Processors on Device Manager

OS: XP Pro SP1 (fully updated)
Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G
BIOS: F3
Processor: Intel P4, 1MB L2 Cache, 800-MHz System Bus 3.0-
GHz, HyperThreading compatable

When accessing the Device Manager, there is
no 'Processor' tab listed. The PC is also listed as
a "MPS Uniprocessor PC". To my understanding, a PC with
HyperThreading enabled should be listed as an "MPS
Multiprocessor PC", and should have 2 processors listed
in their tab. Also, two graphs should be shown in the
Task Manager, whereas only one currently is.

Device manager:
http:\\www.freepgs.com\chrisharrod\DevMan.JPG

Task manager:
http:\\www.freepgs.com\chrisharrod\TaskMan.JPG

The computer has been running games quite slowly, and
therefore i am not sure whether HyperThreading is
working, despite being Enabled in the BIOS.

Thanks for any help,
More about processors device manager

    Is this a home built computer? What it sounds like is the ACPI settings
    are not set properly in the BIOS. It should read ACPI Multiprocessor PC
    and you should have a Processors icon which shows 2 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
    4 CPU 3.0GHz under it. I would check the BIOS first and you may have to
    do a repair operation if Windows won't boot after enabling ACPI in the BIOS.

    Nathan McNulty

    M wrote:

    > OS: XP Pro SP1 (fully updated)
    > Motherboard: Giga-Byte GA-8IG1000 Pro-G
    > BIOS: F3
    > Processor: Intel P4, 1MB L2 Cache, 800-MHz System Bus 3.0-
    > GHz, HyperThreading compatable
    >
    > When accessing the Device Manager, there is
    > no 'Processor' tab listed. The PC is also listed as
    > a "MPS Uniprocessor PC". To my understanding, a PC with
    > HyperThreading enabled should be listed as an "MPS
    > Multiprocessor PC", and should have 2 processors listed
    > in their tab. Also, two graphs should be shown in the
    > Task Manager, whereas only one currently is.
    >
    > Device manager:
    > http:\\www.freepgs.com\chrisharrod\DevMan.JPG
    >
    > Task manager:
    > http:\\www.freepgs.com\chrisharrod\TaskMan.JPG
    >
    > The computer has been running games quite slowly, and
    > therefore i am not sure whether HyperThreading is
    > working, despite being Enabled in the BIOS.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,

    Yes it is a custom built comp.

    There is no ACPI area in the CMOS (actually there's only
    one mention of it anywhere). There's a copy of the manual
    at
    http://europe.giga-
    byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_8ipe1000g_e.pd
    Around page 35 is the BIOS section.

    The only options for ACPI are;
    S1(POS)
    S3(STI)

    Currently S1 is selected.

    That is interesting. There is no option and what you saw for ACPI was S1
    (Standby) and S3 (Hibernation). Did you originally install Windows XP
    on this computer or did you upgrade with the current version of Windows?
    There is no reason that it should install it as a MPS Uniprocessor if
    you installed Windows on this computer they way it is right now. You
    can always try a repair operation where you boot off the Windows XP CD,
    choose install, wait for it to find your existing installation, and then
    press R to repair. It will not lose any of your data and will simply
    repair the core components hopefully fixing your problem ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    > Yes it is a custom built comp.
    >
    > There is no ACPI area in the CMOS (actually there's only
    > one mention of it anywhere). There's a copy of the manual
    > at
    > http://europe.giga-
    > byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_8ipe1000g_e.pd
    > Around page 35 is the BIOS section.
    >
    > The only options for ACPI are;
    > S1(POS)
    > S3(STI)
    >
    > Currently S1 is selected.

    I'll give that a go.

    It was recently upgraded in hardware, but it had a fresh
    format afterwards. It's always been XP pro.

    Which command in help do i need to use to reinstall
    windows but onthing else? The setup it says;
    "Press R to repair"
    That brings up a DOS screen listing thewindows
    installation, after i put in the admin password, and
    type "help", i can't see anything that would do it.

    You are doing Recovery Console. You want to select Install, then press R
    after it finds your previous installation ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    > Which command in help do i need to use to reinstall
    > windows but onthing else? The setup it says;
    > "Press R to repair"
    > That brings up a DOS screen listing thewindows
    > installation, after i put in the admin password, and
    > type "help", i can't see anything that would do it.

    Thanks, all alive now :)

    So it now recognizes the ACPI Multiprocessor?

    Whenever you do such a large upgrade such as motherboard and CPU, you
    will always want to do a repair operation to the OS at the very least.
    My suggestion is to always do a clean install on a new hardware
    configuration ;)

    Nathan McNulty

Device Manager Processors Windows XP