Slow upload speed from camera

it takes approximately 5 minutes to upload a single picture from my
camera...

new to this NG but not to computers... i used to own a 350mhz Pent II
running Win98... i loved it... i now have a new 2.6Ghz AMD running XP... my
camera hasn't changed... the file size is the same... i tried connecting and
uploading via the camera and via the printer.. camera uses USB printer uses
Serial... i used to use the printer on my old system and it would take
approx. 20 seconds per picture to upload... now, it takes about 5 minutes
per picture but most of the time it just crashes the system.

so far i have tried calling the computer manufacturer (Compaq), they tell me
its the camera people... i called the camera manufacturer (Olympus) they say
its the printer... i called the printer manufacturer (HP) they say its the
software... i updated the software and nothing... everything is the exact
same except for XP vs Win98...

the really weird part is my father in law, who also upgraded the same time i
did, is also having the same problem...

is there something im missing? other than a shift key, that is...

thanks....

smed

Printers use a parallel port or USB. Serial port were used
for cameras back in the last Century. Does your camera have
a USB port? Does it use some type of removable flash
memory?
Suggest you get a flash card reader that is compatible with
your memory type. Lexar makes a USB 2.0 Multicard Reader
that will handle about 10 types of cards, $28 at WallyWorld.
Much faster than using you camera to upload pictures.
Printing pictures using the parallel port to your old HP
printer should as fast as it was in the old days, IF you set
the BIOS to properly configure the port.

XP interfaces with hardware in a different manner and uses
different drivers. You should uninstall all the old drivers
and the printer, and do a clean install using XP drivers.

"Smed" <gsx1300r_busa@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| it takes approximately 5 minutes to upload a single
picture from my
| camera...
|

| new to this NG but not to computers... i used to own a
350mhz Pent II
| running Win98... i loved it... i now have a new 2.6Ghz AMD
running XP... my
| camera hasn't changed... the file size is the same... i
tried connecting and
| uploading via the camera and via the printer.. camera uses
USB printer uses
| Serial... i used to use the printer on my old system and
it would take
| approx. 20 seconds per picture to upload... now, it takes
about 5 minutes
| per picture but most of the time it just crashes the
system.

| so far i have tried calling the computer manufacturer
(Compaq), they tell me
| its the camera people... i called the camera manufacturer
(Olympus) they say
| its the printer... i called the printer manufacturer (HP)
they say its the
| software... i updated the software and nothing...
everything is the exact
| same except for XP vs Win98...
|
| the really weird part is my father in law, who also
upgraded the same time i
| did, is also having the same problem...
|
| is there something im missing? other than a shift key,
that is...

| thanks....
|
| smed

TRENDING THREADS