Did my BIOS just die?

My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
XP2600+
512 PC3200 RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO
etc.

All was fine until last night when I booted.
POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was connected
and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power and
disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
The damn thing has not POSTed since.
I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo failure?
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rick

and IS your kb plugged in correctly?

if yes

take out cmos battery for 30mins or so

try again

"dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
> My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
> XP2600+
> 512 PC3200 RAM
> Radeon 9800 PRO
> etc.
>
> All was fine until last night when I booted.
> POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was connected
> and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power and
> disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
> The damn thing has not POSTed since.
> I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
> Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
failure?
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Apollo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
> My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
> XP2600+
> 512 PC3200 RAM
> Radeon 9800 PRO
> etc.
>
> All was fine until last night when I booted.
> POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
> connected
> and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
> and
> disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
> The damn thing has not POSTed since.
> I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
> Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
> failure?
> Any ideas?

Firstly, did you reset the cmos with ALL power disconnected from the
box? If not then do it again with the power lead pulled out of the wall.

I had this a few times, but it was with an A7N8X v1.1 dlx, try holding
down the insert key while powering on and try it a few times. This is
known to load a set of safe settings for some nforce2 motherboards and
allow you to get into the bios settings.

Whenever I had a problem with no POST it was from overclocking and there
was no keyboard error, maybe you have other problems.

Try with a different keyboard type, if the old one was ps/2 then try a
usb one or visa-versa, just thinking that maybe there is a problem with
the ps/2 or a usb port on the mobo.

--
Ian

"Apollo" <ian_dunbar6@hot[un-munge-me]mail.com> wrote in message

> "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
> > My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
> > XP2600+
> > 512 PC3200 RAM
> > Radeon 9800 PRO
> > etc.
> >
> > All was fine until last night when I booted.
> > POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
> > connected
> > and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
> > and
> > disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
> > The damn thing has not POSTed since.
> > I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
> > Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
> > failure?
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Firstly, did you reset the cmos with ALL power disconnected from the
> box? If not then do it again with the power lead pulled out of the wall.
>
> I had this a few times, but it was with an A7N8X v1.1 dlx, try holding
> down the insert key while powering on and try it a few times. This is
> known to load a set of safe settings for some nforce2 motherboards and
> allow you to get into the bios settings.
>
> Whenever I had a problem with no POST it was from overclocking and there
> was no keyboard error, maybe you have other problems.
>
> Try with a different keyboard type, if the old one was ps/2 then try a
> usb one or visa-versa, just thinking that maybe there is a problem with
> the ps/2 or a usb port on the mobo.
>
> --
> Ian

Thanks for the responses.
I tried everything mentioned and no joy.
The mobo probably died but I'll try my other CPU as a last resort.
If nothing then it's RMA time.

Rick

Wazza

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

"Ginchy" <avmaster@BBBBbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> and IS your kb plugged in correctly?
>
> if yes
>
> take out cmos battery for 30mins or so
>
> try again
>

> "dorkus.erectus" <fghysk@nej.org> wrote in message
>> My other PC has an ASUS A7N8X-X mobo only 20 days old.
>> XP2600+
>> 512 PC3200 RAM
>> Radeon 9800 PRO
>> etc.
>>
>> All was fine until last night when I booted.
>> POST was going fine until it gave a message that no keyboard was
>> connected
>> and stalled at that point. It was connected but I turned off the power
>> and
>> disconnected and reconnected it just to make sure.
>> The damn thing has not POSTed since.
>> I reset the CMOS via the jumper to no avail.
>> Could it be that the keyboard error was the first sign of BIOS/mobo
> failure?
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Rick