Second Hard-Drive - Sizing Problems

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have 2 hard drives on my Windows XP system, the first
drive is an 80GB which is working just fine, the second
drive is an IBM that I took from my old Windows 2000 pc, I
want to use that drive to hold the pagefile.sys files
only. XP recognizes the drive but only recognizes 2GB out
of 30GB....part of the problem may be that it also has the
Master Boot Record from the prior pc installation. Any
ideas of how to 1) erase everything from that drive and 2)
claim the entire drive space?

thanks

Right click My Computer, select Manage. See the Storage/Disk
Management list on the left sidebar, click Disk Management.
Find the drive in question and partition and format it.

"brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2dfe301c46a68$bfc50640$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| I have 2 hard drives on my Windows XP system, the first
| drive is an 80GB which is working just fine, the second
| drive is an IBM that I took from my old Windows 2000 pc, I
| want to use that drive to hold the pagefile.sys files
| only. XP recognizes the drive but only recognizes 2GB out
| of 30GB....part of the problem may be that it also has the
| Master Boot Record from the prior pc installation. Any
| ideas of how to 1) erase everything from that drive and 2)
| claim the entire drive space?
|
| thanks

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, but I have already tried that, the largest
partition that I can create is 2GB, not 30GB...thanks, any
other ideas?

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

Sounds like a hardcase hard drive. (pun). I keep a startup disk from Windows 98 and ME around. I have copied FORMAT.com to them from the command folder of the original OS. Since Fdisk is already on them, when I come acrosss a hard case, I cab reboot to WINxx command prompt and Fdisk a stubborn drive. After creating a primary FAT32 partition that is not active, sometimes I format as well. I reboot into XP and use the standard system resources to convert the drive to what I want it to be.
This not a pretty XP way of working around it. However, I do come across stubborn drives that don't respond correctly in XPs Disk Manager.

"brad" wrote:

> Thanks, but I have already tried that, the largest
> partition that I can create is 2GB, not 30GB...thanks, any
> other ideas?

What does the other 30 GB show up as?
You should be able to do anything to the second drive since
it isn't booting. Try deleting any existing partition and
then reformatting.

"brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2d70901c46a6e$cb1e6490$a401280a@phx.gbl...
| Thanks, but I have already tried that, the largest
| partition that I can create is 2GB, not 30GB...thanks, any
| other ideas?

| >|
| >| thanks
| >

| >.

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

thanks for all your responses....I have tried reformatting
and re-partitioning....every time it only shows 2GB as
being available....it never shows the other 27GB as being
available, it only shows the entire drive (with and
without partition) as being 2GB.....partition magic can't
do anything with it either.

thanks for your help

You might also check in bios to see if it is being recognized properly.

"brad" wrote:

> I have 2 hard drives on my Windows XP system, the first
> drive is an 80GB which is working just fine, the second
> drive is an IBM that I took from my old Windows 2000 pc, I
> want to use that drive to hold the pagefile.sys files
> only. XP recognizes the drive but only recognizes 2GB out
> of 30GB....part of the problem may be that it also has the
> Master Boot Record from the prior pc installation. Any
> ideas of how to 1) erase everything from that drive and 2)
> claim the entire drive space?
>
> thanks

Also, what can happen is the type of format that you used on the disk.
FAT16 only allows for the harddrive to be 2 GB in size. It is odd that
it is only allowing you to format with FAT16 and nothing else. Try this:

Right click on My Computer, click Manage, go to Disk Management, right
click on the second harddrive's graph, select delete partition, right
click on the drive's icon and select format. If that doesn't work, you
can try booting off your Windows XP CD, go through like you are going to
install Windows, choose to delete the partition of the second drive,
chose to format it with NTFS, then instead of continuing to install
Windows, just press the reset button ;)

Nathan McNulty