Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help: PIII 733 or 1000 on P3B-F.

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 7:38:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Presently, I'm using a Cel300a OCed to 450Mhz without trouble, however, I'm
having difficulty getting either a PIII733Mhz or a PIII1000Mhz to work on it.

-Board revision is 1.03. I've updated the bios to 1008b4.
-Memory is PC133. Video card is AGP.

-For the 1000Mhz, I've tried 7.5x133, 7.5x100, and 7.5x66, with no success.

-For the 733, I've tried 5.5x133, 5.5x100, and 5.5x66 with no success.


Can anyone give me any pointers on why I'm having no success, and what I can
do to make this work?


--
..............................................................................

"Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state."

-Noam Chomsky

..............................................................................
dswan@m3m3t1ccand1ru.com http://www.memeticcandiru.com

More about : piii 733 1000 p3b

December 19, 2004 6:59:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Only PCB Revision 1.04 will support those cpu's.
Rev 1.03 will do up to PIII 600 mhz only.
Sorry.
Vic

<a1b3r7a_lady@salmahayeksknockers.edu> wrote in message
news:_A7xd.1676$uj2.1532@clgrps12...
> Presently, I'm using a Cel300a OCed to 450Mhz without trouble, however,
> I'm
> having difficulty getting either a PIII733Mhz or a PIII1000Mhz to work on
> it.
>
> -Board revision is 1.03. I've updated the bios to 1008b4.
> -Memory is PC133. Video card is AGP.
>
> -For the 1000Mhz, I've tried 7.5x133, 7.5x100, and 7.5x66, with no
> success.
>
> -For the 733, I've tried 5.5x133, 5.5x100, and 5.5x66 with no success.
>
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers on why I'm having no success, and what I
> can
> do to make this work?
>
>
> --
> .............................................................................
>
> "Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian
> state."
>
> -Noam Chomsky
>
> .............................................................................
> dswan@m3m3t1ccand1ru.com
> http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 6:59:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <bIydnQ449NAgl1jcRVnyvg@giganews.com>,
Vic <dtmaker@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Only PCB Revision 1.04 will support those cpu's.
>Rev 1.03 will do up to PIII 600 mhz only.

Not true. My rev 1.03 P3B-F can run both a 800MHz Coppermine P3
and a 1.4GHz Tualatin P3-S w/o issues.
--
Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Computing Science Department, Uppsala University
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 6:59:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> In article <bIydnQ449NAgl1jcRVnyvg@giganews.com>,
> Vic <dtmaker@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Only PCB Revision 1.04 will support those cpu's.
>>Rev 1.03 will do up to PIII 600 mhz only.
>
>
> Not true. My rev 1.03 P3B-F can run both a 800MHz Coppermine P3
> and a 1.4GHz Tualatin P3-S w/o issues.

....but the Tualatin with an adapter, isn't it?! Or a 3rd party BIOS?!

Roy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 7:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <32lftdF3njdgnU1@individual.net>,
Roy Coorne <RoyCoorne@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>Mikael Pettersson wrote:
>> In article <bIydnQ449NAgl1jcRVnyvg@giganews.com>,
>> Vic <dtmaker@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Only PCB Revision 1.04 will support those cpu's.
>>>Rev 1.03 will do up to PIII 600 mhz only.
>>
>>
>> Not true. My rev 1.03 P3B-F can run both a 800MHz Coppermine P3
>> and a 1.4GHz Tualatin P3-S w/o issues.
>
>...but the Tualatin with an adapter, isn't it?! Or a 3rd party BIOS?!

Both with adapters since both are Socket370.

Ah, so the OP meant w/o adapter? Yeah, then the mobo
might be limited to Katmai and older chips.
--
Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Computing Science Department, Uppsala University
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
December 19, 2004 11:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Mikael Pettersson <mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se> wrote:

> Ah, so the OP meant w/o adapter? Yeah, then the mobo
> might be limited to Katmai and older chips.

Both Procs are retail Slot 1 PIII's, with no added hardware.

What's the highest PIII I can run w/out extra HW/Adapaters?


--
..............................................................................

At any given moment, there is a sort of all pervading orthodoxy, a general
tacit agreement not to discuss large and uncomfortable facts.

-George Orwell

..............................................................................
dswan@m3m3t1ccand1ru.com http://www.memeticcandiru.com
December 20, 2004 8:15:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Check out http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.as... and
click on "Query by Motherboard" for official ASUS info.

