DVD reader or CD burner should go in favor of DVD burner?

Clear Day
I need some advice, please.

I have a 2800+ Athlon w/512 meg ram, 120 gig HD, DVD reader and CD burner,
and using Windows XP Home as my OS. I just bought a new Sony DRU-530A DVD
burner and want opinions on which of the disc drives I presently have would
you sacrifice? (I only have 2 bays available)
I bought it (Sony) to burn Data DVD's to b/u my files/system. I also want
to use it to copy some DVD's I OWN and to burn some of my best VHS movies to
DVD. I deal a lot w/mp3 files, some pictures and a few videos I've dl'd from
the net.
The drives I presently have are:
"JLMS XJ-HD 166S" as the DVD reader and,
"LITE-ON LTR-48246S" as the CD burner.
I also use a Sony Mini-Disk player/recorder, model MZ-S1 which requires the
"Sonic-Stage" software to download mp3 files to this device. The new Sony
DRU-530A DVD burner I want to install has the Sony
format "ATRAC-3" for compressing mp3's down to the point one can put 490+
songs on a CD-R. I don't use this presently but will when I buy a new
portable cd player, it will be a Sony w/ATRAC-3.
My question is; if my best option is to keep the present CD burner I have
and replace the DVD reader w/the Sony DRU-530A DVD burner will my 2 CD
burners work in harmony or could there be a conflict?
And lastly; if I keep the DVD reader I have and delete the CD burner for the
new Sony DVD burner could I "read" DVD files directly from the DVD reader
and copy to the DVD burner? Which would be more advantageous?
Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Sincerely,

"Confused"
4 answers Last reply
More about reader burner favor burner

    Here is my suggestion, though it is entirely a toss up. You will never
    want to record on-the-fly when talking about DVD's. It simply causes
    too many problems. I always suggest ripping the content to your
    computer, then burn it from there. Your Lite-On CD Burner is actually a
    52x CD Burner in disguise ;)

    I would hold onto the CD Burner and the DVD Burner so that you can burn
    CD's in a couple of minutes as opposed to five minutes with the DVD
    Burner. There really is no need for anything once you have the DVD
    Burner, but if you really want to hold onto one of the two, I would hold
    onto the CD Burner.

    Nathan McNulty

    roadrunner wrote:

    > Clear Day
    > I need some advice, please.
    >
    > I have a 2800+ Athlon w/512 meg ram, 120 gig HD, DVD reader and CD burner,
    > and using Windows XP Home as my OS. I just bought a new Sony DRU-530A DVD
    > burner and want opinions on which of the disc drives I presently have would
    > you sacrifice? (I only have 2 bays available)
    > I bought it (Sony) to burn Data DVD's to b/u my files/system. I also want
    > to use it to copy some DVD's I OWN and to burn some of my best VHS movies to
    > DVD. I deal a lot w/mp3 files, some pictures and a few videos I've dl'd from
    > the net.
    > The drives I presently have are:
    > "JLMS XJ-HD 166S" as the DVD reader and,
    > "LITE-ON LTR-48246S" as the CD burner.
    > I also use a Sony Mini-Disk player/recorder, model MZ-S1 which requires the
    > "Sonic-Stage" software to download mp3 files to this device. The new Sony
    > DRU-530A DVD burner I want to install has the Sony
    > format "ATRAC-3" for compressing mp3's down to the point one can put 490+
    > songs on a CD-R. I don't use this presently but will when I buy a new
    > portable cd player, it will be a Sony w/ATRAC-3.
    > My question is; if my best option is to keep the present CD burner I have
    > and replace the DVD reader w/the Sony DRU-530A DVD burner will my 2 CD
    > burners work in harmony or could there be a conflict?
    > And lastly; if I keep the DVD reader I have and delete the CD burner for the
    > new Sony DVD burner could I "read" DVD files directly from the DVD reader
    > and copy to the DVD burner? Which would be more advantageous?
    > Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
    >

    > Sincerely,
    >

    > "Confused"

    I believe that most CD/DVD burning software will work with multiple burners
    in PC. (I use Nero 6 and Roxio Easy Media Creator 7. It's supposed to be a
    bad idea to have two versions of the packet CD software installed, so I stay
    with the Roxio drag-to-disc, formerly known as DirectCD.)

    The earliest DVD burners were slow for CDs, but the 530A is rated at 40X CD
    / 24X CD-RW, which isn't (in my opinion) enough slower than your Lite-On CD
    burner for it to matter.

