P4T533 RDRAM Board

Mike

Splendid

Ok, I am currently using a P4-2.4 none HT processor. Last year I purchased
a P4-3.06 HT processor swapped it in and crashed my system and had to reload
windows XP Pro.. While I have planned to buy a board that supports the
P4-3.06, it currently sits on my shelf staring at me! My first question
is: Is it possible to swap this processor in without crashing my system or
should I just purchase a new board before the 476 pin platform is gone.
Second question: What is the hottest 476 pin P4 board now at ASUS? Any
suggestions? Thanks, Mike

Mike

Splendid

Replace the 476 pin with 478 pin sorry...

"Mike" <recons@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I am currently using a P4-2.4 none HT processor. Last year I
> purchased a P4-3.06 HT processor swapped it in and crashed my system and
> had to reload windows XP Pro.. While I have planned to buy a board that
> supports the P4-3.06, it currently sits on my shelf staring at me! My
> first question is: Is it possible to swap this processor in without
> crashing my system or should I just purchase a new board before the 476
> pin platform is gone. Second question: What is the hottest 476 pin P4
> board now at ASUS? Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

Paul

Splendid

In article <m7_ud.12287$nC2.8838@fe09.lga>, "Mike" <recons@nospam.com> wrote:

> Replace the 476 pin with 478 pin sorry...
>

> "Mike" <recons@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, I am currently using a P4-2.4 none HT processor. Last year I
> > purchased a P4-3.06 HT processor swapped it in and crashed my system and
> > had to reload windows XP Pro.. While I have planned to buy a board that
> > supports the P4-3.06, it currently sits on my shelf staring at me! My
> > first question is: Is it possible to swap this processor in without
> > crashing my system or should I just purchase a new board before the 476
> > pin platform is gone. Second question: What is the hottest 476 pin P4
> > board now at ASUS? Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

You can see posts in Google, such as by Barry:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=asqc9v%243an%241%40news6.svr.pol.co.uk

There is mention of production dates and revisions, implying there
is an issue there. The cpusupport page mentions a PCB revision of
1.03 (should be printed next to the motherboard name), but if you look
around Google a bit more, you may find more references to production
dates, and whether the Northbridge has a fan on it or not.

Type in P4T533, then scroll to bottom of page:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

There is another post about production date here:
http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=atjjuq%24ihu%2407%241%40news.t-online.com

I have a P4C800-E Deluxe, but there are other P4P800 family boards
that might be just as nice. The P4C800-E is currently $180 at
Newegg. If you want something cheaper, you can also use the
cpusupport web page above, and use the CPU Name option, to
search for all motherboards that handle a 3.06Ghz. P4P800SE
at $96 is a good deal cheaper, and uses an Intel chipset
for the processor. I picked dual channel boards, so you
can use two identical sticks of DDR memory (i.e. if you planned
on 512MB, just buy 2 x 256MB sticks and run in dual channel).

Before you buy any board, check Google for problems with a
particular model, and download the manual and review included
peripherals and what options are in the BIOS, before buying.

Another option would be to hold onto the 3.06GHz, and wait
until people with FSB533 motherboards need to upgrade, as the
3.06GHz is the top of its line and sooner or later will be
in demand (at least until Powerleap runs out of them, which
could be a while). You can then Ebay it or do a private
sale on a local newsgroup for your city.

HTH,
Paul

Some of the early P4T533's had a bug that only showed up when used with
high-power CPUs. It sounds like you have one of those. The problem was
fixed around October of 2002 The 1st 2 digits of the serial number give
the date of production, so if it's 29 or less, you MAY have a bad board.
Also, at the same time that they fixed this, they added a fan to the
chipset heatsink (the fan was not the fix, but it was added at the same
time). If you have a s/n earlier than 2A (e.g. 29 or less), and you do
not have a fan on the heatsink, then most likely your motherboard has
"the problem" (which is believed to have been in the onboard Vcore
switching power supply).

If you have a "good" P4T533 motherboard, you should have no problems
switching from a 2.4 GHz to a 3.06 GHz CPU. You should not have to
really do much of anything except change the CPU.

[One caveat, update to the latest BIOS, a VERY early BIOS could be your
problem. Be sure you have a version that supports HT if you are going
to use a 3.06 CPU].

The P4T533 with a 3.06 CPU is still, even today, pretty competitive.
RDRAM is faster than DDR; consequently, it will just about hold it's own
with any current MB, memory and a 3.0GHz CPU (the high memory throughput
counterbalances the slower FSB (533 vs. 800 MHz)). It's very difficult
to justtify upgrading.

To resolve this, you need to RMA the board to Asus. They are well aware
of the problem, and the board has a 3-year warranty, so as of today,
they are all still under warranty.