But be sure to also check out
http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade... for a very
good cpu upgrade guide for both p2b and p3b boards.

Hope this helps.

gb



<a1b3r7a_lady@salmahayeksknockers.edu> wrote in message
news:_A7xd.1676$uj2.1532@clgrps12...
> Presently, I'm using a Cel300a OCed to 450Mhz without trouble, however,
> I'm
> having difficulty getting either a PIII733Mhz or a PIII1000Mhz to work on
> it.
>
> -Board revision is 1.03. I've updated the bios to 1008b4.
> -Memory is PC133. Video card is AGP.
>
> -For the 1000Mhz, I've tried 7.5x133, 7.5x100, and 7.5x66, with no
> success.
>
> -For the 733, I've tried 5.5x133, 5.5x100, and 5.5x66 with no success.
>
>
> Can anyone give me any pointers on why I'm having no success, and what I
> can
> do to make this work?
>
>
> --
> .............................................................................
>
> "Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian
> state."
>
> -Noam Chomsky
>
> .............................................................................
> dswan@m3m3t1ccand1ru.com
> http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 27, 2005 6:48:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

your obviously using a slot-kit adapter as those cpu's will be socket
370..., have you set it on auto ? Or perhaps it(slot-kit) may not
support 133fsb cpu's ?? Some do not.
If thats not the problem, then make sure there is no memory in bank-0.
Set your ram to auto by spd (just to get things going...) and set the
cpu setting to manual-133/33.
Make sure you are using a pci video card. You cannot run an agp card
on that board with fsb setting above 100mhz. The divider is a jumper
set at 1/1(66mhz) or 2/3(100mhz-default). There is no 133mhz
setting...
good luck...


On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 04:38:18 GMT, a1b3r7a_lady@salmahayeksknockers.edu
wrote:

>Presently, I'm using a Cel300a OCed to 450Mhz without trouble, however, I'm
>having difficulty getting either a PIII733Mhz or a PIII1000Mhz to work on it.
>
>-Board revision is 1.03. I've updated the bios to 1008b4.
>-Memory is PC133. Video card is AGP.
>
>-For the 1000Mhz, I've tried 7.5x133, 7.5x100, and 7.5x66, with no success.
>
>-For the 733, I've tried 5.5x133, 5.5x100, and 5.5x66 with no success.
>
>
>Can anyone give me any pointers on why I'm having no success, and what I can
>do to make this work?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2005 5:12:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

timmy wrote:
> your obviously using a slot-kit adapter as those cpu's will be socket
> 370..., have you set it on auto ? Or perhaps it(slot-kit) may not
> support 133fsb cpu's ?? Some do not.
> If thats not the problem, then make sure there is no memory in bank-0.
> Set your ram to auto by spd (just to get things going...) and set the
> cpu setting to manual-133/33.
> Make sure you are using a pci video card. You cannot run an agp card
> on that board with fsb setting above 100mhz. The divider is a jumper
> set at 1/1(66mhz) or 2/3(100mhz-default). There is no 133mhz
> setting...

Well - I have overclocked a PIII 600 @ 800 (FSB133) on the P3B-F
(Rev.1.04) with AGP video cards, the GeForce II MX e.g. or the Matrox
G400 - the majority of cards have no prob with the AGP speed raised
from 66 to 89 MHz (you may google for a particular card).

I used good PC133 RAM (Crucial/Micron) and set the FSB to 133 in the
BIOS manually.

Roy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2005 6:42:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I suppose some agp video cards will work, mine did not. Another
problem I find when setting fsb to +133 mhz on the pb3-f is that the
bios will not count the memory properly if one tries to overclock the
133 fsb cpu. I can run my 667 @ 701 mhz, but then the memory will not
all be counted. It's all cas 2 crucial memory and I have tried
swapping banks. There must be some limitatation on the chipset where
as the memory timing gets increased as you bump up the cpu fsb...or
that the different timing settings just cannot function properly. Have
you tried this ? Set your ram at 7ns/143mhz, then your cpu to the next
+133 mhz setting which is 140/35. I get no errors or hangs and I can
complete all pcmark tests, just without all the memory...wierd. The
stock setting of 133/33 and memory at 7ns/143mhz (or spd) counts the
memory fine...


