Want my own custom configuration utility

I have a need that is distinct from ghosting a drive. I configure about a
dozen new systems each year, and I have a specific set of utilities and
tweaks that I want to put in place. For instance:

- Batch file that assigns drive letters to folders (which needs to be added
Current Version / Run)
- Keyboard remapping utility
- Preferred Explorer shell
- Task Bar and Start Menu tweaks
- Suite of about two dozen small programs and utilities

These involve files placed in specific locations, DLLs added to the Windows
folder, and numerous additions made to the Registry. I would like to
automate all of this and save many tens of hours. It can't be a ghost image,
as I will be adding this collection of attributes to widely disparate
systems. I want this to be more like a patch.

What should I be looking for? Is there software to automate this? Do I need
to have a script written? What is the best way to approach this? Thanks...

--
Rick Altman
PowerPoint Live

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

You might find this interesting:
http://www.winnetmag.com/WindowsScripting/Article/ArticleID/16171/WindowsScripting_16171.html

"Rick Altman" wrote:

> I have a need that is distinct from ghosting a drive. I configure about a
> dozen new systems each year, and I have a specific set of utilities and
> tweaks that I want to put in place. For instance:
>
> - Batch file that assigns drive letters to folders (which needs to be added
> Current Version / Run)
> - Keyboard remapping utility
> - Preferred Explorer shell
> - Task Bar and Start Menu tweaks
> - Suite of about two dozen small programs and utilities
>

> These involve files placed in specific locations, DLLs added to the Windows
> folder, and numerous additions made to the Registry. I would like to
> automate all of this and save many tens of hours. It can't be a ghost image,
> as I will be adding this collection of attributes to widely disparate
> systems. I want this to be more like a patch.
>
> What should I be looking for? Is there software to automate this? Do I need
> to have a script written? What is the best way to approach this? Thanks...
>

> --
> Rick Altman
> PowerPoint Live
> October 10-13 | San Diego, CA
> http://www.powerpointlive.com

Rick,

I know the Lab controllers up at Palomar (in San Marcos) set up all of their
Computer lab computers using something like Ghost. There are several
different configurations they use depending on which of the labs they are
installing the computers in. You might try checking out www.palomar.edu
for some names of lab people and give them a call.

Good Luck
Larry Hazel

"Rick Altman" <rick.a@nospamaltman.com> wrote in message
>I have a need that is distinct from ghosting a drive. I configure about a
> dozen new systems each year, and I have a specific set of utilities and
> tweaks that I want to put in place. For instance:
>
> - Batch file that assigns drive letters to folders (which needs to be
> added
> Current Version / Run)
> - Keyboard remapping utility
> - Preferred Explorer shell
> - Task Bar and Start Menu tweaks
> - Suite of about two dozen small programs and utilities
>

> These involve files placed in specific locations, DLLs added to the
> Windows
> folder, and numerous additions made to the Registry. I would like to
> automate all of this and save many tens of hours. It can't be a ghost
> image,
> as I will be adding this collection of attributes to widely disparate
> systems. I want this to be more like a patch.
>
> What should I be looking for? Is there software to automate this? Do I
> need
> to have a script written? What is the best way to approach this? Thanks...
>

> --
> Rick Altman
> PowerPoint Live
> October 10-13 | San Diego, CA