USB Hard Drive Recommendations (w/DOS drivers)

Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest nor
Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with all
USB hard drives.

Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive and
neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob S.
9 answers Last reply
More about hard drive recommendations drivers

    "Bob S." <junk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
    > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
    > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
    nor
    > Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
    > software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
    all
    > USB hard drives.
    >
    > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
    and
    > neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

    Bob:
    Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
    cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
    various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special "drivers"
    are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version to
    2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the program.
    I've no current experience with DriveImage.

    Art

    Bob,

    I have an Iomega 40Gb External HD and I use it to store image file backups from
    three PC's.

    I use BING, Boot-IT-NG from Terabyte Unlimited as it is highly recommended by
    Alex Nichol and other MVP's here. I used to use Drive Image but it is now owned
    by Symantec and the newer versions require MS "net" Framework which is a waste,
    in my opinion. Bing runs from its own boot disk which you create from the
    download and you can also get "Image for Windows" which lets you run it from
    Windows. I believe it restarts the system and performs the image and then
    reboots again.

    http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

    Bottom line, Bing is outstanding, I personally like to run it from the floppy
    which I believe uses a Linux routine, there is no chance of Windows messing up
    the image. Bing, supposedly is the only image software that provides a "true"
    byte for byte verification of your image. It fully recognizes all of my HDD and
    the External USB Iomega in particular. I usually just image to another partition
    on my second HDD and later copy it to the Iomega for safekeeping. I have also
    imaged and restored directly to and from the External HDD using Bing and it
    works great.

    I suggest you look into this alternative. Bing is not as user friendly as DI but
    is more powerful as it includes partitioning and repair utilities too for one
    low price.

    Good luck, Fred

    "Bob S." wrote:

    > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
    > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
    > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest nor
    > Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
    > software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with all
    > USB hard drives.
    >
    > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive and
    > neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

    Drive Image 2002 and ver 7 works fine also.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Art" <noonehere@longone.net> wrote in message
    > "Bob S." <junk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
    >> range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
    >> Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
    > nor
    >> Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
    >> software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
    > all
    >> USB hard drives.
    >>
    >> Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
    > and
    >> neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Bob S.
    >

    > Bob:
    > Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
    > cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
    > various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
    > "drivers"
    > are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version
    > 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
    > program.
    > I've no current experience with DriveImage.
    >
    > Art

    Art,

    Your response is very encouraging... now who is the manf of the external
    drives you are using?

    I do have the latest update for Ghost and when I boot from the floppy, it
    goes thru it's routine (select source etc.) but when you go to select the
    target drive (the USB drive) it doesn't see it. Documentation say's I need
    a DOS driver for the USB hard drive. So if you have a USB hard drive that
    Ghost can see in DOS, I sure would appreciate a model number and I'll get
    it.

    Thanks,

    Bob S.

    ">
    > Bob:
    > Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
    > cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
    > various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
    "drivers"
    > are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version
    > 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
    program.
    > I've no current experience with DriveImage.
    >
    > Art

    Fred,

    Thank you for your response and I will check it out - it sounds promising.
    Appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.

    Bob S.

    Bob S." wrote:

    > > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
    > > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
    > > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
    nor Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that
    the software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
    all USB hard drives.

    > > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
    and neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive
    images.Any suggestions? Thanks,

    > > Bob S.

    RESPONSE BY ART:
    > > Bob:
    > > Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
    > > cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
    > > various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
    > > "drivers"> are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the
    current version
    > > to 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
    > > program. I've no current experience with DriveImage.
    > >
    > > Art

    FROM BOB:
    > Art,
    >
    > Your response is very encouraging... now who is the manf of the external
    > drives you are using?
    >
    > I do have the latest update for Ghost and when I boot from the floppy, it
    > goes thru it's routine (select source etc.) but when you go to select the
    > target drive (the USB drive) it doesn't see it. Documentation say's I
    need
    > a DOS driver for the USB hard drive. So if you have a USB hard drive that
    > Ghost can see in DOS, I sure would appreciate a model number and I'll get
    > it.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

