Sign in with
Your question

Networking Newbie

Last response: in Networking
February 2, 2003 12:39:34 AM

I finally finished building my computer and have it up and running. So now I have two computers. Here is my question:

I bought a Linksys BEFSR41 Ver. 2 Router and have the two computers connected. Both computers are running Windows XP Pro. I've tried the Network Connection Wizard with the end result of a workgroup being created but no working network.

Both computers can ping each other and both are connected to the internet (via router and cable modem). I am able to surf on both computers--just not network between the two.

One uses an SMC network card and the other is using the built-in LAN (ASUS P4PE).

So, basically, can anyone point me in the direction of a comprehensive tutorial that may be somewhat close to my situation? I would greatly appreciate any help.

My other computer is a Cray...

More about : networking newbie

February 2, 2003 1:23:27 AM

Have you shared any drives or folders yet?

Do both computers have the same workgroup name?

You must share at least 1 folder or drive to be seen on your workgroup or neighborhood

I aint signing nothing!!!
Related resources
February 2, 2003 2:05:14 AM

You said you can successfully ping, so you HAVE a working network. Anyway, try posting with what you have tried so far. I assume your using and have stopped after using Network Places. Xp handles name resolution a little better than other Redmond OS's but if your using NP as your connetivity tool then that is your first mistake. What have you done so far and how are you determining that you can't share/browse files?
February 2, 2003 2:20:21 AM

I shared my entire D: drive with Full Control but it still doesn;t work. I also read the web sites that jlanka suggested but they didn't tell me anything I didn't know/do already.

Jeez, they make it so easy to map drives and share folders at work. You'd think it would be easier to do the same at home where it's generally less secure...

February 2, 2003 2:34:57 AM

You guessed it. I was using NP and browsing to "Entire Network" with the only computer showing being the one I was using.

Normally, with Win2000, this would have been sufficient. Like I said, I am new to this WinXP way of setting up a network.

I have tried the Network Setup Wizard as well as just typing in \\name\drive\folder. I also used tried the Sharing and Security option and simply clicking on the Sharing tab in the properties menu.

Anyway, the two computers are within four feet of eachother with the cable modem and router in between. One computer is connected to port 3 and the other, port 4 (suggested by Linksys Installation Guide).

Thanks for the inputs so far!

February 2, 2003 4:47:23 PM

did you turn off "simple file sharing"?

My Computer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Scroll to bottom -> uncheck simple file sharing

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
February 3, 2003 2:08:17 AM

I finally got both computers to show up in the workgroup but only the older computer is able to access the newer computer. Whenever I try with the other one, it gives me the following error:

"\\name is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

Log on failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logong hour restrictions, or policy restriction has been enforced."

I forgot to uncheck the simple file sharing on the new computer, so I did that. Still have the same problem...

February 3, 2003 6:47:20 AM

well, are you authenticating with a proper account?

you can add a username switch to the net use command

from a DOS prompt type NET USE /HELP

the syntax is like this:

NET USE \\<i>COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME</i> /USER:<i>USERNAME PASSWORD</i>

February 3, 2003 6:37:15 PM

Thanks, jlanka! That was what I had to do. I did not have a password for my user accounts on any of the computers (I know--not secure). But why was I able to access computer 2 from computer 1 without an account password and not the other way around as well? Was it because computer 1 was acting as the "server"?

Finally, will I have to execute the dos command everytime I want to access the other computer?

Thanks once again for everyone's help. And by the way, the router has a built-in firewall and both computers are using a software firewall. I had allowed access to and from each computer through the software firewall admin setup.

February 3, 2003 9:34:14 PM

the mapped drive will be persistent on the client, but each time you boot and try to access it, it will ask for your password. The way to get around that is to have the same username and password on both PC's

!