[K8N-E Deluxe] Very slow booting from cd-rom

I just got a K8N-E Deluxe board for my new computer. I already installed
Windows and the new system is working great. But, it boots incredibly
slow from cd. For example, when I insert the Windows XP cd and reboot
the computer it sits like 30 seconds apparantly doing nothing between
the BIOS post and starting from cd. Meanwhile only a blinking cursor is
shown in the upper left corner of the screen. Once it starts booting
from cd all is normal.

First I thought it might have something to do with the drive (Plextor
PX-708A) but in another system with an Asus CUSL2 mainboard the system
boots from cd-rom immediatly with the very same Plextor PX-708A drive.

With no cd in the drive, the system boots very rapidly from the
harddisk.

- Asus K8N-E Deluxe
- Athlon64 3000+
- 1 GB RAM (2x 512 MB Kingston)
- Seagate 120 GB harddisk at SATA1
- Plextor PX-708A dvd recorder at PATA1 (master)

The BIOS settings are all default except I disabled the onboard sound.

I know the Plextor is very slow in initializing cd's compared to most
other drives, but with the CUSL2 mainboard it starts booting from cd
immediatly after the BIOS post.

--
mahi

Paul

Splendid

In article <MPG.1c2feefaea99b676989ee1@news.telenet.be>, mahi
<mahi@its.invalid> wrote:

> I just got a K8N-E Deluxe board for my new computer. I already installed
> Windows and the new system is working great. But, it boots incredibly
> slow from cd. For example, when I insert the Windows XP cd and reboot
> the computer it sits like 30 seconds apparantly doing nothing between
> the BIOS post and starting from cd. Meanwhile only a blinking cursor is
> shown in the upper left corner of the screen. Once it starts booting
> from cd all is normal.
>
> First I thought it might have something to do with the drive (Plextor
> PX-708A) but in another system with an Asus CUSL2 mainboard the system
> boots from cd-rom immediatly with the very same Plextor PX-708A drive.
>
> With no cd in the drive, the system boots very rapidly from the
> harddisk.
>
> - Asus K8N-E Deluxe
> - Athlon64 3000+
> - 1 GB RAM (2x 512 MB Kingston)
> - Seagate 120 GB harddisk at SATA1
> - Plextor PX-708A dvd recorder at PATA1 (master)
>
> The BIOS settings are all default except I disabled the onboard sound.
>
> I know the Plextor is very slow in initializing cd's compared to most
> other drives, but with the CUSL2 mainboard it starts booting from cd
> immediatly after the BIOS post.

Does it boot any faster if "Silicon Image Mode" is set to
[Disabled] ? Sometimes the BIOS is waiting for drives to
show up on whatever RAID controller exists outside of the
Southbridge. If you aren't using the SIL3114, you might
disable it and cut a few seconds off the boot.

HTH,
Paul

"Paul" wrote:

> Does it boot any faster if "Silicon Image Mode" is set to
> [Disabled] ? Sometimes the BIOS is waiting for drives to
> show up on whatever RAID controller exists outside of the
> Southbridge. If you aren't using the SIL3114, you might
> disable it and cut a few seconds off the boot.

This speeds up the BIOS post somewhat, but the long wait is still there.

--
mahi