Cannot start or get into BIOS anymore, no screen anymore, ..

Hi
Yes, the 2x2 power cable is connected to the motherboard.
This is what I found on the label off the PS and what I measured (with
a Fluke 175 multimeter):
+3.3V 22A (measured 3.358V) orange wire
+5V 21A (measured 5.05V) red
+12V1 10A (11.92V) yellow
+12V2 15A (12.05V) yellow/black: 2x2 connector
5Vsb 2A (5.014V) purple
-12V 0.3A (-11.53V) blue
I think that these are good voltages except the -11.53V (low), could
this be a problem.
I also disconnected the 2 harddrives, floppy and DVD-writer and I
still have no screen. I think the motherboard is defect?
Jef
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot start bios anymore screen anymore

    In article <1fd2b5c2.0412121246.6bf37b4d@posting.google.com>,
    jef.damen@tiscali.be (jef) wrote:

    > Hi
    > Yes, the 2x2 power cable is connected to the motherboard.
    > This is what I found on the label off the PS and what I measured (with
    > a Fluke 175 multimeter):
    > +3.3V 22A (measured 3.358V) orange wire
    > +5V 21A (measured 5.05V) red
    > +12V1 10A (11.92V) yellow
    > +12V2 15A (12.05V) yellow/black: 2x2 connector
    > 5Vsb 2A (5.014V) purple
    > -12V 0.3A (-11.53V) blue
    > I think that these are good voltages except the -11.53V (low), could
    > this be a problem.
    > I also disconnected the 2 harddrives, floppy and DVD-writer and I
    > still have no screen. I think the motherboard is defect?
    > Jef

    Power looks good, so that probably isn't it.
    A 5% spec on voltage would leave -11.4 as the minimum, so
    it is still passing. And, the -12V might only be used
    by the serial port.

    If you motherboard had vocal POST, you could listen for
    error messages, but without that, debugging will be harder.

    As Ender mentioned, if wouldn't be a bad idea to check
    the LGA775 socket, and make sure the processor is seated
    properly. Since the speaker didn't beep, I think that means
    the BIOS is no longer executing, and it could be the processor
    has a bad contact with the socket.

    The socket on these boards is "high tech", and is sensitive
    to contamination. You cannot touch the pins inside the
    socket with your fingertips, as the oils and salt from
    human contact will contaminate the contact. I doubt there
    is any cleaning process that wouldn't make the situation
    worse. That is why the manual will instruct you to keep
    the plastic insert, and use it to protect the socket
    when it isn't populated. I hope you don't have a socket
    problem...

    (The socket is also a reason I wouldn't be buying a refurb
    board or a used board with an LGA775 on it.)

    If you do decide to try the CMOS clearing procedure,
    unplug the computer before doing it. You don't want
    +5VSB to be operating, because at least in motherboard
    designs in the past, the CMOS jumper ends up pulling
    current from +5VSB, if you leave the computer powered
    while doing the procedure. That can burn the ORing diode
    that selects current from +5VSB or the coin cell battery,
    to run the Southbridge RTC/CMOS block. Unplugging the
    computer will keep it safe.

    About the only other debugging tool you can use as an
    end user, is a "POST card". This is a PCI/ISA card that
    has a two digit display, and any time the BIOS writes a
    value to I/O port 80, the data written shows on the two
    digit display. If the display digits change rapidly,
    then the BIOS is executing. If the display stays at
    0x00 or 0xFF, the board is probably not executing BIOS
    code. The reason the product is square, is it has
    contacts on two edges - one edge plugs into an ISA
    socket, the other plugs into a PCI socket, and PCI
    is what you've got. Here is a sample product - at
    one time, these were $100 each.

