd temps like 127C or -84C

>How many revolutions makes your ventilators?

According to MBM fan 1 is doing abot 2300RPM and fan 2 is at 5500RPM.
Not sure which is which at the moment. And, most importantly, room
temps are under 20C. In the summer room temps are going to be aroun
28-29C and my cpu readout will chenge drastically.

I have a fan at intake at the bottom front and an exhaust fan at the
top back of the case.

>Have you a P4 case (opening on the left)?

Not really. no

>Is your MBM Vers. 5.3.7.0 (ultimate)?

Yes, last version. If I use Asus Probe, I get the exact same readouts.

e.

tomp

Distinguished
May 22, 2004