"Input signal out of range"

To better understand resolution I changed mine from
800x600 to 1280x1024. The system tried to restart itself
and during startup I received the following message: Inpu
signal out of range. When I statred in Safe Mode and went
to Display Properties the resolution was stuck on
640x480(?) and would not let adjust the slider. I have
never seen this error message before. Please help.

When you changed the resolution, did not a button appear to allow you to
"test" the new resolution. If it fails the test, the resolution reverts
automatically to what it was. But you just clicked on apply, without
testing.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"WOLLAM" <wollam@cox.net> wrote in message
> To better understand resolution I changed mine from
> 800x600 to 1280x1024. The system tried to restart itself
> and during startup I received the following message: Inpu
> signal out of range. When I statred in Safe Mode and went
> to Display Properties the resolution was stuck on
> 640x480(?) and would not let adjust the slider. I have
> never seen this error message before. Please help.

Yup, you chose to restart instead. Next time use the apply without
restarting option. After 10 seconds, the screen will return to you if
you do not click on OK.

When in Safe Mode, you cannot change the resolution because the drivers
are running in a Safe Mode (compatibility). You could have tried VGA
Mode when the recovery options showed up as that would have reset your
resolution/refresh rate ;)

Nathan McNulty

Richard Urban wrote:

> When you changed the resolution, did not a button appear to allow you to
> "test" the new resolution. If it fails the test, the resolution reverts
> automatically to what it was. But you just clicked on apply, without
> testing.

Greetings --

I don't believe that display settings can be changed in Safe Mode,
as only the default, built-in WinXP VGA drivers are used. You'll need
to either change the settings while logged in normally, or reboot into
"VGA Mode," in which WinXP uses the video adapter's default VGA driver
and settings.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you: