USB Hard Drive Recommendations (w/DOS drivers)

a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 2:11:51 PM

Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest nor
Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with all
USB hard drives.

Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive and
neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bob S.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 2:35:04 PM

"Bob S." <junk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
> range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
> Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
nor
> Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
> software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
all
> USB hard drives.
>
> Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
and
> neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Bob:
Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special "drivers"
are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version to
2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the program.
I've no current experience with DriveImage.

Art
July 17, 2004 3:03:08 PM

Bob,

I have an Iomega 40Gb External HD and I use it to store image file backups from
three PC's.

I use BING, Boot-IT-NG from Terabyte Unlimited as it is highly recommended by
Alex Nichol and other MVP's here. I used to use Drive Image but it is now owned
by Symantec and the newer versions require MS "net" Framework which is a waste,
in my opinion. Bing runs from its own boot disk which you create from the
download and you can also get "Image for Windows" which lets you run it from
Windows. I believe it restarts the system and performs the image and then
reboots again.

http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html

Bottom line, Bing is outstanding, I personally like to run it from the floppy
which I believe uses a Linux routine, there is no chance of Windows messing up
the image. Bing, supposedly is the only image software that provides a "true"
byte for byte verification of your image. It fully recognizes all of my HDD and
the External USB Iomega in particular. I usually just image to another partition
on my second HDD and later copy it to the Iomega for safekeeping. I have also
imaged and restored directly to and from the External HDD using Bing and it
works great.

I suggest you look into this alternative. Bing is not as user friendly as DI but
is more powerful as it includes partitioning and repair utilities too for one
low price.

Good luck, Fred

"Bob S." wrote:

> Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
> range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
> Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest nor
> Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
> software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with all
> USB hard drives.
>
> Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive and
> neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 3:30:09 PM

Drive Image 2002 and ver 7 works fine also.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Art" <noonehere@longone.net> wrote in message
> "Bob S." <junk@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
>> range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
>> Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
> nor
>> Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that the
>> software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
> all
>> USB hard drives.
>>
>> Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
> and
>> neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive images.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bob S.
>

> Bob:
> Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
> cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
> various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
> "drivers"
> are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version
> 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
> program.
> I've no current experience with DriveImage.
>
> Art

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 6:47:22 PM

Art,

Your response is very encouraging... now who is the manf of the external
drives you are using?

I do have the latest update for Ghost and when I boot from the floppy, it
goes thru it's routine (select source etc.) but when you go to select the
target drive (the USB drive) it doesn't see it. Documentation say's I need
a DOS driver for the USB hard drive. So if you have a USB hard drive that
Ghost can see in DOS, I sure would appreciate a model number and I'll get
it.

Thanks,

Bob S.

">
> Bob:
> Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
> cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
> various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
"drivers"
> are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the current version
> 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
program.
> I've no current experience with DriveImage.
>
> Art

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 6:49:33 PM

Fred,

Thank you for your response and I will check it out - it sounds promising.
Appreciate the time you took to answer my questions.

Bob S.

<Fred@anonymous.com> wrote in message news:40F93FAC.1676DB9E@nycap.rr.com...
> Bob,
>
> I have an Iomega 40Gb External HD and I use it to store image file backups
from
> three PC's.
>
> I use BING, Boot-IT-NG from Terabyte Unlimited as it is highly recommended
by
> Alex Nichol and other MVP's here. I used to use Drive Image but it is now
owned
> by Symantec and the newer versions require MS "net" Framework which is a
waste,
> in my opinion. Bing runs from its own boot disk which you create from the
> download and you can also get "Image for Windows" which lets you run it
from
> Windows. I believe it restarts the system and performs the image and then
> reboots again.
>
> http://terabyteunlimited.com/bootitng.html
>
> Bottom line, Bing is outstanding, I personally like to run it from the
floppy
> which I believe uses a Linux routine, there is no chance of Windows
messing up
> the image. Bing, supposedly is the only image software that provides a
"true"
> byte for byte verification of your image. It fully recognizes all of my
HDD and
> the External USB Iomega in particular. I usually just image to another
partition
> on my second HDD and later copy it to the Iomega for safekeeping. I have
also
> imaged and restored directly to and from the External HDD using Bing and
it
> works great.
>
> I suggest you look into this alternative. Bing is not as user friendly as
DI but
> is more powerful as it includes partitioning and repair utilities too for
one
> low price.
>
> Good luck, Fred
>
> "Bob S." wrote:
>
> > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
> > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
> > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
nor
> > Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that
the
> > software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
all
> > USB hard drives.
> >
> > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
and
> > neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive
images.

> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob S.

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 8:04:27 PM

Bob S." wrote:

> > Anyone know of a manufacturer that makes USB hard drives (100Gb to 200Gb
> > range) that also have DOS drivers for them so they will work with either
> > Ghost 2003 or Drive Image (now a Symantec product). Neither PowerQuest
nor Symantec state any hardware manufacturers in their documentation that
the software will work with. Ironic, since on the box they state works with
all USB hard drives.

