nVidia latest ATA drivers break WinXP Travan tape handling

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

I installed updated nVidia nForce motherboard drivers (to cope with an
ATI graphics problem) and accidentally installed their new ATA drivers
(I should know better). Today I went to run NTBackup, and it couldn't
find any of my media -- actually it's XPs RSM which couldn't see any of
the media -- in my antique TR4 Travan tape drive (attached to one of the
aforementioned ATA channels).

Luckily I figured out the culprit (although I could not figure out a
fix), so I just rolled the driver back to previous version .. problem
solved. I can't see any way of reporting the issue to Asus/nVidia, so I
thought I just document it here, for benefit of any fellow sufferers.

nVidia STILL can't write ATA drivers!

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

It's not that they can not write drivers but the fact they "forget" about
the "old" hardware that some people are still using. Reminds me when IOMega
ZIP drivers took over all removable media controls from floppy and CD
drives, when installed.