Building my own PC ... your advice will be invaluable.

I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
saved money.

Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
my mouth ...

Many thanks in advance, Rob.
16 answers Last reply
More about building advice invaluable

    Hello Rob

    Here is a good site to check out on the going prices of
    computer components. Also here is another good site to
    check out product, it's in Houston, Tx, my choice of mothers
    boards to go with Asus

    www.pricwatch.com

    www.directron.com

    Alvin

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
    > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
    > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
    > saved money.

    www.newegg.com

    www.mwave.com

    -- Bob Day

    My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?

    Rob wrote:

    > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I would
    > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
    > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
    > saved money.
    >
    > Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
    > would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
    > a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
    > me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
    > my mouth ...
    >
    > Many thanks in advance, Rob.

    Don't skimp on the case or the PSU. I always use Thermaltake cases and
    Antec PSUs and have never had any trouble. And get lots of case
    fans...the more the better. Get the BEST CPU cooler you can get! There
    IS A big difference between the off-the-shelf fans and REAL CPU fans.
    You get what you pay for.

    --
    Servo
    "Go, Dustmites!"

    What do you want to do with it? games? Video? photos?

    Rob wrote:
    > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
    > would greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online
    > shopping for my components. The right choices for my purchases can
    > mean a great deal of saved money.
    >
    > Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any
    > kind....I would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me.
    > I know there are a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from
    > experience and they can give me heads up on issues to look out for,
    > before I find myself with my foot in my mouth ...
    >
    > Many thanks in advance, Rob.

    Wrong group. This group is for people who are having hardware issues under
    XP. Suggest you post to a general hardware group such as alt.comp.hardware
    which will be carried by your ISP's server.

    Rob, check a few of the hardware sites. www.anandtech.com always has
    good advice. Also, try
    www.sharkyextreme.com www.hardocp.com and even
    www.tomshardware.com and
    www.firingsquad.com

    "Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is
    in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There
    are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they
    are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI
    express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost
    impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will
    increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?

    Yes. A computer you build now will not likely be very
    upgradeable in the future. There are a whole lot of new technologies
    in flux right now (is BTX dead or alive??). If the OP can afford to
    wait, he might consider waiting a while. I'm waiting till next year.

    -- Bob Day

    --

    > "Bob Day" wrote:
    >
    > > "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
    would
    > > > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
    > > > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
    > > > saved money.
    > >
    > > www.newegg.com
    > >
    > > www.mwave.com
    > >
    > > -- Bob Day

    I would highly suggest waiting until PCI Express has made a little more
    ground and support as well as DDR2. Waiting even six months will help a
    ton as most of the next generation products are being released around Q4
    2004. What you want to keep your eyes open for is Dual Core CPU's from
    both Intel and AMD (AMD will be sooner than Intel) and you will want to
    make sure you end up with a PCI Express based motherboard. The reason
    is you will have more bandwidth on the PCI Bus, less electricity
    required, less heat as a result, and a more stable platform. As for
    64bit processing. Intel's next Dual Core Processor is supposed to have a
    64bit varient that will compete with the AMD 64. This is all going to
    be similar to the DVD-R vs. DVD+R as AMD already has a designed 64bit
    platform (different than IA64) and Intel either has to conform to AMD's
    platform or create their own. We'll have to wait and see if they both
    end up designing these new dual core CPU's with the same platform (the
    architectures/cores can still be different). All of this is going to
    happen fairly soon and will be somewhat expensive when it is released as
    is most new technology, but come after Christmas season, prices will
    most likely start falling :)

    Nathan McNulty

    Bob Day wrote:
    > "Billy" <Billy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>My advice would be to wait another sixty days or so. Right now the industry is
    >
    > in flux. The new 775 T chips are shipping and the prices are still high. There
    > are only a few motherboards available that support the new chip sockets and they
    > are expensive. There are several graphic cards available using the new PCI
    > express standard but they are high. Also, memory is going to DDR2 and is almost
    > impossible to find. Prices will drop in a few months and availablity will
    > increase. Why build with obsolete stuff?
    >
    > Yes. A computer you build now will not likely be very
    > upgradeable in the future. There are a whole lot of new technologies
    > in flux right now (is BTX dead or alive??). If the OP can afford to
    > wait, he might consider waiting a while. I'm waiting till next year.
    >
    > -- Bob Day

    Miss Perspicacia....

    I think you're in the wrong group.

    You need to go to the "I'm not actually here to help
    anybody, I just want to seem important" group.

    You waste more time telling people to go away than you do
    answering the actual questions. The guy is building a
    computer. It is DIRECTLY hardware related.

    It's amazing. All I do is see your name under any post,
    and I know it will be telling people to basically go
    away.

    So, YOU stop posting here, or in any other group. These
    people want help and advice, not "Get out of this group
    and go to another."

    I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
    build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
    technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.

    Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
    You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
    out-dated in a matter of a year or two.

    From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
    out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
    ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
    time.

    If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
    just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
    what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
    well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
    whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
    Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
    and stuff.

    There are hundreds, thousands of places on the internet where you can go to
    obtain this type of information. This is NOT one of them. This is for
    problem solving, not construction techniques and practices.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Rob" <rbaysinger@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I'm in the planning phase of building my own PC from scratch. First I
    > would
    > greatly appreciate some advice on where to begin online shopping for my
    > components. The right choices for my purchases can mean a great deal of
    > saved money.
    >
    > Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
    > would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there
    > are
    > a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
    > me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot
    > in
    > my mouth ...
    >
    > Many thanks in advance, Rob.

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The trouble with advice about "waiting a bit longer" (to home-build or
    purchase a computer) is that after the prospective builder or buyer "waits
    a bit longer", the same advice will be given to him or her. It will ALWAYS
    be "Wait a bit longer. There are new components (processors, memory,
    graphics & sound cards, storage, etc., etc.) just on the horizon. Wait a bit
    longer." It's never ending, is it not? Consider the history of personal
    desktop computing. Continuous changes in hardware/software together with the
    pricing of these components. It's a never ending process. If you "wait a bit
    longer", you'll always "wait a bit longer". And life's too short for that.

    Art

    "SSDD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
    > build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
    > technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.
    >
    > Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
    > You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
    > out-dated in a matter of a year or two.
    >
    > From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
    > out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
    > ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
    > time.
    >
    > If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
    > just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
    > what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
    > well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
    > whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
    > Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
    > and stuff.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Actually, how long has the current PCI bus been in existance? This
    upgrade is huge. One of the largest changes to computer architecture as
    we know it. That is why I suggested waiting a few months until the
    second set of chipsets with PCI Express on them come out. The reason
    being PCI Express will finally be mainstream and fully developed which
    is huge for upgradeability. DDR2 and SATA300 will be incorporated which
    finishes off the largest developments of the computer architecture.
    These changes all came together at the same time and will make sure you
    don't end up with a computer that is not only not upgradeable but also
    no longer supported.

    Nathan McNulty

    Art wrote:

    > The trouble with advice about "waiting a bit longer" (to home-build or
    > purchase a computer) is that after the prospective builder or buyer "waits
    > a bit longer", the same advice will be given to him or her. It will ALWAYS
    > be "Wait a bit longer. There are new components (processors, memory,
    > graphics & sound cards, storage, etc., etc.) just on the horizon. Wait a bit
    > longer." It's never ending, is it not? Consider the history of personal
    > desktop computing. Continuous changes in hardware/software together with the
    > pricing of these components. It's a never ending process. If you "wait a bit
    > longer", you'll always "wait a bit longer". And life's too short for that.
    >
    > Art
    >

    > "SSDD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I will have to agree with waiting just a bit longer to
    >>build your own PC from scratch. There are a LOT of new
    >>technologies coming out in a very short amount of time.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, this is the way of personal computing.
    >>You'll never build a the perfect system and not have it
    >>out-dated in a matter of a year or two.
    >>
    >>From what I understand though, BTX is to completely phase
    >>out ATX eventually. Naturally they can't just eliminate
    >>ATX immediately, but as I understand it will happen over
    >>time.
    >>
    >>If you need a computer immediately, I'd recommend maybe
    >>just getting the base model Dell that's selling for
    >>what...400 bucks or so after a nice rebate? Dell's sell
    >>well too. Use the Dell temporarily, build your dream PC,
    >>whether it be a powerhouse or not, and then just sell the
    >>Dell to somebody who might only need it for web browsing
    >>and stuff.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    http://www.pricegrabber.com/home_comp.php
    http://www.techbargains.com/
    http://dealnews.com/

    >Secondly, if anyone has ANY ideas, direction and advice of any kind....I
    >would greatly appreciate it if you would share it with me. I know there are
    >a lot of folks on this NG that can speak from experience and they can give
    >me heads up on issues to look out for, before I find myself with my foot in
    >my mouth ...
    >
    >Many thanks in advance, Rob.

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Geez lighten up!

    Richard Urban wrote:
    > There are hundreds, thousands of places on the internet where you can go to
    > obtain this type of information. This is NOT one of them. This is for
    > problem solving, not construction techniques and practices.

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP