dvd wont play in xp

Mike

Splendid

I installed a dvd drive in a friend computer. The pc is
about a year old and runs on xp home. I added the dvd as
the slave on the secondary channel (cdr on master). xp
found the device correctly and loaded the drivers. A dvd
will not play. He has win media 9 and a decent graphics
card. The dvd drive will play cds and recognize data
disks. Does win med 9 natively support dvd playback? Do
I need to add something like powerdvd to make it work or
is it something else altogether?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You must add software to play DVDs - PowerDVD should work, as will many
others.

"Mike" <mklein@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed a dvd drive in a friend computer. The pc is
> about a year old and runs on xp home. I added the dvd as
> the slave on the secondary channel (cdr on master). xp
> found the device correctly and loaded the drivers. A dvd
> will not play. He has win media 9 and a decent graphics
> card. The dvd drive will play cds and recognize data
> disks. Does win med 9 natively support dvd playback? Do
> I need to add something like powerdvd to make it work or
> is it something else altogether?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for posting the info - I'll remember to pass it on to others.