physical memory drains away

July 17, 2004 5:57:07 AM

can somebody help? i have to keep rebooting my computer to
attain the correct physical memory level , however after a
few hours it drops gradually down to about 2-3% then i
have to reboot.

More about : physical memory drains

Anonymous
July 17, 2004 10:25:21 AM

Try installing and running some spyware tools. Highly
recommended is SpyBot Search & Destroy
www.safer-networking.org and Ad-Aware 6.181
www.lavasoftusa.com
Both of these are also available at the mirror site
www.majorgeeks.com on the spyware tools page.
Also be sure the XP firewall is enabled or install a
firewall.
Scan for viruses and Trojans.

Note XP should be using all of the memory, the question is
when you open a new program or file, is something preventing
XP from flushing the old data and opening the program/file?
Also, if your computer is on-line and infected/hacked it can
be working for "others" doing server duty sending spam or
swapping files. That is what a good firewall such as Zone
Alarm will alert you to, it will control in and out bound
traffic.

"mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2f1ba01c46bdc$09b2dab0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
| can somebody help? i have to keep rebooting my computer to
| attain the correct physical memory level , however after a
| few hours it drops gradually down to about 2-3% then i
| have to reboot.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 9:30:11 PM

I use a small program from "analog x" called "maxmemory"
It's small and it's free. Scanned it' it's clean. It puts
A small graph next to your clock. you can tell at a glance
how much mem. you have. Click on it and it free's up
memory. jack m

July 17, 2004 11:30:37 PM

Sorry to burst your bubble, but generally speaking, programs that claim
to free up memory do exactly the opposite of what they promise. By
cleaning programs out of the memory, they do not actually increase
performance, they decrease it. Windows will attempt to use your memory
to the fullest by loading what it deems the most important data for
quicker referencing. If you clean this out, Windows will simply attempt
to refill what was removed and even if it doesn't, you still lose
performance as the computer now has to work longer to reach the data.

As for the OP, what do you mean it drops to about 2-3%? How much memory
do you have and what do you mean by correct physical memory level?

----
Nathan McNulty

jack m wrote:
> I use a small program from "analog x" called "maxmemory"
> It's small and it's free. Scanned it' it's clean. It puts
> A small graph next to your clock. you can tell at a glance
> how much mem. you have. Click on it and it free's up
> memory. jack m

Anonymous
July 18, 2004 10:53:42 AM

"mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>can somebody help? i have to keep rebooting my computer to
>attain the correct physical memory level , however after a
>few hours it drops gradually down to about 2-3% then i
>have to reboot.

Memory exists to be used and Windows will always attempt find some
use, anything at all that might potentially be of some benefit, rather
than just leaving it sitting there unused and idly going to rot.

If you can describe some specific problems that you are having that
you attribute to the lack of physical memory then it will likely be
possible to help you to resolve those problems and identify the actual
underlying cause.

As another response said, spyware products are endemic, and if your
computer is infested with these then that will have a negative impact
on performance and perhaps on stability as well.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP