P5Gd1 board and IDE drive?

Do the new P5 boards require different drives or will an IDE drive work?
Pardon my
stupidity but I have the drive and am thinking of building a new pc. Any
help will be
appreciated.

Paul

Splendid

In article <41BA1C21.D48084A7@pop.erols.com>, gja1 <gja1@pop.erols.com> wrote:

> Do the new P5 boards require different drives or will an IDE drive work?
> Pardon my
> stupidity but I have the drive and am thinking of building a new pc. Any
> help will be
> appreciated.

The ICH6 Southbridge has a single IDE cable. And four SATA ports.
It is Intel's way of saying the PATA interface is dead :)

Depending on the board, you will also find the ITE8212 chip and
that has two IDE cables. I think you could use four disks in
RAID configurations on it, but if attempting to use it in vanilla
IDE mode, the manual hints that a maximum of two IDE disks are
supported. I don't see any mention of not supporting ATAPI,
so perhaps you could even put a CD/DVD drive on the 8212 as well.

You may want to check out which OSes are supported before buying.
The download page for a board, has the OS listed for each driver,
and that should give you an idea which OSes will work. It would
have been much better, if Asus would just list on their spec
page, as to which OSes had been tested for a board.

The BIOS has the "enhanced' and "compatible" modes for the
Southbridge disks. The "compatible" mode implies that an
OS other than Win2K/WinXP can be used, but the manual is
careful not to name those other OSes.

Plenty of guess work for a potential customer.

If you think that IDE drive will last a while, you
may want to pick up a converter. At one time these
were abundant, but look to be disappearing. Some
of these converters had compatibility issues, so
research other people's experience before buying one.
And, back up the data on the disk, before testing with
the converter, just in case. Some product names were
"serillel" and "rockethead". Apparently, Intel doesn't
like these adapters (maybe it just increases support
issues), but I don't know if there is a solid technical
reason.

http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?qc="ROCKETHEAD"*&cr=rockethead

HTH,
Paul