CD-RW in Windows Media Player

I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??
6 answers Last reply
More about windows media player

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319

    Also, since you said it was working before, I am going to assume that
    you are using the same media as before (some media may not work, so try
    it again with the same media as before if you haven't). How many
    minutes is the compilation you are trying to copy? You may be out of
    luck as some retail CD's can contain quite a few more minutes of music
    than a normal CD-R or CD-RW.

    Also, you said you burn compilation CD's, so you are doing a mix match
    job and not a straight copy? If you want to do just a straight copy,
    you could always use Nero. You could also try ripping to MP3 using a
    program like CDex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) and burn the songs with Nero ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    dlbeswick wrote:
    > I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

    Did you try another blank CD - maybe you have a bad blank?

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    "dlbeswick" <dlbeswick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn
    compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my
    originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a
    break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to
    insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank
    CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the
    computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even
    re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing
    Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the
    blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

    I have been using Fujifilm CD-Rs almost exclusively because my Son told me that they are the best(?), but I also tried a Maxtell and an Imation CD-R and had the same result. I did start having the problem when I opened a new 100 pack of Fuji's but I would have thought that the others I tried eliminated that possibility.I tried 3 different blanks from the new pack. Could it be possible that a dirty lens could cause this?

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
    >
    > Also, since you said it was working before, I am going to assume that
    > you are using the same media as before (some media may not work, so try
    > it again with the same media as before if you haven't). How many
    > minutes is the compilation you are trying to copy? You may be out of
    > luck as some retail CD's can contain quite a few more minutes of music
    > than a normal CD-R or CD-RW.
    >
    > Also, you said you burn compilation CD's, so you are doing a mix match
    > job and not a straight copy? If you want to do just a straight copy,
    > you could always use Nero. You could also try ripping to MP3 using a
    > program like CDex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) and burn the songs with Nero ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > dlbeswick wrote:
    > > I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

    I had just opened a new 100 pack of Fujifilm CD-Rs so I first encountered the problem with the topmost CD-R, so I tied two more from different parts of the 100-pack. I also tried an Imation and a Maxell. All with the same results. It seems like the drive doesn't recognize the blanks. Could this be a dirty lens, or something like that?

    "Star Fleet Admiral Q" wrote:

    > Did you try another blank CD - maybe you have a bad blank?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service
    > "dlbeswick" <dlbeswick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn
    > compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my
    > originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a
    > break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to
    > insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank
    > CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the
    > computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even
    > re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing
    > Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the
    > blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

    Out of frustration, I deleted Media Player and reloaded it, bought and used a lens cleaner and bought a pack of Memorex CD-Rs, and now it's working again. I tried using the Fuji's again, and the drive still won't recognize them. I'm contacting Fuji for a refund. Thanks to all who answered.

    "Nathan McNulty" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
    >
    > Also, since you said it was working before, I am going to assume that
    > you are using the same media as before (some media may not work, so try
    > it again with the same media as before if you haven't). How many
    > minutes is the compilation you are trying to copy? You may be out of
    > luck as some retail CD's can contain quite a few more minutes of music
    > than a normal CD-R or CD-RW.
    >
    > Also, you said you burn compilation CD's, so you are doing a mix match
    > job and not a straight copy? If you want to do just a straight copy,
    > you could always use Nero. You could also try ripping to MP3 using a
    > program like CDex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) and burn the songs with Nero ;)
    >
    > ----
    > Nathan McNulty
    >

    > dlbeswick wrote:
    > > I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

    Before you return those discs. What CD-RW drive do you have?
    Compatibility issues are generally fixed with firmware updates. I am
    willing to bet (especially since Taiyo Yuden are not a generic and very
    common CD) that there is an update for your drive to add compatibility.
    Follow up with the make and model and I'll see if I can find out for you ;)

    ----
    Nathan McNulty

    dlbeswick wrote:
    > Out of frustration, I deleted Media Player and reloaded it, bought and used a lens cleaner and bought a pack of Memorex CD-Rs, and now it's working again. I tried using the Fuji's again, and the drive still won't recognize them. I'm contacting Fuji for a refund. Thanks to all who answered.
    >
    > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
    >

    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306319
    >>
    >>Also, since you said it was working before, I am going to assume that
    >>you are using the same media as before (some media may not work, so try
    >>it again with the same media as before if you haven't). How many
    >>minutes is the compilation you are trying to copy? You may be out of
    >>luck as some retail CD's can contain quite a few more minutes of music
    >>than a normal CD-R or CD-RW.
    >>
    >>Also, you said you burn compilation CD's, so you are doing a mix match
    >>job and not a straight copy? If you want to do just a straight copy,
    >>you could always use Nero. You could also try ripping to MP3 using a
    >>program like CDex (http://www.cdex.n3.net/) and burn the songs with Nero ;)
    >>
    >>----
    >>Nathan McNulty
    >>

    >>dlbeswick wrote:
    >>
    >>>I am using XP-Pro for my OS, Atapi CD-RW 52-24-52 drive and I burn compilation music CDs for myself (no pirating) because I don't want my originals ripped off from my car, and I did several today. After a break, I went back to make another CD and Media Player tells me to insert a blank CD. I did and I continually receive the insert a blank CD and retry box. I tried several different blank CDs, re-booting the computer, reloading the drivers, running virus scans, and even re-downloading Media Player 9, and then downloading and installing Media Player 10 beta but nothing works. It just will not recognize the blank CD. Anyone have any other ideas??

CD-Rom Media Player Windows XP