Building my own PC ... your advice will be invaluable.

July 15, 2004 4:08:52 PM

I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
saved money.

Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
my mouth ...

Many thanks in advance, Rob.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 4:26:11 PM

Hello Rob

Here is a good site to check out on the going prices of
computer components. Also here is another good site to
check out product, it's in Houston, Tx, my choice of mothers
boards to go with Asus

www.pricwatch.com

www.directron.com

Alvin

Rob wrote:

> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
> greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> saved money.
>
> Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
> would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
> a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
> me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
> my mouth ...
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:45:04 PM

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
> greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> saved money.

www.newegg.com

www.mwave.com

-- Bob Day
Related resources
July 15, 2004 7:30:01 PM

My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?

"Bob Day" wrote:

> "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
> > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> > saved money.
>
> www.newegg.com
>
> www.mwave.com
>
> -- Bob Day

July 15, 2004 9:12:00 PM

Rob wrote:

> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
> greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> saved money.
>
> Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
> would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
> a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
> me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
> my mouth ...
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Don't skimp on the case or the PSU. I always use Thermaltake cases and
Antec PSUs and have never had any trouble. And get lots of case
fans...the more the better. Get the BEST CPU cooler you can get! There
IS A big difference between the off-the-shelf fans and REAL CPU fans.
You get what you pay for.

--
Servo
"Go, Dustmites!"

What do you want to do with it? games? Video? photos?

Rob wrote:
> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
> greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> saved money.
>
> Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
> would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
> a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
> me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
> my mouth ...
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Anonymous
July 15, 2004 10:25:13 PM

Rob wrote:
> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
> would greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online
> shopping for my components. The right choices for my purchases can
> mean a great deal of saved money.
>
> Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any
> kind....I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me.
> I know there are a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from
> experience and they can give me heads up on issues to look out for,
> before I find myself with my foot in my mouth ...
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Wrong group. This group is for people who are having hardware issues under
XP. Suggest you post to a general hardware group such as alt.comp.hardware
which will be carried by your ISP's server.
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 11:55:14 PM

Rob, check a few of the hardware sites. www.anandtech.com always has
good advice. Also, try
www.sharkyextreme.com www.hardocp.com and even
www.tomshardware.com and
www.firingsquad.com
"Rick" <RickH40@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What do you want to do with it? games? Video? photos?
>
> Rob wrote:
> > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
would
> > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> > saved money.
> >
> > Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
> > would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there
are
> > a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can
give
> > me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot
in
> > my mouth ...
> >
> > Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:06:25 AM

"Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is
in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There
are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they
are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI
express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost
impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will
increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?

Yes. A computer you build now will not likely be very
upgradeable in the future. There are a whole lot of new technologies
in flux right now (is BTX dead or alive??). If the OP can afford to
wait, he might consider waiting a while. I'm waiting till next year.

-- Bob Day

--

> "Bob Day" wrote:
>
> > "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> > > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
would
> > > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> > > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> > > saved money.
> >
> > www.newegg.com
> >
> > www.mwave.com
> >
> > -- Bob Day

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 1:06:26 AM

I would highly suggest waiting until PCI Express has made a little more
ground and support as well as DDR2. Waiting even six months will help a
ton as most of the next generation products are being released around Q4
2004. What you want to keep your eyes open for is Dual Core CPU's from
both Intel and AMD (AMD will be sooner than Intel) and you will want to
make sure you end up with a PCI Express based motherboard. The reason
is you will have more bandwidth on the PCI Bus, less electricity
required, less heat as a result, and a more stable platform. As for
64bit processing. Intel's next Dual Core Processor is supposed to have a
64bit varient that will compete with the AMD 64. This is all going to
be similar to the DVD-R vs. DVD+R as AMD already has a designed 64bit
platform (different than IA64) and Intel either has to conform to AMD's
platform or create their own. We'll have to wait and see if they both
end up designing these new dual core CPU's with the same platform (the
architectures/cores can still be different). All of this is going to
happen fairly soon and will be somewhat expensive when it is released as
is most new technology, but come after Christmas season, prices will
most likely start falling :)

Nathan McNulty

Bob Day wrote:
> "Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is
>
> in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There
> are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they
> are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI
> express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost
> impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will
> increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?
>
> Yes. A computer you build now will not likely be very
> upgradeable in the future. There are a whole lot of new technologies
> in flux right now (is BTX dead or alive??). If the OP can afford to
> wait, he might consider waiting a while. I'm waiting till next year.
>
> -- Bob Day

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:46:18 AM

Miss Perspicacia....

