xp cd will not give prompt

I just built a new system with an asus a7v880 mobo, a basic
cd drive, a cd/rw drive, and a western digital 80 gig driveSATA. I
originally had a grounding issue where I got no power to any periferal
or
IDE sockets. That has been solved. The system boots and posts just
fine.
It finds all drive properly in the bios and I disabled the floppy drive
in
the bios(none installed) and have the cd master as first boot then IDE
HDD
second. All connections are fine and all jumpers are correct with cd
master
jumper on master and HDD master also in master. When the O/S cd is put
in
the cd master drive I hear it start as I do the HDD drive but no prompt
for
" boot to cd drive press any key ". All I get is a blinking cursor. I
have
2 XP registered cd's. I tried both with the same results. What am I
forgetting or missing? Help, I'm at a loss. Is there still a grounding
issue between the cd drives or HDD that is causing this to happen
Thank You So Much for any Responses

David Priessman wrote:
> I believe that, without loading the SATA drivers at the prompt from a
> floppy, WinXP won't recognise the drive....same as with drives on an
> expansion board, such as a raid board.

Thank You for your response,

If I load win2000pro(i believe that they have SATA drivers on the disk)
first then upgrade to XP do you think that may work?

Thanks Again

KC Computers wrote:
> >I just built a new system with an asus a7v880 mobo, a basic
> > cd drive, a cd/rw drive, and a western digital 80 gig driveSATA. I
> > originally had a grounding issue where I got no power to any
periferal
> > or > IDE sockets. That has been solved. The system boots and
posts just
> > fine.> It finds all drive properly in the bios and I disabled the
floppy
> > drive
> > in> the bios(none installed) and have the cd master as first boot
then IDE
> > HDD> second. All connections are fine and all jumpers are correct
with cd
> > master> jumper on master and HDD master also in master. When the
O/S cd
> > is put
> > in> the cd master drive I hear it start as I do the HDD drive but
no
> > prompt
> > for
> > " boot to cd drive press any key ". All I get is a blinking
cursor. I

> It sounds like the CD-ROM drive may not be getting
> recognized. Try disconnecting the hard drive cable
> then see if the XP CD boots.
>
> ---
> Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
> E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
> Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

I'll give it a go. I was thinking of loading 2000 pro first because
the sata drivers are on thatone, then upgrading.
Thanks for the response

Pete D wrote:
> >> ---
> >> Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
> >> E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
> >> Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!
> >
> > I'll give it a go. I was thinking of loading 2000 pro first
because
> > the sata drivers are on thatone, then upgrading.
> > Thanks for the response
> >

> You should be able to boot from a CD with no hard drive install.
I'll give it a try

Thank you for all your responses

I believe that, without loading the SATA drivers at the prompt from a
floppy, WinXP won't recognise the drive....same as with drives on an
expansion board, such as a raid board.

>I just built a new system with an asus a7v880 mobo, a basic
> cd drive, a cd/rw drive, and a western digital 80 gig driveSATA. I
> originally had a grounding issue where I got no power to any periferal
> or > IDE sockets. That has been solved. The system boots and posts just
> fine.> It finds all drive properly in the bios and I disabled the floppy
> drive
> in> the bios(none installed) and have the cd master as first boot then IDE
> HDD> second. All connections are fine and all jumpers are correct with cd
> master> jumper on master and HDD master also in master. When the O/S cd
> is put
> in> the cd master drive I hear it start as I do the HDD drive but no
> prompt
> for
> " boot to cd drive press any key ". All I get is a blinking cursor. I

It sounds like the CD-ROM drive may not be getting
recognized. Try disconnecting the hard drive cable
then see if the XP CD boots.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner KC COMPUTERS
E-mail: kc@kc-computers.com Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer for 13+ years!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

ytrewq

you are not using XP upgrade CD....are you?
Have you tried using just 1 CD drive at a time? I would try each seperately,
jumpered as master.