Help! BIOS flash gone bad

I own a P5AD2 Deluxe motherboard. I had a BIOS flash freeze on me, and now I
can't start up my machine at all, not even to boot from a floppy or CD in
order to reflash. As soon as I power on, I get the "System failed CPU test"
voice message, and there isn't even any signal going to the monitor. I tried
removing the CMOS battery and using the jumpers to clear CMOS, but nothing
changed.

What are my options at this point? Is there anything I can do to reflash the
BIOS, or am I stuck getting an RMA from Asus? I know there are options for
ordering a new BIOS chip to install oneself, but I'd rather not do that. Any
other possibilities?
7 answers Last reply
More about help bios flash

    also...you can not get an RMA for a bad flash. If you get an RMA and they
    diagnose back to the flash you will be charged for the new board and/or
    recovery of the old.

    Here are your options directly from ASUS:

    Dear Sir/Madam,

    Thank you for your support for our products!

    Please start by clearing the system c-mos memory following the
    procedure in your manual. Make sure the power AND the battery on the
    motherboard is removed before shorting the CLR RTC solder points or
    jumper pins. Short the pins for at least 20-30 seconds.

    If this is still not working, you can have your old BIOS chip
    reprogrammed or order a new, reprogrammed chip from us.

    ********************************** IMPORTANT

    Please refer to your manual to locate the BIOS chip on your
    motherboard. If the chip is removable, it will be fitted into a
    socket. Please be careful when removing the chip--do not damage the
    socket or the chip. Make sure you remove the chip from the socket, but
    DO NOT remove the socket from the motherboard.

    Here is the BIOS pricing guide, along with the procedure to obtain a
    new/reflashed BIOS chip.

    Pricing Guide for Continental United States Orders:

    REFLASHED CHIP - Customer mails in their BIOS chip.

    Flash sent UPS Ground (roughly 2-10 days)...$5.00 (this price covers
    S&H...the flash is free)

    Flash sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$20.00 (this price covers
    S&H...the flash is free)

    NEW CHIP

    New chip sent UPS Ground (roughly 2-10 days)...$25.00 (this price
    covers the chip and S&H)

    New chip sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$40.00 (this price covers the
    chip and S&H)

    Pricing Guide for Hawaii and Puerto Rico Orders:

    REFLASHED CHIP (Customer's original BIOS chip)

    Flash sent UPS 2nd Day (2 days)...$20.00 (this price covers S&H...the
    flash is free)

    Flash sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$30.00 (this price covers
    S&H...the flash is free)

    NEW CHIP

    New chip sent UPS 2nd Day (2 days)...$35.00 (this price covers the chip
    and S&H)

    New chip sent UPS Overnight (next day)...$55.00 (this price covers the
    chip and S&H)

    We can only ship UPS 2nd Day Air, or Overnight, to Hawaii.

    Pricing Guide for Canadian Orders:

    FLASHED OR NEW CHIP - Via FEDEX Ground Delivery

    $35.00 (USD, standard price for Canada)

    We cannot ship Overnight to Canada due to customs.

    Sending Bios Chips Through the Mail

    Make sure to include the BIOS chip, your name, mailing address, daytime
    phone number, motherboard model number, version of the BIOS you would
    like flashed and payment to the address below.

    ***************************IMPORTANT NOTICE*************************

    When you send a chip to be flashed, you must put the chip in a hard,
    protective container. If not, the chip could possibly arrive damaged.

    We DO NOT accept entire motherboards, only BIOS chips. Also, we do not
    accept damaged BIOS chips, so please package your BIOS securely (see
    the notice above). We can only send BIOS chips within the Continental
    United States, Hawaii and Canada.

    Methods of Payment

    To place an order over the phone, we accept MasterCard or Visa. If you
    choose to send payment through the mail, we accept personal checks (but
    not starter checks), company checks, and money orders. WE DO NOT HAVE
    A BILLING OPTION. If you wish to purchase a chip through the mail and
    want to pay with a credit card:

    DO NOT SEND CREDIT CARD INFORMATION THROUGH THE MAIL. Please attach a
    letter advising us to contact you for payment information.

    Please send BIOS chips to:

    ASUS Technology
    Attn: BIOS Dept
    7100 Intermodal Drive
    Suite A
    Louisville, KY 40258

    Please do not respond to this email. If you need further assistance
    please contact our BIOS department at 502-995-0883 x7172.

    Please note that the following boards have BIOS chips that may be
    non-removable:

    CUSL2-C
    CUSL2
    P4T
    P4T-E
    P4B
    CUR-DLS
    CUSI-FX

    If the BIOS chip is not in a socket, and is instead soldered directly
    to the motherboard, you must contact our RMA department for BIOS
    repairs. You may contact them by telephone @ 510-739-3777 option 3, or
    e-mail them at:

    rma@asus.com

    Please provide your case number and your motherboard's serial number
    when contacting them.

    http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf

    "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

    > http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf

    Thanks very much for the link. Good information there. Unfortunately,
    neither of those methods help me. My machine doesn't even try to access the
    floppy drive when I power it on, so having a floppy in the drive with the
    BIOS on it doesn't help. And I can't hot-swap/hot-flash, as I don't have
    another motherboard with the same type of BIOS chip. I guess I'm left at the
    mercy of Asus, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

    XOffender wrote:
    > "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.amptron.com/documents/Recover.pdf
    >

    > Thanks very much for the link. Good information there. Unfortunately,
    > neither of those methods help me. My machine doesn't even try to access the
    > floppy drive when I power it on, so having a floppy in the drive with the
    > BIOS on it doesn't help. And I can't hot-swap/hot-flash, as I don't have
    > another motherboard with the same type of BIOS chip. I guess I'm left at the
    > mercy of Asus, unless anyone else has a suggestion.

    The mobos don't have to be identical to do a hot flash.

    Have you tried to cold start the computer with your Asus installation CD that
    came with the motherboard? I believe it should have a BIOS recovery feature,
    but not sure. Would be worth a try anyway.

    good luck....

Asus BIOS Flash Motherboards Product