Can I Not USE the DDR feature of the A7N8X-E

Tags:
  • Asus
  • DDR
  • RAM
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2004 9:42:29 AM

I'm having trouble with an A7N8X-E board with an Athlon XP 3200. I
have2 512meg sticks of Crucial DDR 400 ram. On random occassions, and
always running Flightsim 9, my computer rebbots or locls up.

My troubleshooting technique amounted to swapping or removing just
about every component. I found that with 1 stick of ram, everything
was okay. Two sticks and flightsim crashed. I replaced the ram, again
with Crucial but a different flavor (I buy from vendors at computer
shows) with the same results.

Because it seems like running in a DDR configuration is more demanding
than not, can I place the sticks in the slots not recommended? I know
that doesn't make sense; let me try again. I want to have 1 gig of ram
(partially because I paid $200 for it) but I don't want the DDR set
up.

If having exactly the same sticks of ram is important in the DDR
setup, doesn't it seem likely that not having the DDR configuration
might be easier to run?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time and help;

Frank

More about : ddr feature a7n8x

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2004 6:34:30 PM

Thank you for the help and the reassurance that I am not alone in my
problem. It is nice to know that others have seen the same thing.

I am studying Paul's solutions right now and will try them out. I used
to have an A7N8X with an XP2400 (PC2100 ram). It ran just fine with
nothing special computer show ram. I guess the faster the system, the
trickier things get.

Paul, can you take another "thank you". You are an incredible person.
To share your knowledge and experience with strangers is an amazingly
generous thing. I've just searched your name in this newsgroup and
came up with over 50 messages from you. There is a book of knowledge
there. I wonder if I could gather them all up into a Word document ,
title it "Paul Answers Your Question on Computers" and sell it on
Ebay?

Thank you for all your help;

Frank
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2004 10:13:49 PM

....odd. From what I understand of the a7n8x family, you either have DDR or
your computer wont boot :)  The a7n8x is a DDR motherboard, it takes nothing
else, so forget 'removing it'. What it seems you should do is relax the
memory timings to something less demanding. Google 'crucial memory timings'
or such and you'll eventually get timings which will result in a stable
system.

"Philadelphia Frank" <philafrank@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm having trouble with an A7N8X-E board with an Athlon XP 3200. I
> have2 512meg sticks of Crucial DDR 400 ram. On random occassions, and
> always running Flightsim 9, my computer rebbots or locls up.
>
> My troubleshooting technique amounted to swapping or removing just
> about every component. I found that with 1 stick of ram, everything
> was okay. Two sticks and flightsim crashed. I replaced the ram, again
> with Crucial but a different flavor (I buy from vendors at computer
> shows) with the same results.
>
> Because it seems like running in a DDR configuration is more demanding
> than not, can I place the sticks in the slots not recommended? I know
> that doesn't make sense; let me try again. I want to have 1 gig of ram
> (partially because I paid $200 for it) but I don't want the DDR set
> up.
>
> If having exactly the same sticks of ram is important in the DDR
> setup, doesn't it seem likely that not having the DDR configuration
> might be easier to run?
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you for your time and help;
>
> Frank
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2004 12:12:44 AM

That Prime95 tip was an excellent resource. So far it looks as though
I can run in single channel mode at full frequency...so far.

Using Prime95 torture test, my PC failed within 4 minutes. My BIOS
setup was the defaukt safe settings.

Raising the voltage on the DIMMS to 2.8 volts allowd me to run an
extra minute - failed in 5 minutes.

The temperature and voltages displayed by the Asus probe looked very
good. CPU 120F / case 80 F.

Back in the BIOS, I changed the buss from 200 to 166. Upon rebooting I
found an AthlonXP 2500. Prime95 torture test did not fail in 20 min.

I switched the DIMM modules to the single channel locations, booted
okay torture test was looking good at ten minutes.

Raised the buss back to 200, torutre test was running just fine 20
minutes later. I think that answers my original question about running
in single channel mode - yes you can.

I ran the Prime95 benchmarks:

1st. 200 mhz double channel -Best time for 2048K FFT length: 145.287
ms (failed in 4 mnutes).