On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:12:46 +0200, Roy Coorne
<roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote:

>timmy wrote:
>> your obviously using a slot-kit adapter as those cpu's will be socket
>> 370..., have you set it on auto ? Or perhaps it(slot-kit) may not
>> support 133fsb cpu's ?? Some do not.
>> If thats not the problem, then make sure there is no memory in bank-0.
>> Set your ram to auto by spd (just to get things going...) and set the
>> cpu setting to manual-133/33.
>> Make sure you are using a pci video card. You cannot run an agp card
>> on that board with fsb setting above 100mhz. The divider is a jumper
>> set at 1/1(66mhz) or 2/3(100mhz-default). There is no 133mhz
>> setting...
>
>Well - I have overclocked a PIII 600 @ 800 (FSB133) on the P3B-F
>(Rev.1.04) with AGP video cards, the GeForce II MX e.g. or the Matrox
>G400 - the majority of cards have no prob with the AGP speed raised
>from 66 to 89 MHz (you may google for a particular card).
>
>I used good PC133 RAM (Crucial/Micron) and set the FSB to 133 in the
>BIOS manually.
>
>Roy
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2005 12:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

"Roy Coorne" <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:3fpnrgF8mdqrU1@individual.net...

> Well - I have overclocked a PIII 600 @ 800 (FSB133) on the P3B-F
> (Rev.1.04) with AGP video cards, the GeForce II MX e.g. or the Matrox
> G400 - the majority of cards have no prob with the AGP speed raised from
> 66 to 89 MHz (you may google for a particular card).


Have you heard something about the Matrox Millenium P750 or P650, if they
are overclockable to 89MHz AGP Speed?
My G450 here in my BX Board got to leave at 70MHz :-(




Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2005 9:53:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Matrox cards are known to be poor in overclocking.


Daniel Mandic wrote:
> "Roy Coorne" <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:3fpnrgF8mdqrU1@individual.net...
>
>
>>Well - I have overclocked a PIII 600 @ 800 (FSB133) on the P3B-F
>>(Rev.1.04) with AGP video cards, the GeForce II MX e.g. or the Matrox
>>G400 - the majority of cards have no prob with the AGP speed raised from
>>66 to 89 MHz (you may google for a particular card).
>
>
>
> Have you heard something about the Matrox Millenium P750 or P650, if they
> are overclockable to 89MHz AGP Speed?
> My G450 here in my BX Board got to leave at 70MHz :-(
>
>
>
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Daniel Mandic
>
>
>
May 28, 2005 9:53:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

To the contrary, I've been through a dozen Matrox models
and have never run into one that wouldn't do 89MHz. The
only ones I've never tested are the Parhelias, but the G400,
G400 Max, 450, 550 etc are all excellent overclockers.

Now ATI, that's a totally different story. E.g. their Radeon
9700/Pro chokes at anything much over stock 66MHz, as
does the 9800.

"Roy Sharif M. Sison" <roysharif@pacific.net.ph> wrote in message news:D 79f4j$ln5$1@nobel.pacific.net.sg...
> Matrox cards are known to be poor in overclocking.
>
>
> Daniel Mandic wrote:
> > "Roy Coorne" <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > news:3fpnrgF8mdqrU1@individual.net...
> >
> >
> >>Well - I have overclocked a PIII 600 @ 800 (FSB133) on the P3B-F
> >>(Rev.1.04) with AGP video cards, the GeForce II MX e.g. or the Matrox
> >>G400 - the majority of cards have no prob with the AGP speed raised from
> >>66 to 89 MHz (you may google for a particular card).
> >
> >
> >
> > Have you heard something about the Matrox Millenium P750 or P650, if they
> > are overclockable to 89MHz AGP Speed?
> > My G450 here in my BX Board got to leave at 70MHz :-(
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Best Regards,
> >
> > Daniel Mandic
> >
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
May 28, 2005 9:53:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Rick wrote:
> To the contrary, I've been through a dozen Matrox models
> and have never run into one that wouldn't do 89MHz. The
> only ones I've never tested are the Parhelias, but the G400,
> G400 Max, 450, 550 etc are all excellent overclockers.
>
> Now ATI, that's a totally different story. E.g. their Radeon
> 9700/Pro chokes at anything much over stock 66MHz, as
> does the 9800.

A R9800 would in any case be an overkill to a P3B-F - and I'm not
talking about the voltage problem.

Roy
!