Wired and wireless

I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
(data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an SMC
wireless router I can use.

My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do not
have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup, but
my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
current peer to peer configuration?

Thank you,

David
5 answers Last reply
More about wired wireless

    If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.

    "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
    > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
    > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
    > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
    > SMC
    > wireless router I can use.
    >
    > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
    > not
    > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
    > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
    > but
    > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
    > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
    > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
    > current peer to peer configuration?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > David

    Yes.
    Follow the steps on each PC at:

    www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

    Carey

    "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
    > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
    > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
    > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
    > SMC
    > wireless router I can use.
    >
    > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
    > not
    > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
    > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
    > but
    > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
    > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
    > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
    > current peer to peer configuration?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > David

    Did you check IP address?

    "Carey Holzman" wrote:

    > Yes.
    > Follow the steps on each PC at:
    >
    > www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
    > > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
    > > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
    > > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
    > > SMC
    > > wireless router I can use.
    > >
    > > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
    > > not
    > > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
    > > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
    > > but
    > > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
    > > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
    > > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
    > > current peer to peer configuration?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > David

    Could you please expand on what you mean below? I thought it was always a
    peer to peer network unless you had a domain server, and logged onto a domain
    when you logged on to windows. Then it was a client server.

    Thanks,

    David

    "Robert Jacobs" wrote:

    > If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.
    >
    > "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both wired
    > > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network switch
    > > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
    > > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
    > > SMC
    > > wireless router I can use.
    > >
    > > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I do
    > > not
    > > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine cannot
    > > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same workgroup,
    > > but
    > > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
    > > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop on
    > > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
    > > current peer to peer configuration?
    > >
    > > Thank you,
    > >
    > > David

    No, a peer to peer, or adhoc network, is when two or more computers are
    connected together via a crossover cable or wireless to wireless adapters.
    When using an access point or router to connect your PCs it is now
    considered an enterprise network, you do not have to have a static server as
    the AP/Router handles the switching instead of the server.

    > Could you please expand on what you mean below? I thought it was always a
    > peer to peer network unless you had a domain server, and logged onto a
    > domain
    > when you logged on to windows. Then it was a client server.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Robert Jacobs" wrote:
    >
    >> If you are using a wireless router, your not peer to peer.
    >>
    >> "dfatovic" <dfatovic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am running a converged network (voice and data). I also have both
    >> >wired
    >> > and wireless connections, using two seperate devices. My network
    >> > switch
    >> > (data) is an SMC managed Layer 2 switch, currently I am using the dsl
    >> > router's wireless capabilities for the wireless portion. (I do have an
    >> > SMC
    >> > wireless router I can use.
    >> >
    >> > My question is this. Currently I am using a peer to peer network. I
    >> > do
    >> > not
    >> > have a server, and from what I understand a Windows XP Pro machine
    >> > cannot
    >> > work as a domain server. I have all the computers in the same
    >> > workgroup,
    >> > but
    >> > my laptop that is on wireless can not see any of the computers in the
    >> > workgroup. Nor can the wired computers in the workgroup see my laptop
    >> > on
    >> > wireless. Is it possible to get all computers to see each other in the
    >> > current peer to peer configuration?
    >> >
    >> > Thank you,
    >> >
    >> > David

Wireless Wireless Connections Wireless Networking