Safely Remove Hardware Task Bar Icon Missing

Hi All,

Recently, the icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" has
disappeared from my Task Bar Notification area (System
Tray). It does not return even after rebooting. I've
searched the web and cannot find any definitive reason why
this has happened or how to fix it.

I have found a workaround for hardware removal, by going to
device manager, clicking Properties for the drive I want to
remove and clicking the link for Safely Remove Hardware in
the Policies section of the properties.

It works, but it's cumbersome and time consuming. I'd
really like to get the icon back in the Task Bar.

Any suggestions?

TIA, Chuck
5 answers Last reply
More about safely remove hardware task icon missing

    Right click on the taskbar, click Properties, check Hide inactive Icons
    if it isn't already checked, click Customize, scroll down until you find
    Safely Remove Hardware, click to the right of it and select Always show.

    Nathan McNulty

    Chuck Spindler wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Recently, the icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" has
    > disappeared from my Task Bar Notification area (System
    > Tray). It does not return even after rebooting. I've
    > searched the web and cannot find any definitive reason why
    > this has happened or how to fix it.
    >
    > I have found a workaround for hardware removal, by going to
    > device manager, clicking Properties for the drive I want to
    > remove and clicking the link for Safely Remove Hardware in
    > the Policies section of the properties.
    >
    > It works, but it's cumbersome and time consuming. I'd
    > really like to get the icon back in the Task Bar.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > TIA, Chuck

    I have the same issue still (further to my post 15/07, currently on page 3) :

    "Different USB ports made no difference.

    I have now tried setting the Safely Remove function to "Always Show" in the systray by going into the Properties. However, it's still not giving me the icon when either of the devices are connected.

    I have also ran "sfc /scannow" from Start, Run & this did reinstall some original dll's from my Windows CD but no fix here either.

    Any more ideas ? Please excuse my lack of !"

    Regards, Gavin.

  4. Anonymous said:

    Hi All,

    Recently, the icon for "Safely Remove Hardware" has
    disappeared from my Task Bar Notification area (System
    Tray). It does not return even after rebooting. I've
    searched the web and cannot find any definitive reason why
    this has happened or how to fix it.

    I have found a workaround for hardware removal, by going to
    device manager, clicking Properties for the drive I want to
    remove and clicking the link for Safely Remove Hardware in
    the Policies section of the properties.

    It works, but it's cumbersome and time consuming. I'd
    really like to get the icon back in the Task Bar.

    Any suggestions?

    TIA, Chuck
  5. Heres how to get the Safely Remove Device Icon back on your Windows XP Task Bar

    Go to MY COMPUTER
    Right click on the device to remove
    Select Prperties "Button"
    Go to Policies "Tab"
    Check that Optimize Preformance is selected (if not select it click it will request a restart select yes after restart come back to this point) if so click on the Blue Highlighted Safely Remove Hardware this should allow you to safely remove and put the Icon back on your Task Bar.

    P.S. If someone out thier can use this put it out there.
    Worked for me 9-29-2013

Hardware Device Manager Microsoft Windows XP