Ink Cartridge Filling (Again)

I have filled my black #56 and tri-color #57 a couple of times with success
(Printer is HP 7660). Just the other day the unthinkable happened, and the
yellow ran out before I realized it. I usually do a refill when a cart when
about one-third ink left.

Now, after refilling and cleaning, the yellow is temperamental in that
printing, for example, a 5x7 photo, the yellow works fine for about half the
picture and then stops working.

As a test, I printed a 5" x 7" yellow-filled rectangle in Word, and sure
enough, the first 2" print yellow just fine.Then, basically, the yellow
"shuts down" for the rest of the rectangular area. Repeated cleaning does
not seem to help.

This says to me that the nozzles are not plugged, but gets tired, or
whatever after being asked to send yellow after a while.

Question 1. Any comments or suggestions before I discard the cart?

Question 2. When doing repeated cleaning on, for example, on the color
cartridge, I would like to remove the black #56 cartridge to save black ink
since the black cart needs no cleaning. Is the cleaning cycles effective on
the color cartridge when the black cartridge is removed during the cleaning
process?

Regards,
--
Dave C.

c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et

Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

I would refill it again, make sure it's printing OK for a short burst of yellow,
then just leave it for a few days before trying again. It may give time for
aerated ink/internal pressure to settle, one of which I think is your problem.
I've had a similar problem after a refill with cyan, it printed perfectly for a
short while then went out completely, which is obviously not a dried jet problem
as they're not all going to dry up together. A soak in 1/4" of very hot water
fixed it, but if it happens again I'll be trying the 'leave it a day or two once
it's working' method. As my head was still flowing ink OK if I dabbed it on
tissue but wouldn't print, I wonder if the problem is that too much ink 'hangs'
as a big droplet under the head and the jets can't fire through it.

"Dave C." <c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et> wrote in message
> I have filled my black #56 and tri-color #57 a couple of times with success
> (Printer is HP 7660). Just the other day the unthinkable happened, and the
> yellow ran out before I realized it. I usually do a refill when a cart when
> about one-third ink left.
>
> Now, after refilling and cleaning, the yellow is temperamental in that
> printing, for example, a 5x7 photo, the yellow works fine for about half the
> picture and then stops working.
>
> As a test, I printed a 5" x 7" yellow-filled rectangle in Word, and sure
> enough, the first 2" print yellow just fine.Then, basically, the yellow
> "shuts down" for the rest of the rectangular area. Repeated cleaning does
> not seem to help.
>
> This says to me that the nozzles are not plugged, but gets tired, or
> whatever after being asked to send yellow after a while.
>
> Question 1. Any comments or suggestions before I discard the cart?
>
> Question 2. When doing repeated cleaning on, for example, on the color
> cartridge, I would like to remove the black #56 cartridge to save black ink
> since the black cart needs no cleaning. Is the cleaning cycles effective on
> the color cartridge when the black cartridge is removed during the cleaning
> process?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Dave C.
>
> c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et
>
> Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

Steve, what you describe is exactly what seems to happen. Dabbing with a
tissue shows the ink flowing. I will wait for a few days while I do a
little color printing. If it doesn't improve, I will try soaking the head
in 1/4" of water.

--

> Steve, what you describe is exactly what seems to happen. Dabbing with a
> tissue shows the ink flowing. I will wait for a few days while I do a
> little color printing. If it doesn't improve, I will try soaking the head
> in 1/4" of water.

When I've had this problem it's usually an air bubble in the cart. It will
print for a bit then stop. If you are sure you put enough ink in DONT put in
any more. The solution for me is to put it "heads down" in two plastic bags
and twirl it round you head to give gravity a hand. Waiting a few days may
also work though!

Steve B.,

That worked perfectly. As you said, I put the cart in 1/4" hot water. When
the water came down to room temperature, I gently wiped the head, and the
cart printed as normal from that point on. Also, I had one cyan nozzle
blocked which hadn't been a problem, and that also freed up.

Thanks
--
> [...]

> > > This says to me that the nozzles are not plugged, but gets tired, or
> > > whatever after being asked to send yellow after a while.
> > >
> > > Question 1. Any comments or suggestions before I discard the cart?
> > >
> > > Question 2. When doing repeated cleaning on, for example, on the
color
> > > cartridge, I would like to remove the black #56 cartridge to save
black
> ink
> > > since the black cart needs no cleaning. Is the cleaning cycles
> effective on
> > > the color cartridge when the black cartridge is removed during the
> cleaning
> > > process?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Dave C.
> > >
> > > c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et
> > >
> > > Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

Glad to hear it. I wish there was another way though