PCI Express x1

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2004 11:48:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
hopes of getting a answer.
thanks in advance......

joe

More about : pci express

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 1:25:04 AM

"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
> PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
> I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
> good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> hopes of getting a answer.
> thanks in advance......
>
> joe

Good question. I also wonder if and when regular PCI slots will be dropped
from motherboards. I don't see that happening any time soon, but once sound
cards and everything get developed for the x1 slots, it might be good to
have that sort of "pure" environment where regular PCI doesn't exist.

Hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking this.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 4:57:16 AM

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:48:14 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote:

>I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
>PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
>I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
>good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
>hopes of getting a answer.
>thanks in advance......

With an uncooked peak data transfer rate of 2 Gigabits/second (256
Megabytes/second) a X1 link is useful for all but the brawniest host
adapters...

/daytripper
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 7:14:52 AM

joe~V~3838 wrote:
> I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
> PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
> I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
> good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> hopes of getting a answer.
Basically the idea is everything which uses PCI today will use
PCI-Express x1. Not much PCI-Express x1 cards exist right now of course.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 1:12:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message

" I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would
be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
hopes of getting a answer. "

http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 1:12:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message news:32d5buF3lbn33U1@individual.net...
> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>
> " I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would
> be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> hopes of getting a answer. "
>

> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 1:13:50 PM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:10s271prkml4s34@corp.supernews.com...
> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> > I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
> > PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
> > I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
> > good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> > hopes of getting a answer.
> > thanks in advance......
> >
> > joe
> >

> Good question. I also wonder if and when regular PCI slots will be dropped
> from motherboards. I don't see that happening any time soon, but once sound
> cards and everything get developed for the x1 slots, it might be good to
> have that sort of "pure" environment where regular PCI doesn't exist.
>
> Hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking this.

Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't mind you
'hijacking' the thread !
I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ....
it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
but so far that hasn't been the case...
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 6:46:39 PM

Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't
mind you
'hijacking' the thread !
I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ...
it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
but so far that hasn't been the case...

Creative have the new Audigy Zenith PCI-E 1x out in March 2005.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 16, 2004 11:58:26 PM

joe~V~3838 wrote:

> "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:10s271prkml4s34@corp.supernews.com...
>
>>"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I hate posting to mutiple news groups, but I'm trying to find out what
>>>PCI Express x1 is going to be used for ?
>>>I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would be
>>>good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
>>>hopes of getting a answer.
>>>thanks in advance......
>>>
>>>joe
>>>

>>Good question. I also wonder if and when regular PCI slots will be dropped
>>from motherboards. I don't see that happening any time soon, but once sound
>>cards and everything get developed for the x1 slots, it might be good to
>>have that sort of "pure" environment where regular PCI doesn't exist.
>>
>>Hope I haven't hijacked your thread by asking this.
>>

> Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't mind you
> 'hijacking' the thread !
> I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ...
> it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
> but so far that hasn't been the case...

Creative now sells "upgrades" to some of the on-board sound chips. My
P5P800 is like this. Maybe they figure they can sell the software
instead of the hardware like a number of other companies have started doing.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2004 2:32:39 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:11:15 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote:
>"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message news:32d5buF3lbn33U1@individual.net...
>> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>>
>> " I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would
>> be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
>> hopes of getting a answer. "
>>
>> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...
>>
>thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
>So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
>pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
>wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?

There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...

/daytripper
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2004 2:16:33 PM

"Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cpsb6h$tlh$1@kermit.esat.net...

> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>
> Hey Nightsky, that's the main reason I've asked this question and I don't
> mind you
> 'hijacking' the thread !
> I wonder when Creative will have a pci express x1, or x4 ? sound card ....
> it would seem like the onboard sound would be putting a hurting on creative
> but so far that hasn't been the case...
>
> Creative have the new Audigy Zenith PCI-E 1x out in March 2005.

thanks richard , that's what I was wondering about ..... guess I'll just buy
that audigy 2 zs for $50 at best buy and just forget about getting the
'zenith' for awhile.......
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2004 2:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

hey daytripper
"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:7l64s0ptr88ji86bj325rotroqjijeudk5@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:11:15 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote:
> >"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message news:32d5buF3lbn33U1@individual.net...
> >> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> " I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would
> >> be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> >> hopes of getting a answer. "
> >>
> >> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...
> >>
> >thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
> >So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
> >pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
> >wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?
>
> There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
> overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...
>
> /daytripper

are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?
I'm going to go and buy the audigy 2 zs at best buy today for $50 since
according to richard in a post above, the creative 'zenith' pci-e x1 sound card
won't be out until march 2005..that's to long to wait for me.

thanks everyone for the helpful info.....
December 17, 2004 2:20:42 PM

"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message news:Y-ednaGBwMtdm17cRVn-ig@gbronline.com...
hey daytripper
"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message news:7l64s0ptr88ji86bj325rotroqjijeudk5@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:11:15 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote:
> >"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message news:32d5buF3lbn33U1@individual.net...
> >> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> " I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it would
> >> be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time in
> >> hopes of getting a answer. "
> >>
> >> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...
> >>
> >thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
> >So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
> >pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
> >wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?
>
> > There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
> > overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...
> >
> > /daytripper

> are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
> march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?