I think you're in the wrong group.

You need to go to the "I'm not actually here to help
anybody, I just want to seem important" group.

You waste more time telling people to go away than you do
answering the actual questions. The guy is building a
computer. It is DIRECTLY hardware related.

It's amazing. All I do is see your name under any post,
and I know it will be telling people to basically go
away.

So, YOU stop posting here, or in any other group. These
people want help and advice, not "Get out of this group
and go to another."
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:54:57 AM

I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.

Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
out-dated in a matter of a year or two.

From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
time.

If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
and stuff.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 3:06:02 PM

There are hundreds, thousands of places on the internet where you can go to
obtain this type of information. This is NOT one of them. This is for
problem solving, not construction techniques and practices.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
> I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
> would
> greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
> components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
> saved money.
>
> Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
> would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there
> are
> a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
> me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot
> in
> my mouth ...
>
> Many thanks in advance, Rob.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:17:43 PM

The trouble with advice about "waiting a bit longer" (to home-build or
purchase a computer) is that after the prospective builder or buyer "waits
a bit longer", the same advice will be given to him or her. It will ALWAYS
be "Wait a bit longer. There are new components (processors, memory,
graphics & sound cards, storage, etc., etc.) just on the horizon. Wait a bit
longer." It's never ending, is it not? Consider the history of personal
desktop computing. Continuous changes in hardware/software together with the
pricing of these components. It's a never ending process. If you "wait a bit
longer", you'll always "wait a bit longer". And life's too short for that.

Art

"SSDD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
> build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
> technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.
>
> Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
> You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
> out-dated in a matter of a year or two.
>
> From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
> out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
> ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
> time.
>
> If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
> just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
> what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
> well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
> whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
> Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
> and stuff.

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 4:17:44 PM

Actually, how long has the current PCI bus been in existance? This
upgrade is huge. One of the largest changes to computer architecture as
we know it. That is why I suggested waiting a few months until the
second set of chipsets with PCI Express on them come out. The reason
being PCI Express will finally be mainstream and fully developed which
is huge for upgradeability. DDR2 and SATA300 will be incorporated which
finishes off the largest developments of the computer architecture.
These changes all came together at the same time and will make sure you
don't end up with a computer that is not only not upgradeable but also
no longer supported.

Nathan McNulty

Art wrote:

> The trouble with advice about "waiting a bit longer" (to home-build or
> purchase a computer) is that after the prospective builder or buyer "waits
> a bit longer", the same advice will be given to him or her. It will ALWAYS
> be "Wait a bit longer. There are new components (processors, memory,
> graphics & sound cards, storage, etc., etc.) just on the horizon. Wait a bit
> longer." It's never ending, is it not? Consider the history of personal
> desktop computing. Continuous changes in hardware/software together with the
> pricing of these components. It's a never ending process. If you "wait a bit
> longer", you'll always "wait a bit longer". And life's too short for that.
>
> Art
>

> "SSDD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
>>build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
>>technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.
>>
>>Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
>>You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
>>out-dated in a matter of a year or two.
>>
>>From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
>>out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
>>ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
>>time.
>>
>>If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
>>just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
>>what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
>>well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
>>whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
>>Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
>>and stuff.

July 17, 2004 11:35:21 AM

http://www.pricegrabber.com/home_comp.php
http://www.techbargains.com/
http://dealnews.com/

>Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
>would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
>a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
>me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
>my mouth ...
>
>Many thanks in advance, Rob.

July 18, 2004 10:18:37 PM

Geez lighten up!