Booting A7V400-MX from USB key drive?

If you have Asus A7V400-MX (micro-ATX) motherboard, can you tell me if
you can boot from USB key drive? Ability to boot from USB key drive is
main requirement I'm looking for.

--
William Park <opengeometry@yahoo.ca>
Linux solution for data processing.

    Providing that key drive has a bootable image/file, then yes. You can
    select boot from usb in the bios.

    In article <32j4qiF3n06paU1@individual.net>, William Park
    <opengeometry@yahoo.ca> wrote:

    > If you have Asus A7V400-MX (micro-ATX) motherboard, can you tell me if
    > you can boot from USB key drive? Ability to boot from USB key drive is
    > main requirement I'm looking for.

    The BIOS has options for USB-HDD and USB-FDD, and that is
    supposed to allow booting from a USB device. But the
    preparation of the device is one of the keys to success,
    as you'll find many people cannot get it to work:

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=5tuu50dhqtqfgn181r32f1aefu7ch90gjh%404ax.com

    Since device preparation and BIOS bugs are issues, you likely
    won't know for sure until it is sitting on your desk.

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?threadm=iivxb.13949%24lm1.108610%40wards.force9.net

    And just a generic word of warning - Asus microATX boards have
    the worst BIOS, in terms of allowing user configuration.
    Now, the BIOS does have some options that seem to do what
    you want, but if they don't work, I wouldn't be holding
    my breath waiting for Asus to fix it. A full size board seems
    to get better treatment. (Click the "more" links next to the
    BIOS releases on the download page for the board, to see
    the release notes for the BIOS. Almost all the BIOS releases
    add support for new CPUs, with no mention of any fixes for
    the main code.)

    Paul

    Well, I've never really had a problem with it. Just goofing around I
    actually booted up msdos 6.22 from a usb key drive. I dunno, maybe good
    luck?

    Browser Joe <i.dont@think.so> wrote:
    > Well, I've never really had a problem with it. Just goofing around I
    > actually booted up msdos 6.22 from a usb key drive. I dunno, maybe
    > good luck?

    If you can boot MSDOS from USB key drive, then I can boot Linux. Thanks
    Joe. First-hand report is what I'm looking for. Most modern BIOS has
    USB-* options, but some just lies (eg. Via EPIA).

    Background:
    I'm planning to setup Linux thin-client, made up of motherboard,
    case, and USB key drive. Just turn it on, you have 100% solid state
    machine. Initially, I looked at Via mini-ITX boards, but they are
    simply pricing themselves out of the market.

Asus Boot USB Motherboards