SATA

HI,

Can someone please tell me if I need a different power connector to run a
Sata hard disk. Or will the standard ATX power connector work. I have the
stata data cables. Any help would be most welcomed.

Regards,
Monty
6 answers Last reply
More about sata

    Hello

    Well did your drive come with documentation or a manual
    try reading that or look up the drive on the net and get the
    spec's that you need

    Al

    "Monty" <monty@python.com> wrote...

    > Can someone please tell me if I need a different power connector to run a
    > Sata hard disk. Or will the standard ATX power connector work. I have the
    > stata data cables.

    Depends on the HD. WD Raptors can use either power cable.

    Serial ATA connectors on the motherboard help as well.

    "John R Weiss" wrote:

    > "Monty" <monty@python.com> wrote...
    > >
    > > Can someone please tell me if I need a different power connector to run a
    > > Sata hard disk. Or will the standard ATX power connector work. I have the
    > > stata data cables.
    >
    > Depends on the HD. WD Raptors can use either power cable.

    Al,

    Thanks for the response. I should have said that I have as yet to purchase a
    sata drive. It was a inquiry, I don't want to change the power supply.
    "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > Hello
    >
    > Well did your drive come with documentation or a manual
    > try reading that or look up the drive on the net and get the
    > spec's that you need
    >
    > Al
    >

    > Monty wrote:
    >
    > > HI,
    > >
    > > Can someone please tell me if I need a different power connector to run
    > > Sata hard disk. Or will the standard ATX power connector work. I have
    the
    > > stata data cables. Any help would be most welcomed.
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > > Monty

    You do not need a new power supply for a SATA drive. There is a
    convertor that comes with your SATA Harddrive that will change a 4 pin
    molex into the SATA power source. If it doesn't come with one, they only
    cost about $3 ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Monty wrote:

    > Al,
    >
    > Thanks for the response. I should have said that I have as yet to purchase a
    > sata drive. It was a inquiry, I don't want to change the power supply.
    > "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello
    >>
    >>Well did your drive come with documentation or a manual
    >>try reading that or look up the drive on the net and get the
    >>spec's that you need
    >>
    >>Al
    >>

    >>Monty wrote:
    >>

    >>>HI,
    >>>
    >>>Can someone please tell me if I need a different power connector to run

    >>>Sata hard disk. Or will the standard ATX power connector work. I have
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>stata data cables. Any help would be most welcomed.
    >>>
    >>>Regards,
    >>>Monty

    Thanks Nathan, thats what I needed to know.

    Regards

    Monty.
    "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
    > You do not need a new power supply for a SATA drive. There is a
    > convertor that comes with your SATA Harddrive that will change a 4 pin
    > molex into the SATA power source. If it doesn't come with one, they only
    > cost about $3 ;)
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Monty wrote:
    >
    > > Al,
    > >
    > > Thanks for the response. I should have said that I have as yet to
    purchase a
    > > sata drive. It was a inquiry, I don't want to change the power supply.
    > > "Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Hello
    > >>
    > >>Well did your drive come with documentation or a manual
    > >>try reading that or look up the drive on the net and get the
    > >>spec's that you need
    > >>
    > >>Al

    > > the

SATA Power Windows XP