    Bob:
    I'm not sure why you're having that kind of a problem with Ghost. Are you
    certain the floppy was correctly created? Here's a set of instructions I
    recently prepared for a local computer club re creating the Ghost floppy.
    Perhaps it will be of some value to you.
    PREPARING THE GHOST FLOPPY DISK

    1. Insert a blank floppy disk. It need not be formatted.

    2. Access your Ghost program. Make sure you have the latest version 2003.793
    (as of 7/04).

    3. Click on Ghost Utilities and select Norton Ghost Boot Wizard.

    4. Select Standard Ghost Boot Disk. On the following dialog box (assuming
    you have USB 2.0 capability), select "USB 2.0 Support" and check "Assign DOS
    drive letters". Click Next.

    5. Select the "Use PC-DOS" option in the next dialog box.

    6. Complete the process following the screen prompts.

    7. Remove floppy and label accordingly.

    With the USB external hard drive connected, boot up with the Ghost floppy
    and perform the cloning operation. You should be able to easily perform this
    operation by stepping through Ghost's informative dialog boxes. Just
    remember that the source disk is your internal hard drive and the
    destination disk is your USB external hard drive. Also remember to
    disconnect any other storage devices you may have connected to your computer
    (ZIP drives, flash/jump drives, etc.) before you begin the cloning
    operation.

    I've cloned dozens of internal hard drives to a variety of USB (both 1.1 &
    2.0) external hard drives without any problems. By & large I use "no-name"
    USB external hard drive enclosures and install a hard drive in the
    enclosure. You can purchase these enclosures from a variety of sources on
    the net for not much more than $30 or so. And with the falling prices of
    hard drives, it's an economical route to go. Another advantage of this
    arrangement is that if & when the need arises, you can remove the hard drive
    for other purposes or substitute a larger drive for the one presently
    installed. In terms of performance I've found no difference between the
    "cheapo" enclosures and higher-priced ones. It goes without saying that you
    will use a USB 2.0 compliant enclosure.

    I have also used the Western Digital and Maxtor (sealed) USB external drives
    and they perform equally well. I notice their prices are also falling
    rapidly so this might be a more comfortable option for users who have no
    interest in purchasing an enclosure and installing their own hard drive in
    the enclosure.

    As I have previously indicated I have never used "drivers" (DOS or
    otherwise) in my cloning operations. Everything needed is on the Ghost
    floppy, at least based upon my experience.

    Art

    snipe of good info....

    Art,

    I have done exactly as you stated for preparing the floppy and have tried
    both MS-DOS and PCDOS to no avail. Obviously I'm overlooking something
    (it'll be one of those slap the forehead type D'oh's.....;-) I obviously
    have an incompatibility problem somewhere and these systems are 4 years old
    (Abit mb, PIII-800MHz) but from what I've read, and from what you've said,
    it should work.

    I have version 1.1 USB ports on the motherboard and although I've configured
    the floppies accordingly, that just may be the problem. I'll go get a high
    speed USB card and give that a try. Other than that, I'll get an internal
    drive and image the other systems across the network.

    Thanks for the excellent instructions, your time and efforts. I'll let you
    know what I find out, one way or another, so watch this space....

    Bob S.

    Art,

    Installed a new 2 port USB (PCI) card Ver 2 compliant and all is well with
    the world... Ghost now see's the drive and it works as advertised. Made
    several images, wiped my primary HD (test machine) and then restored from
    image and it works fine on the Win98SE machines. Now on to the WinXP Pro
    box and see what happens there.

    Thank you for your suggestions and advice,

    Bob S.

    I need some help here, can anyone tell me how to formatt a floppy disk for my
    Dell laptop that is originally formatted for IBM? I can't seem to access my
    floppy so I can save backups. They tell me that floppies work on any
    computer, but this does not seem to be the case. If you can help me, or if
    ANYONE can help me, e-mail me at RichardUhlman@hotmail.com, OR
    choirmember1@yahoo.com with your answer please.

    "Bob S." wrote:

    > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
    > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
    > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest nor
    > Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
    > software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with all
    > USB hard drives.
    >
    > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive and
    > neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob S.

DOS Drivers Hard Drives USB Windows XP