how do i find out what graphics card i have?

I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open GL for my graphics and.....ext....
I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to work it out, but i just can't!!!!
Can anyone help me?
If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
8 answers Last reply
More about find graphics card have

    what does it say under "display adaptor" ????????????
    peter
    "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open GL
    for my graphics and.....ext....
    > I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find
    it.
    > I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to work
    it out, but i just can't!!!!
    > Can anyone help me?
    > If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    > thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    2 hours? That seems odd.

    In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).

    I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic VGA
    drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.

    The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings tab,
    Advanced button, Adapter tab.

    I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.

    Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card, rather than
    the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be displayed for
    long.

    Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if the
    graphics are built-in to the mainboard.

    You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
    (http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be better similar
    utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.

    Best of luck.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
    GL for my graphics and.....ext....
    > I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
    find it.
    > I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
    work it out, but i just can't!!!!
    > Can anyone help me?
    > If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    > thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    Also, another easy one to use is Everest Home Edition from
    www.lavalys.com ;)

    Nathan McNulty

    Bob Knowlden wrote:

    > 2 hours? That seems odd.
    >
    > In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).
    >
    > I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic VGA
    > drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.
    >
    > The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings tab,
    > Advanced button, Adapter tab.
    >
    > I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.
    >
    > Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card, rather than
    > the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be displayed for
    > long.
    >
    > Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if the
    > graphics are built-in to the mainboard.
    >
    > You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
    > (http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be better similar
    > utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.
    >
    > Best of luck.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
    >
    > GL for my graphics and.....ext....
    >
    >>I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
    >
    > find it.
    >
    >>I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
    >
    > work it out, but i just can't!!!!
    >
    >> Can anyone help me?
    >>If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    >>thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    Greetings --

    Well, if you don't have the PC's manual, and don't want to open
    the case and look, these three utilities are quite useful:

    SiSoft's Sandra
    http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.php?dir=&location=sware_dl&lang=en

    Belarc Advisor

    Unlimited Possibilities' AIDA32
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/aida32.zip

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    Tom-Tom wrote:
    > I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download
    > Open GL for my graphics and.....ext.... I'm running a Win XP system
    > and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
    > I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring
    > to work it out, but i just can't!!!! Can anyone help me?
    > If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    > thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    TWO HOURS?! And you *STILL* can't find the section titled 'display
    adaptors'?! WOW! Maybe you should change your name to 'Dum-Dum'?

    "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote in message news:kD7Kc.70$846.25@fe48.usenetserver.com...
    > Tom-Tom wrote:
    >> I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download
    >> Open GL for my graphics and.....ext.... I'm running a Win XP system
    >> and i have absoluteley no idea on where to find it.
    >> I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring
    >> to work it out, but i just can't!!!! Can anyone help me?
    >> If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    >> thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au
    >
    > TWO HOURS?! And you *STILL* can't find the section titled 'display
    > adaptors'?! WOW! Maybe you should change your name to 'Dum-Dum'?

    WOW!, and Miss Puss Discharge still has spelling woes; "adaptors" is spelt wrong, it is "adapters". Maybe you should change your name to Miss Dum Cünt!

    Start > Run > DXDIAG >>> Display Tab
    will give all of the pertinent information.

    "Nathan McNulty" <525676@betaweb.com> wrote in message
    > Also, another easy one to use is Everest Home Edition from
    > www.lavalys.com ;)
    >
    > Nathan McNulty
    >
    > Bob Knowlden wrote:
    >
    > > 2 hours? That seems odd.
    > >
    > > In Device Manager, my graphics card shows up (Display Adapter).
    > >
    > > I'm not sure what would be displayed if XP was using its generic
    VGA
    > > drivers, but I'd expect that *something" would show.
    > >
    > > The card is also shown under the Display control panel: Settings
    tab,
    > > Advanced button, Adapter tab.
    > >
    > > I doubt that any of these detect the card, but rather its drivers.
    > >
    > > Some graphics cards will display a BIOS message (from the card,
    rather than
    > > the PC's BIOS) during startup. Watch carefully, as it won't be
    displayed for
    > > long.
    > >
    > > Ultimately, you may have to open the case, or read the manual if
    the
    > > graphics are built-in to the mainboard.
    > >
    > > You may also wish to download and install SiSoft Sandra
    > > (http://www.sisoftware.net/ for the UK and US). There may be
    better similar
    > > utilities, but Sandra is easy to use.
    > >
    > > Best of luck.
    > >
    > > Bob Knowlden
    > >
    > > Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    > >
    > > "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to
    download Open

    > > GL for my graphics and.....ext....
    > >
    > >>I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on
    where to

    > > find it.
    > >
    > >>I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager,
    tring to

    > > work it out, but i just can't!!!!
    > >
    > >> Can anyone help me?
    > >>If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    > >>thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    "Tom-Tom" <Tom-Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I know i have to look under device manager....but i want to download Open
    GL for my graphics and.....ext....
    > I'm running a Win XP system and i have absoluteley no idea on where to
    find it.
    > I must have spent at least two hours looking in device manager, tring to
    work it out, but i just can't!!!!
    > Can anyone help me?
    > If so, reply to this thread or email me at:
    > thomas_burns@optusnet.com.au

    right click on open part of monitor screen for screen menu (or click on
    display icon in your control panel)
    select 'settings' tab menus
    select 'advanced'
    tab for 'display' shows graphics card being used.

    also
    a display tab exists in your directx info menus
    run..."dxdiag"

Device Manager Graphics Cards Windows XP