External Harddrive Driver Installation Problem

I have an external Buslink L25 25gb harddrive, and can't get it working with Windows XP Professional. When I plug the drive in (via USB 1.1), the new hardware wizard is unable to find a driver for it. I even specify to look in the CD-ROM drive where the Buslink driver CD is, but it still doesn't find anything. And if I try to run the setup.exe file directly from the Buslink CD, the setup runs fine and says it finishes without any problems, but the drive still doesn't work. Can someone help me find a driver that will fix this problem? I have a feeling that the drivers on the Buslink CD may only be for Windows 2000. I think all I need is a USB to IDE conversion driver, but I really don't know.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Click the very first link that says USB 1 HARD DRIVE and follow the
instructions. Also, you may need to update your USB drivers for your
computer. This would mean updating your chipset (motherboard) drivers.
If the first doesn't work, try updating the chipset drivers.

http://www.buslink.com/s_drivers.asp

----
Nathan McNulty

vchip wrote:
> I have an external Buslink L25 25gb harddrive, and can't get it working with Windows XP Professional. When I plug the drive in (via USB 1.1), the new hardware wizard is unable to find a driver for it. I even specify to look in the CD-ROM drive where the Buslink driver CD is, but it still doesn't find anything. And if I try to run the setup.exe file directly from the Buslink CD, the setup runs fine and says it finishes without any problems, but the drive still doesn't work. Can someone help me find a driver that will fix this problem? I have a feeling that the drivers on the Buslink CD may only be for Windows 2000. I think all I need is a USB to IDE conversion driver, but I really don't know.
>
> Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

I already did that actually, but Windows gave me an alert saying that the driver wasn't approved (signed?) by Windows or something and installing the driver could potentially create a lot of problems either now or in the future. That scared me enough to cancel the installation. Are you still sure I should go ahead with it?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Click the very first link that says USB 1 HARD DRIVE and follow the
> instructions. Also, you may need to update your USB drivers for your
> computer. This would mean updating your chipset (motherboard) drivers.
> If the first doesn't work, try updating the chipset drivers.
>
> http://www.buslink.com/s_drivers.asp
>
> ----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> vchip wrote:
> > I have an external Buslink L25 25gb harddrive, and can't get it working with Windows XP Professional. When I plug the drive in (via USB 1.1), the new hardware wizard is unable to find a driver for it. I even specify to look in the CD-ROM drive where the Buslink driver CD is, but it still doesn't find anything. And if I try to run the setup.exe file directly from the Buslink CD, the setup runs fine and says it finishes without any problems, but the drive still doesn't work. Can someone help me find a driver that will fix this problem? I have a feeling that the drivers on the Buslink CD may only be for Windows 2000. I think all I need is a USB to IDE conversion driver, but I really don't know.
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

What motherboard are you using? As long as you are sure you have the
right chipset drivers, you should be fine installing them. That warning
is for the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) Certified drivers. It
is letting you know that: 1) The maker of these drivers did not submit
these drivers to Microsoft for certification, 2) These drivers did not
pass the certification requirements. You can try them and see if it
works any better (especially if they came straight from your motherboard
maker's website or the chipset maker's website). If your chipset is
made by either Intel, AMD, or VIA, they should all be certified and I
wouldn't install those drivers.

----
Nathan McNulty

vchip wrote:
> I already did that actually, but Windows gave me an alert saying that the driver wasn't approved (signed?) by Windows or something and installing the driver could potentially create a lot of problems either now or in the future. That scared me enough to cancel the installation. Are you still sure I should go ahead with it?
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Click the very first link that says USB 1 HARD DRIVE and follow the
>>instructions. Also, you may need to update your USB drivers for your
>>computer. This would mean updating your chipset (motherboard) drivers.
>>If the first doesn't work, try updating the chipset drivers.
>>
>>http://www.buslink.com/s_drivers.asp
>>
>>----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>vchip wrote:
>>
>>>I have an external Buslink L25 25gb harddrive, and can't get it working with Windows XP Professional. When I plug the drive in (via USB 1.1), the new hardware wizard is unable to find a driver for it. I even specify to look in the CD-ROM drive where the Buslink driver CD is, but it still doesn't find anything. And if I try to run the setup.exe file directly from the Buslink CD, the setup runs fine and says it finishes without any problems, but the drive still doesn't work. Can someone help me find a driver that will fix this problem? I have a feeling that the drivers on the Buslink CD may only be for Windows 2000. I think all I need is a USB to IDE conversion driver, but I really don't know.
>>>
>>>Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Anyone else? This problem still isn't fixed really.