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=44943&item=6728900469&rd=1

    The two digit codes are listed on http://bioscentral.com/
    if you want to see what kind of info is made available
    by a two digit code. Since newly released BIOS can
    introduce new codes, they might not all be listed.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:59:53 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

    snip

    >If you do decide to try the CMOS clearing procedure,
    >unplug the computer before doing it. You don't want
    >+5VSB to be operating, because at least in motherboard
    >designs in the past, the CMOS jumper ends up pulling
    >current from +5VSB, if you leave the computer powered
    >while doing the procedure. That can burn the ORing diode
    >that selects current from +5VSB or the coin cell battery,
    >to run the Southbridge RTC/CMOS block. Unplugging the
    >computer will keep it safe.

    Paul,
    What if all I want to do is replace an old CMOS battery before it
    fails?
    (I was thinking that if I did it while the computer was powered on,
    there wouldn't be a need to re-enter all my settings afterward.)

    Is it also dangerous to replace a button battery with the power on??

    Ron

    In article <1ahur0l4iuhuu6ms890lin92tbha52gt5i@4ax.com>,
    millerdot90@osu.edu wrote:

    > On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 21:59:53 -0500, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:
    >
    > snip
    > >
    > >If you do decide to try the CMOS clearing procedure,
    > >unplug the computer before doing it. You don't want
    > >+5VSB to be operating, because at least in motherboard
    > >designs in the past, the CMOS jumper ends up pulling
    > >current from +5VSB, if you leave the computer powered
    > >while doing the procedure. That can burn the ORing diode
    > >that selects current from +5VSB or the coin cell battery,
    > >to run the Southbridge RTC/CMOS block. Unplugging the
    > >computer will keep it safe.
    >
    > Paul,
    > What if all I want to do is replace an old CMOS battery before it
    > fails?
    > (I was thinking that if I did it while the computer was powered on,
    > there wouldn't be a need to re-enter all my settings afterward.)
    >
    > Is it also dangerous to replace a button battery with the power on??
    >
    > Ron

    If you look at the figure on page 67, it looks safe to remove
    the battery with +5VSB still running. This circuit implies
    the +5VSB is regulated down to 3VSB, before it gets to the
    Southbridge. Nothing you do to the battery, including shorting
    the socket, should do anything, due to the lower of the two
    diodes being reverse biased.

    http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25251601.pdf

    Would I do it to my motherboard ?

    Nope.

    The real question in the back of my mind, is how many ways are
    there to design that circuit, and will all of them share
    the benign characteristic mentioned above. For me, it is easier
    to just write the settings down on a piece of paper, or try and
    find a copy of CMOS.exe .

    ******
    ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUSCOM/BIOS/BIOS_FLASH_UTILS/aflash221.zip

    Inside the ZIP file, you'll find a copy of CMOS.exe. Here is the contents
    of a post found in groups.google.com using "print bios settings cmos.exe"
    as search terms. I cannot say how many motherboard models this program
    supports, or whether the program works only directly in DOS or
    a command prompt window. Also, don't use the other program called
    clrcmos or something.

    "Included in this zip is a file CMOS.exe. You can use this to
    copy your bios settings to a file which you can print out.

    This is the text file included in the zip in english:

    What do CLRCMOS.EXE and CMOS.EXE do? Where can I get them ?
    In the AFLASH archive at ASUS Germany FTP Server (see one
    paragraph above) both CLRCMOS and CMOS are included.

    CLRCMOS clears the CMOS (saved BIOS setup data like what
    drives you have, what RAM timing parameters you are using)
    and basically has the same effet as shorting the CMOS Reset
    jumper (or solder points) on your mainboard (see here).
    You should clear the CMOS after every flash to a different
    BIOS version. For details see the next paragraph.

    CMOS saves the BIOS setup settings to a file. This is
    nessecary since in newer AWARD BIOSes you can't use
    "print screen" to print out your settings.

    Usage is: " CMOS /L filename " for example
    " CMOS /L settings.txt "
    ******

    You may need to run CMOS.exe from a MSDOS boot disk. I don't
    know if it works from DOS in Windows or not. I also don't know
    if it could handle either Award or AMI BIOS - it may rely on a
    BIOS hook to get the data.

    Maybe print_screen works on your BIOS ?

    Paul

Asus Motherboards