Read the extensive review at the same site referenced above:
http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q2/intel-9xx/index.x?...

It goes into much detail about this topic. The answer to your
question is yes, it won't be much (or any) improvement.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 17, 2004 8:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
hey daytripper
"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:11:15 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com>
> wrote:
> >"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> >> "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> " I've done searches and couldn't find any info and figured that it
> >> would
> >> be good to post this in the main motherboard newgroups at the same time
> >> in
> >> hopes of getting a answer. "
> >>
> >> http://techreport.com/reviews/2004q4/nforce4-ultra/inde...
> >>
> >thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
> >So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
> >pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
> >wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?
>
> There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
> overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...
>
> /daytripper

are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?
I'm going to go and buy the audigy 2 zs at best buy today for $50 since
according to richard in a post above, the creative 'zenith' pci-e x1 sound
card
won't be out until march 2005..that's to long to wait for me.

thanks everyone for the helpful info.....

The new Augigy card is based on whole new hardware/chip. It's totally
revised audio processing unit. New DAC's apparently increasing the S/N
ratio.

But Creative haven't really said anything concrete, though there are tidbits
on the net.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2004 12:07:15 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:27:29 -0000, "Richard Dower" <richarddower@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>hey daytripper
>"daytripper" <day_trippr@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:11:15 -0500, "joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com>
>> wrote:
>> >"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message

>> >thanks for the link cuzman, good review.
>> >So, looks like many pci cards out now will be converted to
>> >pci express x1 or higher in the near future... , interesting...
>> >wonder what sound cards will use? x1, x4, or stay with regular pci?
>>
>> There will be a transition from PCI to x1 PCI Express, both of which are
>> overkill for virtually anything to do with audio...
>>
>> /daytripper
>
>are you sure that using pci e x1 for the new 'zenith' audio card due out in
>march 2005 wouldn't be much of an improvement over the audigy 2 zs ?
>I'm going to go and buy the audigy 2 zs at best buy today for $50 since
>according to richard in a post above, the creative 'zenith' pci-e x1 sound
>card
>won't be out until march 2005..that's to long to wait for me.
>
>thanks everyone for the helpful info.....
>
>The new Augigy card is based on whole new hardware/chip. It's totally
>revised audio processing unit. New DAC's apparently increasing the S/N
>ratio.
>
>But Creative haven't really said anything concrete, though there are tidbits
>on the net.

The data transfer rate of even a 33mhz 32-bit PCI bus peaks at roughly 120
MEGABYTES per second.

A decent sound channel might absorb as much as 22khz * wtf_lets_say_32bits_per
sample for a total of 88 KILOBYTES per second.

So a sound card that could manage 8 discrete 32-bit channels might pull a
grand total of 700 KILOBYTES per second, max.

Still think sound cards need the 512 Megabyte/second peak, uncooked data
transfer rate of PCI Express x1?

/daytripper
(There were reasons even ISA sound cards managed to do pretty well ;-)
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2004 3:31:53 PM

> Now I'm just waiting on one of those new A64, PCI E mb , with sata,
> to come out , then I'm getting rid of my trusty old bh6 1.01 mb ! heh
> time to upgrade....

BH6? Wow, it will be a phenomenal upgrade once you get the Athlon 64! I
think you'll be quite happy.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 1:39:07 PM

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:31:53 -0700, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
>> Now I'm just waiting on one of those new A64, PCI E mb , with sata,
>> to come out , then I'm getting rid of my trusty old bh6 1.01 mb ! heh
>> time to upgrade....
>

>BH6? Wow, it will be a phenomenal upgrade once you get the Athlon 64! I
>think you'll be quite happy.
But what a beauty it was, with a Cel 300 OC to 450. Very good board.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 2:13:14 PM

"Lurk re_relurking" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:6cq9s0l8kqmes4fk7p7sogordbot49vorr@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:31:53 -0700, "NightSky 421"
> <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>
> >"joe~V~3838" <jms2@gbronline.com> wrote in message
> >> Now I'm just waiting on one of those new A64, PCI E mb , with sata,
> >> to come out , then I'm getting rid of my trusty old bh6 1.01 mb ! heh
> >> time to upgrade....
> >

> >BH6? Wow, it will be a phenomenal upgrade once you get the Athlon 64! I
> >think you'll be quite happy.
> But what a beauty it was, with a Cel 300 OC to 450. Very good board.

yep, I've had it since dec 98 ! using a 600 celery oc to 900 without problems
for years, going to get new hardware and pass this good ol mb on to a friend...
Like the way the gigabyte k8nxp9 looks...using the nforce 4 just waiting for
nforce 4 boards to get out in the retail....
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 9:36:25 PM

"Lurk re_relurking" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

> But what a beauty it was, with a Cel 300 OC to 450. Very good board.

No question about it. It was an even better value when you consider what a
"real" Pentium II 450MHz processor was selling for in 1998 !
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 20, 2004 2:02:35 PM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:10scb527b4r7845@corp.supernews.com...
> "Lurk re_relurking" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > But what a beauty it was, with a Cel 300 OC to 450. Very good board.
> >

> No question about it. It was an even better value when you consider what a
> "real" Pentium II 450MHz processor was selling for in 1998 !

I paid $110 (us) for the Celery 300 in 98... I still have it , but it's really useless to
me ...
!