A7N8X-E 1394 trouble

I have a case with a front firewire 6 wire fireport (Antec Sonata).
Looks like there is not capture when I hook up my sony camcorder with a
4 wire to 6 wire adapter cable. The IEEE 1394 Bus host controller shows
up under hardware drivers, so the BIOS is OK. Driver version is
5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001 from Microsoft.I would welcome comments about
connecting to either port 1 or port 2 on the Asus A7N8X-E mb. Does it
matter? Since it shows up in the device manager? Anyway, would welcome
comments on pin hook ups, that is the only thing I guess is possibly
wrong.

Audio and USB front ports work great on the Antec case, it is just the
1394 that isn't. Wish they would have included a rear panel port, but
that would be too easy.

Thanks.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Thanks, you are right. I see a bracket in the box, didn't even really
look as I thought it was USB.

I'll try that bracket just to get up and running. Wish I had the front
port working though with the pin connections just right.

Dino

my A7N8X-Deluxe Rev 2.0 came with a bracket for the 4 and 6 wire 1394..I am
suprised that the E doesn't. I have my Sony digicam on order but am going to
use the firewire from my Audigy instead...have read of some issues on these
boards with it.

Paul

Splendid

In article <1103506375.545900.179550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
kculp@yahoo.com wrote:

> I have a case with a front firewire 6 wire fireport (Antec Sonata).
> Looks like there is not capture when I hook up my sony camcorder with a
> 4 wire to 6 wire adapter cable. The IEEE 1394 Bus host controller shows
> up under hardware drivers, so the BIOS is OK. Driver version is
> 5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001 from Microsoft.I would welcome comments about
> connecting to either port 1 or port 2 on the Asus A7N8X-E mb. Does it
> matter? Since it shows up in the device manager? Anyway, would welcome
> comments on pin hook ups, that is the only thing I guess is possibly
> wrong.
>
> Audio and USB front ports work great on the Antec case, it is just the
> 1394 that isn't. Wish they would have included a rear panel port, but
> that would be too easy.
>
> Thanks.

My A7N8X-E came with a two port Firewire bracket, for use in a PCI
slot hole. Each Asus manual has a "manifest" or list of included
parts, near the beginning of the manual. The first thing you do
when you open the box, is check for complete contents.

The bracket has one four pin and one six pin hole on
it, and two nice cables for connecting to the mobo header.

As for Antec, I have three Antec cases, and two of them had wiring
design errors in them. The third case, the Antec Sonata, I haven't
tested. When I bought the Sonata, the first thing I did, is rip out
and remove the front port assembly, as there is really no point
in having them, if they cannot be designed properly. I'm tired of
having to test them, so why bother using them at all.

One Antec Firewire port I tested, reversed TPA+ with TPA-, and
reversed TPB+ with TPB-. Fortunately, they didn't reverse the
power pins VP and VG, as that would have been deadly to a
Firewire device. The reversal of the data pins would not have
hurt anything.

So, find out what happened to the bracket that came in the
motherboard box. I would trust the bracket a lot more than
the wiring on an Antec case.

Paul

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <1103506375.545900.179550@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, kculp@yahoo.com wrote:
>I have a case with a front firewire 6 wire fireport (Antec Sonata).
>Looks like there is not capture when I hook up my sony camcorder with a
>4 wire to 6 wire adapter cable. The IEEE 1394 Bus host controller shows
>up under hardware drivers, so the BIOS is OK. Driver version is
>5.1.2535.0 dated 7/1/2001 from Microsoft.I would welcome comments about
>connecting to either port 1 or port 2 on the Asus A7N8X-E mb. Does it
>matter? Since it shows up in the device manager? Anyway, would welcome
>comments on pin hook ups, that is the only thing I guess is possibly
>wrong.
>
>Audio and USB front ports work great on the Antec case, it is just the
>1394 that isn't. Wish they would have included a rear panel port, but
>that would be too easy.
>
>Thanks.

Many of the antec sonata cases had their front ports badly misswired
Read below

http://www2.usenetarchive.org/Dir43/File876.html

<http://www.motherboard-forum.
com/asus/K8V_SE_Deluxe__Antec_Case__no_power_fan_speed_and_no_front_1394_57786
1.html>