How to Setup my E-mail account ?

June 21, 2004 3:34:17 AM

my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon information
option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?

More about : setup mail account

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 3:34:18 AM

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:34:17 +0800, "xiangdong" <xd1205@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon information
>option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?

It uses the same name and password as your incoming mail server. If
you want more control, check out nPOPw
(http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) a free third party
alternative.

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices

"Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices"
<askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote:

> Funny you say this. I've been using this for two years, handling two
> accounts that easily do over 100 messages per day, and it works nearly
> flawless for me. I can't find the many bugs you're talking about.

Which implies it may not work reliably on the latest iPAQ's or
PPC2003. That certainly is consistent with my experience.

> Since the basic idea behind nPOP by the original author was to offer
> one application for many different OSes (both desktop based, and
> Pocket PC based) the application doesn't use the standard UI
> guidelines for Pocket PC programs. So much is true.

I don't see why one must necessarily follow the other. It's sloppy
file structure, plain and simple. Why should anyone have to clean up
after a lazy programmer? (Sounds like you're chummy with the author)

> Then again, there's always people who prefer window dressing over
> functionality. ;)

Don't mistake window-dressing for usability. Not everyone that uses an
iPAQ is a techie. And frankly, you as a MVP, shouldn't be
recommending 'garage' quality software in this group.

A_C
June 22, 2004 8:45:43 PM

On 22 Jun 2004 07:31:35 -0700, Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com (Agent_C)
wrote:

>Which implies it may not work reliably on the latest iPAQ's or
>PPC2003. That certainly is consistent with my experience.

Using an iPAQ 2215, running Windows Mobile 2003, using an iPAQ 3870
running Windows Mobile 2003, using a Dell Axim X5, running Windows
Mobile 2003, using a Jornada 720, running Handheld PC 2000.

>I don't see why one must necessarily follow the other. It's sloppy
>file structure, plain and simple. Why should anyone have to clean up
>after a lazy programmer? (Sounds like you're chummy with the author)

I think it's end users who aren't worried about where the files are.
They just are worried if something works or not. And cleaning up is
very easy: delete the complete directory and you're done. No registry
fidgeting, no left over system files. But if you're tremendously
worried that a program doesn't follow your logic, no this isn't for
you.

I'm not chummy with the author (I wouldn't even know who it is), but I
am chummy with the program. At the time when it was available only in
a Japanese "all your messages belong to us" translation, I hooked up
the original programmer with a fellow MVP to do some translation. Why
I like this program, is because it's the only one that really works if
you want to have a scheduled multi-account check of your e-mail
messages, it gives full control over your POP server, and it has good
SMTP functionality. If you don't need this all, or it doesn't work for
you, clearly this program isn't for you. Personally, I wouldn't know
where I'd be without nPOP on my Pocket PC.

>Don't mistake window-dressing for usability. Not everyone that uses an
>iPAQ is a techie. And frankly, you as a MVP, shouldn't be
>recommending 'garage' quality software in this group.

That's your point of view. Google on nPOP in this newsgroup, and
you'll find quite a few "thank you"s from people who now can send
messages from their Pocket PCs, where they previously couldn't. What
do you think? Should I not recommend this, until a better looking
program comes along that you find functional? Or shall I recommend
this in spite of its quirks (which undeniably are there), because it
can help people to achieve their goal today?

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
June 27, 2004 12:17:12 AM

Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:34:17 +0800, "xiangdong" <xd1205@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon information
>>option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?
>

> It uses the same name and password as your incoming mail server. If
> you want more control, check out nPOPw
> (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) a free third party
> alternative.

What a stupid design. it would have taken 10 minutes for Microsoft to
add in a another form for the input of these details.

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:17:12 +0100, Marc <see@signature.url> wrote:

>What a stupid design.

I agree that the lack of this functionality in Inbox is simply
frustrating. :(

--
Marlof Bregonje
Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
June 29, 2004 2:04:30 PM

What is an MVP?

Is it something official to microsoft or some invented title?

<askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:17:12 +0100, Marc <see@signature.url> wrote:
>
> >What a stupid design.
>
> I agree that the lack of this functionality in Inbox is simply
> frustrating. :(
>
> --
> Marlof Bregonje
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 2:04:31 PM

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:cbrerd$fe7$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> What is an MVP?
>
> Is it something official to microsoft or some invented title?
>

> Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> <askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 20:17:12 +0100, Marc <see@signature.url> wrote:
>>
>> >What a stupid design.
>>
>> I agree that the lack of this functionality in Inbox is simply
>> frustrating. :(
>>
>> --
>> Marlof Bregonje
>> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile

---
June 29, 2004 2:07:49 PM

What is imark.co.uk all about?

Is it some business?

Your website has no explanation.

Marc <see@signature.url> wrote in message
> Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:34:17 +0800, "xiangdong" <xd1205@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon
information
> >>option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?
> >

> > It uses the same name and password as your incoming mail server. If
> > you want more control, check out nPOPw
> > (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) a free third party
> > alternative.
> >

> What a stupid design. it would have taken 10 minutes for Microsoft to
> add in a another form for the input of these details.
>
> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.
June 29, 2004 4:45:00 PM

What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?

Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
news:o fDhVWcXEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > What is an MVP?
> >
> > Is it something official to microsoft or some invented title?
> >

> > Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
> > <askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message

> >> I agree that the lack of this functionality in Inbox is simply
> >> frustrating. :(
> >>
> >> --
> >> Marlof Bregonje
> >> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile
> >

> ---
June 29, 2004 4:45:01 PM

Ethics...

--

"sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:cbro8b$i2$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?
>

> Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> news:o fDhVWcXEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > What is an MVP?
>> >
>> > Is it something official to microsoft or some invented title?
>> >

>> > Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
>> > <askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message

---
June 29, 2004 8:09:08 PM

"sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?

Nothing at all
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 8:15:47 PM

Detailed product knowledge across a wide range of MS and non MS
products.

Cheers - Neil ;-))

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:45:00 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?
>

>Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>news:o fDhVWcXEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>benefit of all of us...
>rights...
>>
>> "sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> > What is an MVP?
>> >
>> > Is it something official to microsoft or some invented title?
>> >

>> > Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices
>> > <askforit@thenewsgroup.address.invalid> wrote in message

>> ---

June 30, 2004 1:17:40 AM

MVP = boosting Microsofts reputation and saving money in the process by
getting unpaid staff to do its job for it.

Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Detailed product knowledge across a wide range of MS and non MS
> products.
>
> Cheers - Neil ;-))
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:45:00 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?
> >

> >Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
> >news:o fDhVWcXEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;mvpfaqs
> >>
> >> --
> >> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)
> >>
> >> Please post *ALL* questions and replies to the news group for the
mutual
> >benefit of all of us...
> >> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >rights...
> >>
> >> "sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote in message

> >> ---

June 30, 2004 7:20:59 PM

Do you really think MS has nuttin better for its staff to do than
answering hundreds of dumbass questions a day ? I dont mean yours, but
really, in general the quality of questions asked is desparate, it's a
miracle anything ever works ;-) I guess thats where we come in

Speaking for me only, I wa sanswering these questions for 3+ years day
in day out before you came along and suggested I was MS's unpaid
staff... hmm how do *other* newsgroups work then ? Osmosis ?

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:17:40 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
wrote:

>MVP = boosting Microsofts reputation and saving money in the process by
>getting unpaid staff to do its job for it.
>

>Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Detailed product knowledge across a wide range of MS and non MS
>> products.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil ;-))
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:45:00 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >What is to stop me adding MVP after my name then?
>> >

>> >Sooner Al <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> >news:o fDhVWcXEHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

>mutual
>> >benefit of all of us...
>> >rights...

July 1, 2004 5:14:50 PM

I am sure you are doing a good job and are valued but I just question
microsoft having their name in your signature.
I thought your worked for microsoft before I asked what an MVP was.

> Do you really think MS has nuttin better for its staff to do than
> answering hundreds of dumbass questions a day ? I dont mean yours, but
> really, in general the quality of questions asked is desparate, it's a
> miracle anything ever works ;-) I guess thats where we come in
>
> Speaking for me only, I wa sanswering these questions for 3+ years day
> in day out before you came along and suggested I was MS's unpaid
> staff... hmm how do *other* newsgroups work then ? Osmosis ?
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:17:40 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >MVP = boosting Microsofts reputation and saving money in the process by
> >getting unpaid staff to do its job for it.
> >

> >Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
> >> Detailed product knowledge across a wide range of MS and non MS
> >> products.
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil ;-))

> >mutual

July 1, 2004 5:27:57 PM

Sorry, no I dont work for MS (never have) - MVP is a designation for
people who MS think work hard in their respective fields, but we're
not affiliated to MS in any way.

I'm free to recommend (and do) any solutions which are appropriate,
and some days to post in a narky manner just like anybody else ;-)

If it helps any to know, I'm a PHP/MySQL developer mostly working on
non MS source platforms like linux or BSD. In general I prefer open
source stuff where I can get it. I'd recommend that as happily as an
MS product if it does the job thats needed.

I just do the digital media thing in my spare time (LOL @ 'spare') and
somehow MS realised I was busting a gut over it - there's no pay or
anything like that involved tho we do sometimes get early product
releases and the odd magazine free.

HTH
Neil

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 13:14:50 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I am sure you are doing a good job and are valued but I just question
>microsoft having their name in your signature.
>I thought your worked for microsoft before I asked what an MVP was.
>
>Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Do you really think MS has nuttin better for its staff to do than
>> answering hundreds of dumbass questions a day ? I dont mean yours, but
>> really, in general the quality of questions asked is desparate, it's a
>> miracle anything ever works ;-) I guess thats where we come in
>>
>> Speaking for me only, I wa sanswering these questions for 3+ years day
>> in day out before you came along and suggested I was MS's unpaid
>> staff... hmm how do *other* newsgroups work then ? Osmosis ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:17:40 +0000 (UTC), "sam" <sam@nospam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >MVP = boosting Microsofts reputation and saving money in the process by
>> >getting unpaid staff to do its job for it.
>> >

>> >Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media] <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message

>> >mutual

July 3, 2004 2:06:29 AM

Greetings,
Does anyone know where am I able to find (upgrades)software for a Casio -
CasioPeia E-15 Pocket PC running Microsoft's Windows CE + WinCE Services 2.2

That came with 'bundled' software Cassiopeia Ver. 2.11W1

It currently runs perfectly (applications), but it doesn't 'sync' with my
PC. I'm running XP Pro - though I'm going to update my 'sync' drivers to
the latest one? I'm hoping it works?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
K.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:21:03 PM

Hello Marc,

I have a Dell Axim X30 using PocketPC 2003 and also need to be able to have
a separate username and password for my smtp. Do you know if nPOPw will work
with PocketPC 2003?

Thanks,

David

"Marc" wrote:

> Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:34:17 +0800, "xiangdong" <xd1205@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >

> >>my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon information
> >>option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?
> >

> > It uses the same name and password as your incoming mail server. If
> > you want more control, check out nPOPw
> > (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) a free third party
> > alternative.
> >

> What a stupid design. it would have taken 10 minutes for Microsoft to
> add in a another form for the input of these details.
>
> --
> Marc
> See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

Anonymous
August 20, 2004 7:07:02 AM

Hello,

I've downloaded nPOP.exe and can not seem to get it to install. I'm
currently using a Dell Axim with a 624 Xscale processor. I down loaded the
the nPOP.exe in my programs file folder on the pocketPC and attempted to run
this application.

The error msg. stated that nPOP could not run on this system.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions????

David

"Marlof Bregonje, MS-MVP/Mobile Devices" wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 23:34:17 +0800, "xiangdong" <xd1205@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >my SMTP server requires authentcation, but I can't find logon information
> >option in PocketPC outlook, what can I do ?
>
> It uses the same name and password as your incoming mail server. If
> you want more control, check out nPOPw
> (http://www.wibble-wobble.com/wince/npopw/) a free third party
> alternative.
>
> --
> Marlof Bregonje
> Microsoft MVP - Mobile Devices
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:47:53 PM

sam wrote:
> What is imark.co.uk all about?
>
> Is it some business?
>
> Your website has no explanation.

It's a personal home page. The server is used for sharing files mainly.
Not much on public display except my email address etc.

--
marcwic1234