A7N8X-E DELUXE MB & PCI SLOT USAGE

Hi Everyone,

Im after some helpful advice on which PCI slots I should use to avoid
conflicts/IRQ sharing or which slot would be best to use for the following;

1/ 3Com 56K PCI Modem
2/ Soundblaster PCI Audigy Soundcard
3/ AGP Gfx Card

On Page 2-12 of the MB user manual it shows a table of 'IRQ assignments
for the motherboard' but I do not quite understand it. (I shall try to
replicate it below - so I hope it renders ok)

INT A INT B INT C INT D
PCI Slot 1 shared - - -
PCI Slot 2 - - - shared
PCI slot 3 - - shared -
PCI slot 4 - shared - -
PCI slot 5 shared - - -
AGP Slot - - - shared
Serial ATA - - shared -
Gigabit Lan - shared - -
WiFi Slot shared - - -

What does this mean? (is it if I put a card in PCI slot 1
, it will share the same interupt as slot 5 and the WiFi slot?

All help greatfully received.

Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe slot usage

    In article <41c7f16b$0$26513$afc38c87@news.ukonline.co.uk>, Sgt_Wilson
    <sgt_wilson@dadsarmy.net> wrote:

    > Hi Everyone,
    >
    > Im after some helpful advice on which PCI slots I should use to avoid
    > conflicts/IRQ sharing or which slot would be best to use for the following;
    >
    > 1/ 3Com 56K PCI Modem
    > 2/ Soundblaster PCI Audigy Soundcard
    > 3/ AGP Gfx Card
    >
    > On Page 2-12 of the MB user manual it shows a table of 'IRQ assignments
    > for the motherboard' but I do not quite understand it. (I shall try to
    > replicate it below - so I hope it renders ok)
    >
    > INT A INT B INT C INT D
    > PCI Slot 1 shared - - -
    > PCI Slot 2 - - - shared
    > PCI slot 3 - - shared -
    > PCI slot 4 - shared - -
    > PCI slot 5 shared - - -
    > AGP Slot - - - shared
    > Serial ATA - - shared -
    > Gigabit Lan - shared - -
    > WiFi Slot shared - - -
    >

    > What does this mean? (is it if I put a card in PCI slot 1
    > , it will share the same interupt as slot 5 and the WiFi slot?
    >
    > All help greatfully received.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have a modem, you could put it in slot4 and disable
    the Marvell Gigabit Lan. That would guve the modem an exclusive
    interrupt.

    You could put the SoundBlaster in Slot1 and leave Slot5
    and the WiFi slot blank. That will give the SoundBlaster
    the highest priority slot (Slot 1 - nearest the processor),
    plus then it will have an exclusive interrupt.

    The table in the manual isn't always accurate, so you
    can check the IRQs assigned in Windows and see whether
    the cards in question, received the same IRQ as some
    other hardware. That could indicate the sharing table
    isn't what it seems.

    In any case, you only need to worry about the SoundBlaster,
    if the sound is being distorted (crackling etc). The most
    sensitive test I found, was listening to the Windows
    startup sound, just after the desktop appears. Since there
    is disk I/O happening at the time, that seems to be
    enough to uncover any problem the SoundBlaster might be
    having.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:48:39 +0000, Sgt_Wilson
    <sgt_wilson@dadsarmy.net> wrote:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >Im after some helpful advice on which PCI slots I should use to avoid
    >conflicts/IRQ sharing or which slot would be best to use for the following;
    >
    >1/ 3Com 56K PCI Modem
    >2/ Soundblaster PCI Audigy Soundcard
    >3/ AGP Gfx Card
    >
    >On Page 2-12 of the MB user manual it shows a table of 'IRQ assignments
    >for the motherboard' but I do not quite understand it. (I shall try to
    >replicate it below - so I hope it renders ok)
    >
    > INT A INT B INT C INT D
    >PCI Slot 1 shared - - -
    >PCI Slot 2 - - - shared
    >PCI slot 3 - - shared -
    >PCI slot 4 - shared - -
    >PCI slot 5 shared - - -
    >AGP Slot - - - shared
    >Serial ATA - - shared -
    >Gigabit Lan - shared - -
    >WiFi Slot shared - - -
    >

    >What does this mean? (is it if I put a card in PCI slot 1
    >, it will share the same interupt as slot 5 and the WiFi slot?

