weird error while change video card fr nVidia to ATi

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

At first the system with nVidia FX5200 video card works
perfectly.

While swith to ATi Radeon 9600 video card, I get many
error messages at logon screen:

"Windwos was unable to save all the data for the file
$Mft..." and same for the below files/folders:

Windows\
Windows\tasks
Windows\tasks\SA.DAT
Windows\system32
Windows\system32\drivers
Windows\system32\config

Thus I can't login while boot at normal mode. However, I
can login at safe mode without any problems.

Under safe mode I unistall the nVidia display driver as I
thought this conflicts with the ATi card. But no help.

I installed a clean XP at another partition of this
system, everything is good. This means the ATi video card
has no problem.

I hate to spend many hours to reinstall and configure all
the application software at the new partition. I hope
someone can help me fix the problem.

Much much thanks.

kelly

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

In Recovery Console, change to the c:\Windows folder.

Type cd sytem32\config , and then press ENTER.
Type dir system , and then press ENTER.

Depending on your error message, use as follows:

Next type: ren software software.bak and then press ENTER.

or:

type ren system system.bak and then press ENTER.

Next type:

copy c:\windows\repair\software , and then press ENTER.

or:

copy c:\windows\repair\system , and then press ENTER.

Exit, reboot.

More info here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

--
All the Best,