how do i find out what graphics card i have?

July 16, 2004 10:32:01 PM

I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open GL for my graphics and.....ext....
I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to work it out, but i just can't!!!!
Can anyone help me?
If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

More about : find graphics card

July 17, 2004 12:45:11 AM

what does it say under "display adaptor" ????????????
peter
"Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open GL
for my graphics and.....ext....
> I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find
it.
> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to work
it out, but i just can't!!!!
> Can anyone help me?
> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 2:46:07 AM

2 hours? That seems odd.

In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).

I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic VGA
drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.

The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings tab,
Advanced button, Adapter tab.

I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.

Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card, rather than
the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be displayed for
long.

Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if the
graphics are built-in to the mainboard.

You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
(http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be better similar
utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.

Best of luck.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
GL for my graphics and.....ext....
> I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
find it.
> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
work it out, but i just can't!!!!
> Can anyone help me?
> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 3:50:53 AM

Also, another easy one to use is Everest Home Edition from
www.lavalys.com ;)

Nathan McNulty

Bob Knowlden wrote:

> 2 hours? That seems odd.
>
> In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).
>
> I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic VGA
> drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.
>
> The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings tab,
> Advanced button, Adapter tab.
>
> I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.
>
> Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card, rather than
> the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be displayed for
> long.
>
> Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if the
> graphics are built-in to the mainboard.
>
> You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
> (http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be better similar
> utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.
>
> Best of luck.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
>
> GL for my graphics and.....ext....
>
>>I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
>
> find it.
>
>>I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
>
> work it out, but i just can't!!!!
>
>> Can anyone help me?
>>If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
>>thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 2:05:50 PM

Greetings --

Well, if you don't have the PC's manual, and don't want to open
the case and look, these three utilities are quite useful:

SiSoft's Sandra
http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=swa...

Belarc Advisor

Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/aida32.zip

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download
Open GL for my graphics and.....ext....
> I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where
to find it.
> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager,
tring to work it out, but i just can't!!!!
> Can anyone help me?
> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 3:58:20 PM

Tom-Tom wrote:
> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download
> Open GL for my graphics and.....ext.... I'm running a Win XP system
> and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring
> to work it out, but i just can't!!!! Can anyone help me?
> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

TWO HOURS?! And you *STILL* can't find the section titled 'display
adaptors'?! WOW! Maybe you should change your name to 'Dum-Dum'?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 3:58:21 PM

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message news:kD7Kc.70$846.25@fe48.usenetserver.com...
> Tom-Tom wrote:
>> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download
>> Open GL for my graphics and.....ext.... I'm running a Win XP system
>> and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
>> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring
>> to work it out, but i just can't!!!! Can anyone help me?
>> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
>> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
>
> TWO HOURS?! And you *STILL* can't find the section titled 'display
> adaptors'?! WOW! Maybe you should change your name to 'Dum-Dum'?

WOW!, and Miss Puss Discharge still has spelling woes; "adaptors" is spelt wrong, it is "adapters". Maybe you should change your name to Miss Dum C√ľnt!
July 17, 2004 6:08:08 PM

Start > Run > DXDIAG >>> Display Tab
will give all of the pertinent information.

"Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
> Also, another easy one to use is Everest Home Edition from
> www.lavalys.com ;)
>
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Bob Knowlden wrote:
>
> > 2 hours? That seems odd.
> >
> > In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).
> >
> > I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic
VGA
> > drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.
> >
> > The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings
tab,
> > Advanced button, Adapter tab.
> >
> > I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.
> >
> > Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card,
rather than
> > the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be
displayed for
> > long.
> >
> > Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if
the
> > graphics are built-in to the mainboard.
> >
> > You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
> > (http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be
better similar
> > utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.
> >
> > Best of luck.
> >
> > Bob Knowlden
> >
> > Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
> >
> > "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to
download Open

> > GL for my graphics and.....ext....
> >
> >>I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on
where to

> > find it.
> >
> >>I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager,
tring to

> > work it out, but i just can't!!!!
> >
> >> Can anyone help me?
> >>If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> >>thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 17, 2004 8:37:37 PM

"Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
GL for my graphics and.....ext....
> I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
find it.
> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
work it out, but i just can't!!!!
> Can anyone help me?
> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

right click on open part of monitor screen for screen menu (or click on
display icon in your control panel)
select 'settings' tab menus
select 'advanced'
tab for 'display' shows graphics card being used.

also
a display tab exists in your directx info menus
run..."dxdiag"
!