Installing a second CD-Rom drive

I curently have installed in my first bay a dvd-rom/cd-rw drive and am attempting to place a cd-rom drive in my second bay. I am using one ide cable becuase it is the only one available and no space is apparant for a second. this cable supports two devices however, my computer only will recognize one or the other. How do I get it to recognize both?

Check on the back of the drives. There should be a series of pins (6-8
of them depending on the drive). There should also be a little plastic
jumper connecting two of the pins. The first drive, your DVD Combo drive
should be set to Master (you may have to read the drive or manual to
figure out what setting is Master) and set the second drive to Slave.

----
Nathan McNulty

Varus wrote:
> I curently have installed in my first bay a dvd-rom/cd-rw drive and am attempting to place a cd-rom drive in my second bay. I am using one ide cable becuase it is the only one available and no space is apparant for a second. this cable supports two devices however, my computer only will recognize one or the other. How do I get it to recognize both?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Clarification - the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive on
the middle connector is Slave.

"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>Clarification - the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive on
>the middle connector is Slave.

Only when the jumpers are in the "cable select" position.

I have connected IDE drives in some instances using the middle
controller for the motherboard connection, master drive on one end and
slave drive on the other. Works just fine.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Wrong. If the jumper is set to master the device MUST be on the end of the
cable, same with slave - jumper to slave - middle of cable. I've been
building systems for years.

"Ron Martell" <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message
> "Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:
>
> >Clarification - the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive
on
> >the middle connector is Slave.
>
> Only when the jumpers are in the "cable select" position.
>
> I have connected IDE drives in some instances using the middle
> controller for the motherboard connection, master drive on one end and
> slave drive on the other. Works just fine.
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html

----
Nathan McNulty

Jerry wrote:
> Wrong. If the jumper is set to master the device MUST be on the end of the
> cable, same with slave - jumper to slave - middle of cable. I've been
> building systems for years.
>
> "Ron Martell" <ron@onlinehelp.bc.ca> wrote in message
>
>>"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Clarification - the drive on the end of the cable is Master and the drive
>
> on
>
>>>the middle connector is Slave.
>>
>>Only when the jumpers are in the "cable select" position.
>>
>>I have connected IDE drives in some instances using the middle
>>controller for the motherboard connection, master drive on one end and
>>slave drive on the other. Works just fine.
>>

>>Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>--
>>Microsoft MVP
>>On-Line Help Computer Service
>>http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>>"The reason computer chips are so small is computers don't eat much."

"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote:

>Wrong. If the jumper is set to master the device MUST be on the end of the
>cable, same with slave - jumper to slave - middle of cable. I've been
>building systems for years.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable-c.html

"Assuming cable select is not being used, any connector on a standard
40-conductor cable can go to any device, because all 40 wires are
connected "straight through" to all three connectors. Since two of the
connectors are closer to each other than the third, the distant
connector is normally attached to the motherboard (or hard disk
controller card). The other two devices can be used for either the
master or the slave, and it doesn't matter which is which. If a single
device is used, it should be attached to the connector at the end of
the cable, and the connector in the middle of the cable left
unattached. Using the middle connector and leaving the end connector
unattached is technically allowed for regular PIO and DMA transfer
modes, but leaves part of the cable "dangling". This is called a stub
and creates much worse electrical characteristics on the cable, due to
reflections from the unterminated ends of the cable wires. It is not
recommended."