Help on file sharing

I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to access
the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click on My
Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard drive. I
know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on the
network. I did the same on my desktop.

Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
laptop but not vise versa? Please help

thank you

yuke

Sam

Check Windows XP firewall on your laptop

"Yuke" wrote:

> I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
> laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to access
> the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click on My
> Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard drive. I
> know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on the
> network. I did the same on my desktop.
>
> Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
> laptop but not vise versa? Please help
>
> thank you
>
> yuke

www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm

Carey

"Yuke" <yusukeyu44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
>laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to
>access the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click
>on My Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard
>drive. I know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on
>the network. I did the same on my desktop.
>
> Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
> laptop but not vise versa? Please help
>
> thank you
>
> yuke

I am having the same probs - not as simple as adding network printer though.
I have 2 x dell laptops, both running XP Home (SP2); 2 x BT voyager 1060
wireless adapter; 1 x Linksys WAG54G(UK) wireless-g ADSL . I have connected
to the Internet (BT broadband) simply enough but have run the network set up
wizard till am blue in the face but without apparent success at joining my 2
laptops so that they can share files and share printer.

I keep getting the error message regarding the Wireless Zero Configuration;
have enabled it, disabled it and set to auto but still no joy. Is this a red
herring?

On both laptops I do however see the wireless connection symbols - wirelss
connection and signal strength and both seem to tell me that I am connected.
Not sure or confident as to actual status; have asked each computer to map
the network and neither shows that it sees the other.

Firewall is, I think, disabled on both laptops. Would VERY MUCH appreciate
some guidance and ideally be able to speak it through with someone.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Paul Miller

"Carey Holzman" wrote:

> www.careyholzman.com/net1.htm
>
> Carey
>
> "Yuke" <yusukeyu44@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >I am trying to establish a file sharing network between my desktop and
> >laptop via wireless network. I tried to do the setup and I am able to
> >access the hard drive on the desktop from my laptop. However when I click
> >on My Network Places on my desktop I can't see any icons for the hard
> >drive. I know I set the hard drive on my laptop so that it'll be shared on
> >the network. I did the same on my desktop.
> >
> > Why is it that I can only access to the hard drive on the desktop from my
> > laptop but not vise versa? Please help
> >
> > thank you
> >
> > yuke

Malke

paulgmiller wrote:

> I am having the same probs

(snip)

Paul - you have posted this twice now in someone else's thread. Please
don't hijack other people's threads, even if you think the problem is
similar. It makes it impossible to give both people good help. Post
your question, including all details as clearly and concisely as you
can, in a *new* thread. In the meantime, run through MVP Hans-Georg
Michna's troubleshooter here:

http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm

Then post back the results in the *new* thread you will start. Keep
posts about one subject in one thread.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Many thanks for your advise and patience - newsgroup etiquette is if course
noted.

Having been around the houses with various help and advice I concluded that
my problem probably had 'firewall' as its root cause. I therefore decided to
uninstall 'Norton ISP 2005' from my laptop #2 but leave 'Norton Anti-Virus
2004' installed on laptop #1. The big difference here being in the firewall
application in Norton ISP 2005. This did the trick.

I have since re-installed Norton ISP 2005 on laptop #2, closely following
the advice in the manual (softcopy only available on disc and takes ages to
plough through) and the total wireless networked system is operating
perfectly, file and printer sharing complete. Neither the Newtorking or
Wireless Networking wizards in Windows XP were necessary, even though, like
many other posts, these had been tried ad nauseum.

Problem solved; all help and advice was very gratefully received.

Regards,