XP can't recognize USB device

I've installed an Adaptec media reader drive (see
http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?
sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-7500&cat=%
2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+Media+Reader )

This drive is connected to an Adaptec USB 2.0 card:
(http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?
sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-5100&cat=%
2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+Adapters)

Windows XP (SP1) sees the USB card and installs drivers.
XP recognized the media reader drive initially and
installed drivers, but then upon rebooting, it doesn't
find the drive again.

I tried just about everything - uninstalling the USB card,
then reinstalling it, trying different drivers, even
removing the media drive, taking it back to Best Buy and
getting another one, and still I have the problem.

Does anybody have any ideas before I take this back
permanently?

Thanks,

Bob
3 answers Last reply
More about recognize device

    Did you install the software that came with the Media Reader? Also, did
    you connect the floppy power supply. The USB can supply power to the
    drive, but not enough. Also, I am assuming you have this connected
    through the USB cable and not through the pins on the motherboard?

    Nathan McNulty

    Bob wrote:

    > I've installed an Adaptec media reader drive (see
    > http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?
    > sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-7500&cat=%
    > 2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+Media+Reader )
    >
    > This drive is connected to an Adaptec USB 2.0 card:
    > (http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?
    > sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AUA-5100&cat=%
    > 2fTechnology%2fUSB%2fUSB+Adapters)
    >
    > Windows XP (SP1) sees the USB card and installs drivers.
    > XP recognized the media reader drive initially and
    > installed drivers, but then upon rebooting, it doesn't
    > find the drive again.
    >
    > I tried just about everything - uninstalling the USB card,
    > then reinstalling it, trying different drivers, even
    > removing the media drive, taking it back to Best Buy and
    > getting another one, and still I have the problem.
    >
    > Does anybody have any ideas before I take this back
    > permanently?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob

    Yes, I did both, and still no go. Power is connected to
    the drive. Even with two different media drives, and two
    different USB 2.0 cards, I still can't make it work. And
    its a cable connection from the media drive to the USB 2.0
    card, not through pins on the motherboard.

    I don't know why it doesn't work, but I'm not going to put
    up with it anymore. It's going back to Best Buy tomorrow.

    Bob

    Try this: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Tips.htm#probleminst
    For my card problem,I changed four entries that had 'read only' for
    USB to 'full permissions' and rebooted.

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 16:39:53 -0700, "Bob"

    >Yes, I did both, and still no go. Power is connected to
    >the drive. Even with two different media drives, and two
    >different USB 2.0 cards, I still can't make it work. And
    >its a cable connection from the media drive to the USB 2.0
    >card, not through pins on the motherboard.
    >
    >I don't know why it doesn't work, but I'm not going to put
    >up with it anymore. It's going back to Best Buy tomorrow.
    >
    >Bob

    Anti-Spam: Change shellyfnospam to shellyf to respond. Thanx, y'all have a nice day!
    Retired to Cyberspace from Green Valley, AZ.

USB Windows XP