Moving ASUS A7V8X RAID(1) drive to another MB

Hi,
I have an ASUS A7V8X MB configured in RAID(1) mode using the onboard
Promise controller chip and two SATA drives. Everything works fine.

I am having some problems with the ASUS board using a dual video
adapter configuration and I want to test my system on another MB (I was
thinking about the ABit N7).

Can I just unhook one SATA drive from my ASUS system and plug it into
the SATA connector on the new MB and expect the drive to boot? I would
want to use the drive simply as a SATA drive with no RAID.

I ask this question because I don't know what Promise does to the a
drive to make it a RAID(1).

Thanks for your help,
Greg Laird
6 answers Last reply
More about moving asus a7v8x raid drive

    Do you have some experience with this? I was hoping that the promise
    drive simply wrote the array configuration info on an unsued portion of
    the SATA drive and if I hooked the SATA drive to an unraid controller,
    it would just look like a plain SATA drive.

    What do you think?

    it might boot..but chances are you will crash...you are changing all the M/B
    drivers..one is a VIA chipset..the other Nvidia..so chances are you will
    corrupt the XP installation and have to reformat..but that is just a chance

    also if the RAID chipset is different you will have some issues..you may not
    boot at all

    but Windows has loaded as a RAID array..I am running RAID 0..but you may get
    away with it...when you look in your device manager windows will show an
    array..not a single SATA drive..and if the controllers are different...ie
    promise to SIL..then Windows may not see it. Try Googl'n it to see if there
    are more facts. Am just going on basic principle here as a Computer
    Diagnostic tech.

    For the record, if anyone is interested, I did the following. I
    purchased a ASUS A7N8X motherboard that provides the Sil 3112A SATA
    RAID controller. I booted from an IDE drive and installed the Sil
    3112A drivers into a Windows 200 Pro system. I installed one of my
    RAID(1) SATA drives written by the Promise PDC20376 RAID controller
    chip. The Sil 3112A controller was able to read the drive written by
    my old RAID(1) configuration--it looked like an ordinary SATA drive.
    So, in this instance, drives written in a RAID(1) format by Promise
    were able to be read by Silicon Image.

    I did try to boot from the newly mounted drive and the boot failed as
    dino suspected--Win 2K on the RAID(1) system was using Promise drivers
    and those drivers would not work with the Sil controller on the new
    system.

    So, in this instance, the OS was unusable but my data was still intact.

    Raid companies use their own methods. If you are changing controller types
    (or even models, for that matter) you are going to run into trouble.

    -Larry

    "Greg Laird" <glaird@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    > Do you have some experience with this? I was hoping that the promise
    > drive simply wrote the array configuration info on an unsued portion of
    > the SATA drive and if I hooked the SATA drive to an unraid controller,
    > it would just look like a plain SATA drive.
    >
    > What do you think?

Asus NAS / RAID SATA Motherboards