adsl problems

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

unlike the post below I have had my adsl modem for 6
months and used it without any problems. As of yesterday
having downloaded the windows upgrades and installed them
my computer reboots itself when I play games online or
any time it feels like it when online.

The latest drivers for the modem haven't made a blind nit
of difference. I suspect that the windows XP upgrades
have caused a conflict of some sort with either the usb
port or the modem.

Is it just me or have there been a few posts after the
17th July relating to computers rebooting (check the
other forums) which corresponded to the date the last
upgrades were posted.

bar

Many USB - ADSL modems are also able to be connected via the Ethernet port on the PC. If this is true for yours, you can attempt to attach the Modem to the Ethernet port and check out its performance.

If you do not experience the same issues [ rebooting etc] then you can be reasonably confident that the cause is a USB driver issue. Take this matter further with your ISP [if they supplied the modem, becasue you will not be the only inhabitant of your island] or discuss this with your local Microsoft Technical Support.

If the issues persist, then take the matter up exclusively with your ISP so that they can test the line / connection or modem.

It may just be that the timing of your bug is coincidental.

"brian" wrote:

> unlike the post below I have had my adsl modem for 6
> months and used it without any problems. As of yesterday
> having downloaded the windows upgrades and installed them
> my computer reboots itself when I play games online or
> any time it feels like it when online.
>
> The latest drivers for the modem haven't made a blind nit
> of difference. I suspect that the windows XP upgrades
> have caused a conflict of some sort with either the usb
> port or the modem.
>
> Is it just me or have there been a few posts after the
> 17th July relating to computers rebooting (check the
> other forums) which corresponded to the date the last
> upgrades were posted.

Interesting. Please explain further how to connect a USB ADSL modem to the
ethernet port. Is there an adaptor? Where do I find this adaptor?

> Many USB - ADSL modems are also able to be connected via the Ethernet port
on the PC. If this is true for yours, you can attempt to attach the Modem
to the Ethernet port and check out its performance.

> If you do not experience the same issues [ rebooting etc] then you can be
reasonably confident that the cause is a USB driver issue. Take this matter
further with your ISP [if they supplied the modem, becasue you will not be
the only inhabitant of your island] or discuss this with your local
Microsoft Technical Support.

> If the issues persist, then take the matter up exclusively with your ISP
so that they can test the line / connection or modem.

> It may just be that the timing of your bug is coincidental.
>
> "brian" wrote:
>
> > unlike the post below I have had my adsl modem for 6
> > months and used it without any problems. As of yesterday
> > having downloaded the windows upgrades and installed them
> > my computer reboots itself when I play games online or
> > any time it feels like it when online.
> >
> > The latest drivers for the modem haven't made a blind nit
> > of difference. I suspect that the windows XP upgrades
> > have caused a conflict of some sort with either the usb
> > port or the modem.
> >
> > Is it just me or have there been a few posts after the
> > 17th July relating to computers rebooting (check the
> > other forums) which corresponded to the date the last
> > upgrades were posted.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:45:59 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote :

>Interesting. Please explain further how to connect a USB ADSL modem to the
>ethernet port. Is there an adaptor? Where do I find this adaptor?

The modem has to have an ethernet port as well as the USB.
If it doesn't, you need a new modem to use ethernet.
(I just replace my Alcatel USB mantamodem with a Netgear DM602 so that
I could use both USB and ethernet - USB to connect to a PC without a
network card and ethernet to connect to a wireless router for the
laptops.)
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

It appears that the modem or type of modem is not a 'USB' modem but a
combination (Combo?) of USB and Ethernet. Does such a device exist? Why I
ask is I was looking for such a modem but was told repeatedly that modems
were either one system or the other, no 'combo' devices are made.

"Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@delete_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:45:59 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
> <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote :
>
> >Interesting. Please explain further how to connect a USB ADSL modem to
the
> >ethernet port. Is there an adaptor? Where do I find this adaptor?
> >
> The modem has to have an ethernet port as well as the USB.
> If it doesn't, you need a new modem to use ethernet.
> (I just replace my Alcatel USB mantamodem with a Netgear DM602 so that
> I could use both USB and ethernet - USB to connect to a PC without a
> network card and ethernet to connect to a wireless router for the
> laptops.)
> --
> Regards,
> Peter Wilkins

That is untrue. I am using one right now. There is one from Actiontec
that does both USB and Ethernet and is also a Wireless G Router all in
one. I use it on my Qwest DSL connection.

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT122499/sc.2/category.2/it.A/id.88/.f

----
Nathan McNulty

Edward W. Thompson wrote:
> It appears that the modem or type of modem is not a 'USB' modem but a
> combination (Combo?) of USB and Ethernet. Does such a device exist? Why I
> ask is I was looking for such a modem but was told repeatedly that modems
> were either one system or the other, no 'combo' devices are made.
>

> "Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@delete_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:45:59 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
>><thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote :
>>

>>>Interesting. Please explain further how to connect a USB ADSL modem to
>
> the
>
>>>ethernet port. Is there an adaptor? Where do I find this adaptor?
>>>

>>The modem has to have an ethernet port as well as the USB.
>>If it doesn't, you need a new modem to use ethernet.
>>(I just replace my Alcatel USB mantamodem with a Netgear DM602 so that
>>I could use both USB and ethernet - USB to connect to a PC without a
>>network card and ethernet to connect to a wireless router for the
>>laptops.)
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Peter Wilkins

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:30:14 +0100, "Edward W. Thompson"
<thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote :

>It appears that the modem or type of modem is not a 'USB' modem but a
>combination (Combo?) of USB and Ethernet. Does such a device exist? Why I
>ask is I was looking for such a modem but was told repeatedly that modems
>were either one system or the other, no 'combo' devices are made.

I'm using a Netgear DM602 modem, and yes, the "combo" describes it
quite well. With just the modem, you can have one computer connected
to the USB and one connected to the ethernet, both accessing and
sharing the same ADSL. I actually have the ethernet line from the
modem connected to a Netgear MR814 wireless router, so I can have 4
wired ethernet connections as well as the wireless and the USB. I
have the USB modem line connected to my desktop computer which doesn't
have a network card installed.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins