hard drive not being seen on install

Mike

Splendid

Hi i have had to reinstall win XP pro. I have 2 hard drives, one on the
Primary Ide Chanel, the other as a SATA drive. The bios shows both drives as
ok. When I install XP, I come to the option of selecting the partion, it
shows the slave drive, (IDE primary channel), but shows the other drive as
an unknown disc and calls it an atpi disc. I have tried running a maxtor
powermax but that comes up as "requires dos". Can anyone please help?

This is because Windows does not have the drivers for your SATA
controller. When you are booting off the Windows XP CD, it offers you
the ability to install these drivers by pressing F6. There may be a
floppy with the drivers that came with your drive?

The only other thing I can think of is try using XP Setup to delete the
partition on the SATA drive and format it and see if that works. It
also could be because you have it as a dynamic disk.

Nathan McNulty

Mike wrote:

> Hi i have had to reinstall win XP pro. I have 2 hard drives, one on the
> Primary Ide Chanel, the other as a SATA drive. The bios shows both drives as
> ok. When I install XP, I come to the option of selecting the partion, it
> shows the slave drive, (IDE primary channel), but shows the other drive as
> an unknown disc and calls it an atpi disc. I have tried running a maxtor
> powermax but that comes up as "requires dos". Can anyone please help?

Mike

Splendid

Hi, thanks for that!

I understand what you are saying, but i did not get any drivers with the
drive, "Maxtor diamond max", and it all went well. As to your other
suggestion, I've delete the partition and go to format, ok, but it seems to
hang at 0%. I have previously formatted the drive today but it came up with
errors on copying the files to disc (after the format process) i.e. windows
could not find the selected file, please insert your xp disc!

Have you any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time