Network printer....seems to time-out ??

Hi,

First a few details of the network setup:
- 16 PCs (Windows XP Pro)
- 1 Server (Windows Server 2003)
- Wireless Network

Other details:
- Printer is NOT connected to the server because it doesn't support my
printer model (HP Laserjet 3380).
- Printer IS connected to a PC running Windows XP. I have it as a shared
printer.
- I'm not using a print server (and I don't intend to, if possible).

Problem:
I can get the printer working on all the PCs, but after a few hours I
sometimes have to re-establish the connection by doing Start > Run... >
\\computer0\hp (ie. printer location).
Once I do this one of two things happen:
(1) The print queue window opens and the PC is once again connected to the
printer.
(2) After 1 or 2 minutes a windows opens looking for my administrator
password. Once I enter that, the print queue window opens and the PC is once
again connected to the printer.

It's really annoying having to do this to each computer every day. I'm
guessing that the network is somehow timing me out??? However, it's only a
guess .

My level of computer expertise isn't too high, so please don't use any
complicated words :)

Any ideas? Have any of you experienced this kind of problem?

Thanks in advance!

WinXP Pro has a maximum of 10 simultaneous inbound connections - since you
have 15 PC's via'ing for 10 slots, they will be fighting over it.
So, you can either live with it (as you can't increase the number of
connections on XP Pro), or move it to the 2k3 Server (just because there are
no server drivers for it, doesn't mean the XP systems can't see and use it
properly).

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

"Paul27" <Paul27@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> First a few details of the network setup:
> - 16 PCs (Windows XP Pro)
> - 1 Server (Windows Server 2003)
> - Wireless Network
>
> Other details:
> - Printer is NOT connected to the server because it doesn't support my
> printer model (HP Laserjet 3380).
> - Printer IS connected to a PC running Windows XP. I have it as a shared
> printer.
> - I'm not using a print server (and I don't intend to, if possible).
>
> Problem:
> I can get the printer working on all the PCs, but after a few hours I
> sometimes have to re-establish the connection by doing Start > Run... >
> \\computer0\hp (ie. printer location).
> Once I do this one of two things happen:
> (1) The print queue window opens and the PC is once again connected to the
> printer.
> (2) After 1 or 2 minutes a windows opens looking for my administrator
> password. Once I enter that, the print queue window opens and the PC is
once
> again connected to the printer.
>
> It's really annoying having to do this to each computer every day. I'm
> guessing that the network is somehow timing me out??? However, it's only a
> guess .
>
> My level of computer expertise isn't too high, so please don't use any
> complicated words :)
>
> Any ideas? Have any of you experienced this kind of problem?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply Admiral Q :)

It looks like I might have to live with the problem, unless someone else can
come up with a different solution.

"just because there are no server drivers for it, doesn't mean the XP
systems can't see and use it properly"
When I had my old Minolta laser printer connected to the server, I had the
exact same problem.

Theoretically, if a maximum of 1 or 2 people are trying to print at the same
time, will they be able to?
Will a problem only occur if more than 10 PCs are trying to print at the
same time.
I'm trying to understand how the computers fight over those 10 free slots.