Justin

I have just upgraded my pc to windows XP from Windows 98
SE and have installed the speedtouch 330 adsl modem.
However, when i access the internet the computer
restarts.
An error message appears on the screen saying there was a
problem with C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe . I think this
may be a registry problem but it must have something to
do with the modem as it happens when on the internet.
Can anybody help?

Thanks
justin Sherlock

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I have had my computer for the last 6 months with a adsl
speedtouch usb modem. No problems until this week when
all of a sudden the computer starts rebooting itself
everytime I am on the internet. I have used system
restore but that doesn't work so I thought what have io
recently installed, nothing apart from windows xp
upgrades. My suspicion is that one of those upgrades is
causing a serious conflict with the usb modems. Microsoft
please sort this out.

You can try scanning for viruses, malware, and check your firewall
settings. It simply sounds like a bad upgrade.

I would try to repair the installation. Boot off the Windows XP CD,
choose to Install, it will find the existing installation, press R to
repair, and then it should do everything for you. Hopefully that should
fix the problem ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

Justin wrote:
> I have just upgraded my pc to windows XP from Windows 98
> SE and have installed the speedtouch 330 adsl modem.
> However, when i access the internet the computer
> restarts.
> An error message appears on the screen saying there was a
> problem with C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe . I think this
> may be a registry problem but it must have something to
> do with the modem as it happens when on the internet.
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks
> justin Sherlock

As I mentioned in the other post, I would recommend scanning for viruses
and malware. Check your firewall settings if you have one, but most
importantly, try doing a repair installation.

Boot off your Windows XP CD, choose Install, Setup will find the
existing installation, choose R to repair it, and it should do
everything for you from there ;)

----
Nathan McNulty

brian wrote:
> I have had my computer for the last 6 months with a adsl
> speedtouch usb modem. No problems until this week when
> all of a sudden the computer starts rebooting itself
> everytime I am on the internet. I have used system
> restore but that doesn't work so I thought what have io
> recently installed, nothing apart from windows xp
> upgrades. My suspicion is that one of those upgrades is
> causing a serious conflict with the usb modems. Microsoft
> please sort this out.

I have a firewall that is constantly on. A full virus
scan does not reveal anything amiss. adware and spyware
checks are also negative. My point is that the only
programs that i downloaded were the microsoft ones on
Friday, therefore as other users are experiencing the
same re-boot problems there must be something wrong with
the upgrades.

Did you choose to install the Service Pack 2 Technical Beta? The only
other thing I can think of is to try that repair install :(

What hotfix is it that you think is causing this? They are usually very
well tested, but I guess it is possible for one to get through that
isn't of standart quality.

----
Nathan McNulty

> I have a firewall that is constantly on. A full virus
> scan does not reveal anything amiss. adware and spyware
> checks are also negative. My point is that the only
> programs that i downloaded were the microsoft ones on
> Friday, therefore as other users are experiencing the
> same re-boot problems there must be something wrong with
> the upgrades.

it is a spybot worm i got it when i installed my modem
too

"Justin" asked
> I have just upgraded my pc to windows XP from Windows 98
> SE and have installed the speedtouch 330 adsl modem.
> However, when i access the internet the computer
> restarts.
> An error message appears on the screen saying there was a
> problem with C:\windows\system32\lsass.exe . I think this
> may be a registry problem but it must have something to
> do with the modem as it happens when on the internet.
> Can anybody help?
>
> Thanks
> justin Sherlock

Justin

Sounds distinctly like a Sasser worm has infected your system.

Check this article form Microsoft.

What You Should Know About the Sasser Worm
http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.mspx

Details on how to check for and remove the worm are included in the article.
(stopping the shutdown cycle should be a big help)

Hope that helps
Pete

TRENDING THREADS