P4T and Leadtek A310td

I was told by Leadtek that their A310td board would be OK for any system
that was AGP 2.0 compatible, or used 1.5v. Not sure if the latter is any
real assurance that smoke will not occur.

Anyway, I've looked at the Asus site for P4T and P4T-E and didn't see
anything except 'AGP Pro'. Anyone happen to know this one?

Paul

Splendid

In article <ajb4s0hpbidlhik4fkj9om1hc7k0ktc9mg@4ax.com>, _B
<_B@nospam.com> wrote:

> I was told by Leadtek that their A310td board would be OK for any system
> that was AGP 2.0 compatible, or used 1.5v. Not sure if the latter is any
> real assurance that smoke will not occur.
>
> Anyway, I've looked at the Asus site for P4T and P4T-E and didn't see
> anything except 'AGP Pro'. Anyone happen to know this one?

The picture in the manual of the P4T looks like there is a
key in the 1.5V position of the AGP slot. That means if you
attempted to plug in a 3.3V only video card, it wouldn't
fit because of that plastic key. The key is there, to help
prevent the wrong kind of card from being plugged in.

AGP Pro is defined here. Pg.12 shows what an AGP Pro 1.5V only
slot looks like. To add to the confusion, I think these pictures
should be reversed left to right, to correspond to the photo of
the motherboard in the Asus manual.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000815090340/http://www.agpforum.org/downloads/apro_r10.pdf

The pictures of the A310TD (it is actually an FX5600) are
here. The keying of the edge card is universal and supports
either 3.3V or 1.5V, and the card will ask for 1.5V if it
is plugged into a universal slot. In other words, it prefers
1.5V and will use 1.5V if given the chance. It runs at 3.3V
on a really old motherboard.

http://www.altavista.com/image/results?itag=wrx&q=a310td&kgs=1&kls=0

On another web page, I saw mention that the A310td supports
AGP 8X, so it shouldn't be a problem to plug it into the P4T.
At least, it shouldn't damage anything.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:

> In article <ajb4s0hpbidlhik4fkj9om1hc7k0ktc9mg@4ax.com>, _B
> <_B@nospam.com> wrote:
>

>>I was told by Leadtek that their A310td board would be OK for any system
>>that was AGP 2.0 compatible, or used 1.5v. Not sure if the latter is any
>>real assurance that smoke will not occur.
>>
>>Anyway, I've looked at the Asus site for P4T and P4T-E and didn't see
>>anything except 'AGP Pro'. Anyone happen to know this one?
>

> The picture in the manual of the P4T looks like there is a
> key in the 1.5V position of the AGP slot. That means if you
> attempted to plug in a 3.3V only video card, it wouldn't
> fit because of that plastic key. The key is there, to help
> prevent the wrong kind of card from being plugged in.

The P4T-E will not work with a 3.3V only video card and supposedly will
be damaged if one is used. There were big warnings about this in the box.

> AGP Pro is defined here. Pg.12 shows what an AGP Pro 1.5V only
> slot looks like. To add to the confusion, I think these pictures
> should be reversed left to right, to correspond to the photo of
> the motherboard in the Asus manual.

The P4T-E had a plastic plug that was only to be removed if using an AGP
Pro video card.