dvd wont play in xp

I installed a dvd drive in a friend computer. The pc is
about a year old and runs on xp home. I added the dvd as
the slave on the secondary channel (cdr on master). xp
found the device correctly and loaded the drivers. A dvd
will not play. He has win media 9 and a decent graphics
card. The dvd drive will play cds and recognize data
disks. Does win med 9 natively support dvd playback? Do
I need to add something like powerdvd to make it work or
is it something else altogether?
3 answers Last reply
More about wont play

    You must add software to play DVDs - PowerDVD should work, as will many
    others.

    "Mike" <mklein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I installed a dvd drive in a friend computer. The pc is
    > about a year old and runs on xp home. I added the dvd as
    > the slave on the secondary channel (cdr on master). xp
    > found the device correctly and loaded the drivers. A dvd
    > will not play. He has win media 9 and a decent graphics
    > card. The dvd drive will play cds and recognize data
    > disks. Does win med 9 natively support dvd playback? Do
    > I need to add something like powerdvd to make it work or
    > is it something else altogether?

    You don't have to buy a dvd player software program, you can add just the
    codecs compatible with the Windows Media Player. Intervideo WinDVD is about
    69 dollars. The codecs to enable DVD playback in Media Player (also from
    Intervideo) is 15 dollars from this link:
    http://www.intervideo.com/products/custom/ms/windowsxp/media_pack.jsp

    Fitz

    Thanks for posting the info - I'll remember to pass it on to others.

    "Fitz" <akfitz@mtaonline.net> wrote in message
    > You don't have to buy a dvd player software program, you can add just the
    > codecs compatible with the Windows Media Player. Intervideo WinDVD is
    about
    > 69 dollars. The codecs to enable DVD playback in Media Player (also from
    > Intervideo) is 15 dollars from this link:
    > http://www.intervideo.com/products/custom/ms/windowsxp/media_pack.jsp
    >
    > Fitz

DVD Windows XP DVD Drives