physical memory drains away

can somebody help? i have to keep rebooting my computer to
attain the correct physical memory level , however after a
few hours it drops gradually down to about 2-3% then i
have to reboot.
4 answers Last reply
More about physical memory drains away

    Try installing and running some spyware tools. Highly
    recommended is SpyBot Search & Destroy
    www.safer-networking.org and Ad-Aware 6.181
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    Both of these are also available at the mirror site
    www.majorgeeks.com on the spyware tools page.
    Also be sure the XP firewall is enabled or install a
    firewall.
    Scan for viruses and Trojans.

    Note XP should be using all of the memory, the question is
    when you open a new program or file, is something preventing
    XP from flushing the old data and opening the program/file?
    Also, if your computer is on-line and infected/hacked it can
    be working for "others" doing server duty sending spam or
    swapping files. That is what a good firewall such as Zone
    Alarm will alert you to, it will control in and out bound
    traffic.

    "mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2f1ba01c46bdc$09b2dab0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    | can somebody help? i have to keep rebooting my computer to
    | attain the correct physical memory level , however after a
    | few hours it drops gradually down to about 2-3% then i
    | have to reboot.

    I use a small program from "analog x" called "maxmemory"
    It's small and it's free. Scanned it' it's clean. It puts
    A small graph next to your clock. you can tell at a glance
    how much mem. you have. Click on it and it free's up
    memory. jack m

    Sorry to burst your bubble, but generally speaking, programs that claim
    to free up memory do exactly the opposite of what they promise. By
    cleaning programs out of the memory, they do not actually increase
    performance, they decrease it. Windows will attempt to use your memory
    to the fullest by loading what it deems the most important data for
    quicker referencing. If you clean this out, Windows will simply attempt
    to refill what was removed and even if it doesn't, you still lose
    performance as the computer now has to work longer to reach the data.

    As for the OP, what do you mean it drops to about 2-3%? How much memory
    do you have and what do you mean by correct physical memory level?

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    jack m wrote:
    > I use a small program from "analog x" called "maxmemory"
    > It's small and it's free. Scanned it' it's clean. It puts
    > A small graph next to your clock. you can tell at a glance
    > how much mem. you have. Click on it and it free's up
    > memory. jack m

    Memory exists to be used and Windows will always attempt find some
    use, anything at all that might potentially be of some benefit, rather
    than just leaving it sitting there unused and idly going to rot.

    If you can describe some specific problems that you are having that
    you attribute to the lack of physical memory then it will likely be
    possible to help you to resolve those problems and identify the actual
    underlying cause.

    As another response said, spyware products are endemic, and if your
    computer is infested with these then that will have a negative impact
    on performance and perhaps on stability as well.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

Hardware Microsoft Physical Memory Windows XP