> > Have tried Western Digitals USB 160Gb drive and SimpleTech's 120Gb drive
and neither provides DOS drivers. These are needed when making drive
images.Any suggestions? Thanks,

> > Bob S.

RESPONSE BY ART:
> > Bob:
> > Using the Ghost 2003 program created on a floppy disk I have routinely
> > cloned my internal hard drives having capacities of 160 GB and 200 GB to
> > various USB 2.0 external hard drives with no problems. No special
> > "drivers"> are necessary. If you use Ghost, make sure you update the
current version
> > to 2003.793 using Symantec's LiveUpdate feature that's built into the
> > program. I've no current experience with DriveImage.
> >
> > Art

FROM BOB:
> Art,
>
> Your response is very encouraging... now who is the manf of the external
> drives you are using?
>
> I do have the latest update for Ghost and when I boot from the floppy, it
> goes thru it's routine (select source etc.) but when you go to select the
> target drive (the USB drive) it doesn't see it. Documentation say's I
need
> a DOS driver for the USB hard drive. So if you have a USB hard drive that
> Ghost can see in DOS, I sure would appreciate a model number and I'll get
> it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob S.

Bob:
I'm not sure why you're having that kind of a problem with Ghost. Are you
certain the floppy was correctly created? Here's a set of instructions I
recently prepared for a local computer club re creating the Ghost floppy.
Perhaps it will be of some value to you.
PREPARING THE GHOST FLOPPY DISK

1. Insert a blank floppy disk. It need not be formatted.

2. Access your Ghost program. Make sure you have the latest version 2003.793
(as of 7/04).

3. Click on Ghost Utilities and select Norton Ghost Boot Wizard.

4. Select Standard Ghost Boot Disk. On the following dialog box (assuming
you have USB 2.0 capability), select "USB 2.0 Support" and check "Assign DOS
drive letters". Click Next.

5. Select the "Use PC-DOS" option in the next dialog box.

6. Complete the process following the screen prompts.

7. Remove floppy and label accordingly.

With the USB external hard drive connected, boot up with the Ghost floppy
and perform the cloning operation. You should be able to easily perform this
operation by stepping through Ghost's informative dialog boxes. Just
remember that the source disk is your internal hard drive and the
destination disk is your USB external hard drive. Also remember to
disconnect any other storage devices you may have connected to your computer
(ZIP drives, flash/jump drives, etc.) before you begin the cloning
operation.

I've cloned dozens of internal hard drives to a variety of USB (both 1.1 &
2.0) external hard drives without any problems. By & large I use "no-name"
USB external hard drive enclosures and install a hard drive in the
enclosure. You can purchase these enclosures from a variety of sources on
the net for not much more than $30 or so. And with the falling prices of
hard drives, it's an economical route to go. Another advantage of this
arrangement is that if & when the need arises, you can remove the hard drive
for other purposes or substitute a larger drive for the one presently
installed. In terms of performance I've found no difference between the
"cheapo" enclosures and higher-priced ones. It goes without saying that you
will use a USB 2.0 compliant enclosure.

I have also used the Western Digital and Maxtor (sealed) USB external drives
and they perform equally well. I notice their prices are also falling
rapidly so this might be a more comfortable option for users who have no
interest in purchasing an enclosure and installing their own hard drive in
the enclosure.

As I have previously indicated I have never used "drivers" (DOS or
otherwise) in my cloning operations. Everything needed is on the Ghost
floppy, at least based upon my experience.

Art
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 17, 2004 9:01:50 PM

snipe of good info....

Art,

I have done exactly as you stated for preparing the floppy and have tried
both MS-DOS and PCDOS to no avail. Obviously I'm overlooking something
(it'll be one of those slap the forehead type D'oh's.....;-) I obviously
have an incompatibility problem somewhere and these systems are 4 years old
(Abit mb, PIII-800MHz) but from what I've read, and from what you've said,
it should work.

I have version 1.1 USB ports on the motherboard and although I've configured
the floppies accordingly, that just may be the problem. I'll go get a high
speed USB card and give that a try. Other than that, I'll get an internal
drive and image the other systems across the network.

Thanks for the excellent instructions, your time and efforts. I'll let you
know what I find out, one way or another, so watch this space....

Bob S.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 18, 2004 5:53:13 PM

Art,

Installed a new 2 port USB (PCI) card Ver 2 compliant and all is well with
the world... Ghost now see's the drive and it works as advertised. Made
several images, wiped my primary HD (test machine) and then restored from
image and it works fine on the Win98SE machines. Now on to the WinXP Pro
box and see what happens there.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice,

Bob S.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
October 14, 2004 5:25:09 PM

I need some help here, can anyone tell me how to formatt a floppy disk for my
Dell laptop that is originally formatted for IBM? I can't seem to access my
floppy so I can save backups. They tell me that floppies work on any
computer, but this does not seem to be the case. If you can help me, or if
ANYONE can help me, e-mail me at RichardUhlman@hotmail.com, OR
choirmember1@yahoo.com with your answer please.

!