Game Advice for a Father

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

Hello Gamers,

My 13 year old son has started playing Halo and is completely hooked on it.
I have a few questions I hope you can answer.

1) When he hosts an online game is he at risk of viruses/worms etc.. ?

2) Is there somewhere he can get an FAQ or tips on multiplayer game
etiquette?

3) The game occasionally freezes and he has to reboot (ctrl-alt-del doesn't
work), is this a video card issue?
He has latest MS patches. ( His PC is AMD XP 2400, 512MB, ATI Radeon 7500
64MB)

Any other tips or comments appreciated.

Regards,
Eric

"Somebody" <somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote in message

> I haven't seen one I like. My quick one:
> a) don't insult people. don't respond to insults
> b) don't accuse people of cheating. If you really think somebody is
> cheating, leave their server
> c) don't TK. If you do by accident, apologize immediately on the public
> channel. Abstain from further debate on the issue except to repeat an
> apology
> d) if somebody TK's you, don't complain. If they continue, ignore them
as
> they may be auto-banned by the server or the host. If not, avoid them and
> consider it an extra challenge to overcome. If you get frustrated, change
> teams. Never TK, even in self defence. It will just earn you a long
respawn
> or a ban. If somebody apologizes for a TK, say "np" or some other
> acknowledgement immediately, and move on.
>
> That's mostly chat etiquette. Level 2 is game conduct. Much more open
for
> debate. But here are mine:
>
> e) always protect the flag holder in CTF. Often a blitz that must end
> certain death is just the ticket to draw off enough fire to allow the flag
> holder to escape. Your only reward is satisfaction; you'll earn no points
> and an extra death on your tally. But people will begin to notice and
your
> team will win.
> f) Don't spawn kill unless it has direct relevance to capturing a flag.
> Never camp at a spawn point with a heavy weapon and immediately kill
> everyone that emerges.
> g) If you meet your flag holder on foot pick him up or give him your
vehicle
> so that the flag becomes invisible. If the only free seat in the Warthog
is
> the passenger, the gunner should dismount and take it so that the
flagholder
> can gun.
> h) Don't continually harass a base with a banshee without making a run at
> the flag at some point. It's usually a big spawn killing fest that proves
> nothing about your skill level. Just a cheap way to earn extra kills
> i) Kill totals are meaningless in CTF. Capture the flag. Or, help a
> teammate do so.
> j) If you take a flag from a fallen comrade that has brought it almost
all
> the way home, and he respawns within your field of view, give him the flag
> again so that he gets the point. Or, at least thank him for your score.
> k) Contratulate and/or thank your team when they help you to score.
>

> -Russ.

Nice list Russ. Every once in a great while I happen upon a server where
the majority of the players adhere to rules like this; very enjoyable.

Chris

Archived from groups: alt.games.halo (More info?)

"Somebody" <somebody@nospam.russdoucet.com> wrote in message

> -Russ.

Thanks Russ, I'll pass it on to my son. Very good points and info.

"Chris Johnson" <ctjohnson.at.tds.net@UcanFigureItOut.com> wrote in message
> [...]
at
> > the flag at some point. It's usually a big spawn killing fest that
proves
> > nothing about your skill level. Just a cheap way to earn extra kills
> > i) Kill totals are meaningless in CTF. Capture the flag. Or, help a
> > teammate do so.
> > j) If you take a flag from a fallen comrade that has brought it almost
> all
> > the way home, and he respawns within your field of view, give him the
flag
> > again so that he gets the point. Or, at least thank him for your score.
> > k) Contratulate and/or thank your team when they help you to score.
> >

> > -Russ.
> >

> Nice list Russ. Every once in a great while I happen upon a server where
> the majority of the players adhere to rules like this; very enjoyable.

The rules for online games are pretty much the same as any other game. Play
fair and within the spirit of the game (CTF anyway, slayer is just a free
for all)
I think most of the maps need some kind of spawn protection built in as
often (in my experience anyway) no-one will balance teams as people leave
and you end up with you base constantly under siege and repeately being
spawn raped. Not to mention the RL/Fuel pod gun whores who can't function
with any other weapon. These should probably have a longer respawn time.
I have yet to see anyone kicked for TKs - does such a function exist in the
game or is it up to the admin (who is almost never contactable at the time)
to boot players?

Apart from that I would agree with the previous posts.

"Bob Smalls" <muahl@nonet.net.cz> wrote in message

> I have yet to see anyone kicked for TKs - does such a function exist in
the
> game or is it up to the admin (who is almost never contactable at the
time)
> to boot players?

Here are the auto kick/ban variables in Halo-PC that an admin has control
over.

1) sv_ban_penalty [time1] [time2] [time3] [time4]
Specifies the levels of punishment for repeat offenders. The first offense
will be punished for [time1], the second offense for [time2], the third
offense for [time3], the fourth offense [time4] and the fifth offense for an
indefinite period of time (the administrator has to unban the user). The
format of time is ns, nm, nh, nd or 0. n is a digit in the 1-9 range and 0
is infinite.

2) sv_tk_ban n
Specifies the number of "team kill points" required for a player to be
kicked and banned from a server. See section H for additional information
about Controlling Team Killing and Banning undesirable players.

3) sv_tk_grace [time]
Set the grace period during which a player can only be credited with one
TKP. For example, if set to 3s, a player can only be credited for one team
kill every 3 seconds, preventing an accidental grenade explosion from
crediting multiple TKP to a player.

4) sv_tk_cooldown [time]
Set the cool down period after which a player will be forgiven one TKP if
they have not committed another team kill.