    Yes, that is what it means. But which one is pci1 ?

    It does not mean so much with windows xp, but it's a good reminder in
    order to keep Lan, agp and wifi (and probably sata) working on their
    separate irq.

    But I would think that pci1 is the one closest to agp.
    It is normal in older computers to avoid using the first pci slot,
    when agp is used. They normally shared irq. But here pci2 and agp are
    shared.

    best regards

    John

    Read down the list (vertically)
    I.E. Slot 1 shares with slot 5 and wifi slot. Slot 2 shares with
    AGP. Slot 3 shares with Serial ATA and Slot 4 shares with Gigabit
    LAN. If you're using XP it shouldn't really matter. Though I'd make
    sure I wasn't sharing anything with SATA if I was using SATA.
    If you are using XP, disable the feature in the BIOS that allows you
    to have extra virtual IRQs. I've found this feature to cause issues
    with sound cards stuttering etc.. Stick to the normal IRQ paradigm :)

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:48:39 +0000, Sgt_Wilson
    <sgt_wilson@dadsarmy.net> did etch in stone:

    >Hi Everyone,
    >
    >Im after some helpful advice on which PCI slots I should use to avoid
    >conflicts/IRQ sharing or which slot would be best to use for the following;
    >
    >1/ 3Com 56K PCI Modem
    >2/ Soundblaster PCI Audigy Soundcard
    >3/ AGP Gfx Card
    >
    >On Page 2-12 of the MB user manual it shows a table of 'IRQ assignments
    >for the motherboard' but I do not quite understand it. (I shall try to
    >replicate it below - so I hope it renders ok)
    >
    > INT A INT B INT C INT D
    >PCI Slot 1 shared - - -
    >PCI Slot 2 - - - shared
    >PCI slot 3 - - shared -
    >PCI slot 4 - shared - -
    >PCI slot 5 shared - - -
    >AGP Slot - - - shared
    >Serial ATA - - shared -
    >Gigabit Lan - shared - -
    >WiFi Slot shared - - -
    >

    >What does this mean? (is it if I put a card in PCI slot 1
    >, it will share the same interupt as slot 5 and the WiFi slot?
    >
    >All help greatfully received.
    >
    >Thanks

    Regards,
    Thomas

    WARNING! EMAIL S~P~A~M~B~L~O~C~K~E~R PROTECTION WARNING!
    Substitute 'HOTMAIL' for 'SPAMORAMA' when responding VIA email

    Do you know what option this is in this motherboard's BIOS? (A7N8X-E Deluxe)

    > If you are using XP, disable the feature in the BIOS that allows you
    > to have extra virtual IRQs. I've found this feature to cause issues
    > with sound cards stuttering etc.. Stick to the normal IRQ paradigm :)

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:48:05 -0000, "Quietman" <quietman1968 at
    hotmail dot com> did etch in stone:

    >Do you know what option this is in this motherboard's BIOS? (A7N8X-E Deluxe)
    >
    >> If you are using XP, disable the feature in the BIOS that allows you
    >> to have extra virtual IRQs. I've found this feature to cause issues
    >> with sound cards stuttering etc.. Stick to the normal IRQ paradigm :)

    Sorry, I have the non-E version. Manual is on the missing list. I
    think it was something like APSIC, APIC ASPC or something like that.
    You have to do it BEFORE you install XP. If you change it AFTER
    you've installed XP you may not be able to boot unless you change it
    back again.

    Regards,
    Thomas

    WARNING! EMAIL S~P~A~M~B~L~O~C~K~E~R PROTECTION WARNING!
    Substitute 'HOTMAIL' for 'SPAMORAMA' when responding VIA email

Asus PCI Motherboards