    In my own system, I retained the DVD-ROM drive (Lite-On HD-163D) for use
    with a DVD burner (Plextor PX-708A). No regrets, other than watching the
    price of the burner halve since I bought it.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    "roadrunner" <rhammack@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Clear Day
    > I need some advice, please.
    >
    > I have a 2800+ Athlon w/512 meg ram, 120 gig HD, DVD reader and CD
    burner,
    > and using Windows XP Home as my OS. I just bought a new Sony DRU-530A DVD
    > burner and want opinions on which of the disc drives I presently have
    would
    > you sacrifice? (I only have 2 bays available)
    > I bought it (Sony) to burn Data DVD's to b/u my files/system. I also want
    > to use it to copy some DVD's I OWN and to burn some of my best VHS movies
    > DVD. I deal a lot w/mp3 files, some pictures and a few videos I've dl'd
    from
    > the net.
    > The drives I presently have are:
    > "JLMS XJ-HD 166S" as the DVD reader and,
    > "LITE-ON LTR-48246S" as the CD burner.
    > I also use a Sony Mini-Disk player/recorder, model MZ-S1 which requires
    the
    > "Sonic-Stage" software to download mp3 files to this device. The new Sony
    > DRU-530A DVD burner I want to install has the Sony
    > format "ATRAC-3" for compressing mp3's down to the point one can put 490+
    > songs on a CD-R. I don't use this presently but will when I buy a new
    > portable cd player, it will be a Sony w/ATRAC-3.
    > My question is; if my best option is to keep the present CD burner I have
    > and replace the DVD reader w/the Sony DRU-530A DVD burner will my 2 CD
    > burners work in harmony or could there be a conflict?
    > And lastly; if I keep the DVD reader I have and delete the CD burner for
    the
    > new Sony DVD burner could I "read" DVD files directly from the DVD reader
    > and copy to the DVD burner? Which would be more advantageous?
    > Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
    >

    > Sincerely,
    >

    > "Confused"

    Roadrunner,

    What software will you be using for copying of commercial copyprotected VHS movies? Or did I misunderstand your OP.

    "roadrunner" wrote:

    > Clear Day
    > I need some advice, please.
    >
    > I have a 2800+ Athlon w/512 meg ram, 120 gig HD, DVD reader and CD burner,
    > and using Windows XP Home as my OS. I just bought a new Sony DRU-530A DVD
    > burner and want opinions on which of the disc drives I presently have would
    > you sacrifice? (I only have 2 bays available)
    > I bought it (Sony) to burn Data DVD's to b/u my files/system. I also want
    > to use it to copy some DVD's I OWN and to burn some of my best VHS movies to
    > DVD. I deal a lot w/mp3 files, some pictures and a few videos I've dl'd from
    > the net.
    > The drives I presently have are:
    > "JLMS XJ-HD 166S" as the DVD reader and,
    > "LITE-ON LTR-48246S" as the CD burner.
    > I also use a Sony Mini-Disk player/recorder, model MZ-S1 which requires the
    > "Sonic-Stage" software to download mp3 files to this device. The new Sony
    > DRU-530A DVD burner I want to install has the Sony
    > format "ATRAC-3" for compressing mp3's down to the point one can put 490+
    > songs on a CD-R. I don't use this presently but will when I buy a new
    > portable cd player, it will be a Sony w/ATRAC-3.
    > My question is; if my best option is to keep the present CD burner I have
    > and replace the DVD reader w/the Sony DRU-530A DVD burner will my 2 CD
    > burners work in harmony or could there be a conflict?
    > And lastly; if I keep the DVD reader I have and delete the CD burner for the
    > new Sony DVD burner could I "read" DVD files directly from the DVD reader
    > and copy to the DVD burner? Which would be more advantageous?
    > Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
    >

    > Sincerely,
    >

    > "Confused"

    On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 00:32:44 -0700, Nathan McNulty
    <525676@betaweb.com> wrote:

    >Here is my suggestion, though it is entirely a toss up. You will never
    >want to record on-the-fly when talking about DVD's. It simply causes
    >too many problems. I always suggest ripping the content to your
    >computer, then burn it from there. Your Lite-On CD Burner is actually a
    >52x CD Burner in disguise ;)
    >
    >I would hold onto the CD Burner and the DVD Burner so that you can burn
    >CD's in a couple of minutes as opposed to five minutes with the DVD
    >Burner. There really is no need for anything once you have the DVD
    >Burner, but if you really want to hold onto one of the two, I would hold
    >onto the CD Burner.
    >
    >Nathan McNulty

    I concur with Nathan. This is exactly what I did when my DVD reader
    died some months ago. I purchased a DVD Burner to replace it. Both
    burners exist happily within the same box.
    -steve

DVD Burner CD-Rom Windows XP