P4C800-E Deluxe boot question

gb

I have looked through the boot menus and users guide to find a solution to
this problem and I figure someone in this group will have an answer for me.

This past weekend I installed a Western Digital 120GB USB external hard
drive to my system.
I have the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB configured for a RAID 0 setup with two WD
Raptor hard drives (C:), one IDE 80GB WD Drive (D:), CDRW (F:) & DVD Drive
(E:)
BIOS is set to boot from F: / A: / C:
When I start the computer with USB Westen Digital hard drive plugged into a
USB port on the mother board I get a non-system disk error, indicating the
USB device does not have an operating system installed and the computer
can't boot from that drive. I can unplug the power cord to the external
hard drive, do a CTRL/ALT DEL and the computer will boot as it always does.
What do I need to set in the BIOS to get the motherboard to ignore the
external hard drive plugged into the USB port?

Thanks in advance.

Try booting with your C:\ first, see what that does.....

Doug

"GB" <gbiddle1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have looked through the boot menus and users guide to find a solution to
>this problem and I figure someone in this group will have an answer for me.
>
> This past weekend I installed a Western Digital 120GB USB external hard
> drive to my system.
> I have the ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe MB configured for a RAID 0 setup with two
> WD Raptor hard drives (C:), one IDE 80GB WD Drive (D:), CDRW (F:) & DVD
> Drive (E:)
> BIOS is set to boot from F: / A: / C:
> When I start the computer with USB Westen Digital hard drive plugged into
> a USB port on the mother board I get a non-system disk error, indicating
> the USB device does not have an operating system installed and the
> computer can't boot from that drive. I can unplug the power cord to the
> external hard drive, do a CTRL/ALT DEL and the computer will boot as it
> always does. What do I need to set in the BIOS to get the motherboard to
> ignore the external hard drive plugged into the USB port?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Good idea. Don't know why I didn't try that. I am at work right now and
can't try that but I will report back.

gb

I finally got it fixed.
In the bios under PCI PnP / USB / USB Mass Storage Device Configuration I
had to boot the computer into the bios with the hard drive connected to the
USB controller and it was shown as a USB Mass Storage Drive and I selected
[Forced FDD] and it worked after that. The first time I selected [Hard
Drive] and again it tried to boot from the USB drive again so I changed the
setting to [Forced FDD] as a guess and it worked. BTW the initial setting
was [Auto] and that won't work either.
Thanks for your attempt to help.