2nd. 166mhz double channel -Best time for 2048K FFT length: 172.709 ms

3rd. 166mhz single channel- Best time for 2048K FFT length: 182.213 ms

Finally 200 mhz single channel- Best time for 2048K FFT length:
154.486 ms. It looks like lost about 10%.

I guess I can be included in the group of A7N8X users struggling with
memory issues. I'll concede that I did not follow Asus's recomendation
and purchase from a recommended supplier. It looks like I will bite
the bullet and put out another $250 - $300 for good ram.

Here is the sad thing. I have a $400 E-Machine that came with an
AthlonXP 2400. I upgraded to 1 gig pc2100 ram (computer show stuff)
put in a hand me down Nvidia TI4400, and could play any of last years
games - including Flightsim 9. My "good" computer cost $125 for the
Asus board, $210 for an XP3200, and $200 for soon to me useless ram.
It won't run Flightsim 9!!!

Thank you for listening to my sad tale.

Frank
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 12, 2004 3:14:12 AM

There is a difference between name brand SDRAM and no name. About four
years ago I quitted using no name modules as they would develop bad cells
after a few months. The message in Win98 is "Windows registry is damaged.
Windows will restart and try to fix the problem...".

Since then I have stay with Crucial and Kingston. They will exchange memory
with you if you think there is a compatibility problem. The catch is you
pay shipping sending the memory back.

Btw, Micron makes memory chips and Crucial makes memory modules (and some
have non-Micron chips). Crucial modules have the Crucial name on a label
just like Kingston modules have theirs.

Dual channel mode may be 5% better than single channel in nForce2, but with
the i865/875 chipset (for Pentium 4) the improvement could be 40+%:
http://anandtech.com/printarticle.html?i=1839

> That Prime95 tip was an excellent resource. So far it looks as though
> I can run in single channel mode at full frequency...so far.
>
> Using Prime95 torture test, my PC failed within 4 minutes. My BIOS
> setup was the defaukt safe settings.
>
> Raising the voltage on the DIMMS to 2.8 volts allowd me to run an
> extra minute - failed in 5 minutes.
>
> The temperature and voltages displayed by the Asus probe looked very
> good. CPU 120F / case 80 F.
>
> Back in the BIOS, I changed the buss from 200 to 166. Upon rebooting I
> found an AthlonXP 2500. Prime95 torture test did not fail in 20 min.
>
> I switched the DIMM modules to the single channel locations, booted
> okay torture test was looking good at ten minutes.
>
> Raised the buss back to 200, torutre test was running just fine 20
> minutes later. I think that answers my original question about running
> in single channel mode - yes you can.
>
> I ran the Prime95 benchmarks:
>
> 1st. 200 mhz double channel -Best time for 2048K FFT length: 145.287
> ms (failed in 4 mnutes).
>
> 2nd. 166mhz double channel -Best time for 2048K FFT length: 172.709 ms
>
> 3rd. 166mhz single channel- Best time for 2048K FFT length: 182.213 ms
>
> Finally 200 mhz single channel- Best time for 2048K FFT length:
> 154.486 ms. It looks like lost about 10%.
>
> I guess I can be included in the group of A7N8X users struggling with
> memory issues. I'll concede that I did not follow Asus's recomendation
> and purchase from a recommended supplier. It looks like I will bite
> the bullet and put out another $250 - $300 for good ram.
>
> Here is the sad thing. I have a $400 E-Machine that came with an
> AthlonXP 2400. I upgraded to 1 gig pc2100 ram (computer show stuff)
> put in a hand me down Nvidia TI4400, and could play any of last years
> games - including Flightsim 9. My "good" computer cost $125 for the
> Asus board, $210 for an XP3200, and $200 for soon to me useless ram.
> It won't run Flightsim 9!!!
>
> Thank you for listening to my sad tale.
>
> Frank
December 12, 2004 5:27:48 AM

I am running Nanya PC2700 in one A7N8X-X and OCZ in my A7N8X Deluxe....go to
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

for alot more info...
December 13, 2004 7:55:12 PM

No such thing as running in DDR config.....
Dual or single channel mode yes.

!