Did my BIOS just die?

My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
XP2600+
512 PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO
etc.

All was fine until last night when I booted.
POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was connected
and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power and
disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
The damn thing has not POSTed since.
I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo failure?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick
4 answers Last reply
More about bios

    and IS your kb plugged in correctly?

    if yes

    take out cmos battery for 30mins or so

    try again

    "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
    > My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
    > XP2600+
    > 512 PC3200 RAM
    > Radeon 9800 PRO
    > etc.
    >
    > All was fine until last night when I booted.
    > POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was connected
    > and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power and
    > disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
    > The damn thing has not POSTed since.
    > I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
    > Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
    failure?
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Rick

    "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
    > My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
    > XP2600+
    > 512 PC3200 RAM
    > Radeon 9800 PRO
    > etc.
    >
    > All was fine until last night when I booted.
    > POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
    > connected
    > and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
    > and
    > disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
    > The damn thing has not POSTed since.
    > I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
    > Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
    > failure?
    > Any ideas?

    Firstly, did you reset the cmos with ALL power disconnected from the
    box? If not then do it again with the power lead pulled out of the wall.

    I had this a few times, but it was with an A7N8X v1.1 dlx, try holding
    down the insert key while powering on and try it a few times. This is
    known to load a set of safe settings for some nforce2 motherboards and
    allow you to get into the bios settings.

    Whenever I had a problem with no POST it was from overclocking and there
    was no keyboard error, maybe you have other problems.

    Try with a different keyboard type, if the old one was ps/2 then try a
    usb one or visa-versa, just thinking that maybe there is a problem with
    the ps/2 or a usb port on the mobo.

    --
    Ian

    "Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

    > "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
    > > My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
    > > XP2600+
    > > 512 PC3200 RAM
    > > Radeon 9800 PRO
    > > etc.
    > >
    > > All was fine until last night when I booted.
    > > POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
    > > connected
    > > and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
    > > and
    > > disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
    > > The damn thing has not POSTed since.
    > > I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
    > > Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
    > > failure?
    > > Any ideas?
    > >

    > Firstly, did you reset the cmos with ALL power disconnected from the
    > box? If not then do it again with the power lead pulled out of the wall.
    >
    > I had this a few times, but it was with an A7N8X v1.1 dlx, try holding
    > down the insert key while powering on and try it a few times. This is
    > known to load a set of safe settings for some nforce2 motherboards and
    > allow you to get into the bios settings.
    >
    > Whenever I had a problem with no POST it was from overclocking and there
    > was no keyboard error, maybe you have other problems.
    >
    > Try with a different keyboard type, if the old one was ps/2 then try a
    > usb one or visa-versa, just thinking that maybe there is a problem with
    > the ps/2 or a usb port on the mobo.
    >
    > --
    > Ian

    Thanks for the responses.
    I tried everything mentioned and no joy.
    The mobo probably died but I'll try my other CPU as a last resort.
    If nothing then it's RMA time.

    Rick

    "Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message
    > and IS your kb plugged in correctly?
    >
    > if yes
    >
    > take out cmos battery for 30mins or so
    >
    > try again
    >

    > "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
    >> My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
    >> XP2600+
    >> 512 PC3200 RAM
    >> Radeon 9800 PRO
    >> etc.
    >>
    >> All was fine until last night when I booted.
    >> POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
    >> connected
    >> and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
    >> and
    >> disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
    >> The damn thing has not POSTed since.
    >> I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
    >> Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
    > failure?
    >> Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Rick