My CD Drives have vanished!

Hello all, hope you can help me. My CD and DVD drives
have vanished! I'm sure it's all my fault but anyway. In
the device manager there are exclamation icons next to
both drives confirming the drive status as having a
missing or corrupted driver. (They are still present in
BIOS and fully functional) Have unplugged both drives
from the MB, re-booted without them and re-booted again
with them connected. Same problem. System restore
doesn't work either. Should I re-install XP again? Will I
lose all of my work by doing this? Or is there another
way. Please show me the light!
Thanks, Kat
3 answers Last reply
More about drives vanished

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove both devices, reboot and
    let Windows find the drivers.

    "Kat" <katwojcik@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all, hope you can help me. My CD and DVD drives
    > have vanished! I'm sure it's all my fault but anyway. In
    > the device manager there are exclamation icons next to
    > both drives confirming the drive status as having a
    > missing or corrupted driver. (They are still present in
    > BIOS and fully functional) Have unplugged both drives
    > from the MB, re-booted without them and re-booted again
    > with them connected. Same problem. System restore
    > doesn't work either. Should I re-install XP again? Will I
    > lose all of my work by doing this? Or is there another
    > way. Please show me the light!
    > Thanks, Kat

    I have the same problem using Windows 2000...any idea of a fix?

    Thanks, Ian

    --
    Ian Turner

    See Alex Nichol's fix at:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
    www.coribright.com

    "Ian Turner" <Ian.Turner.1as303@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message

    > I have the same problem using Windows 2000...any idea of a fix?
    >
    > Thanks, Ian
    >
    > Kat wrote:
    >> *Hello all, hope you can help me. My CD and DVD drives
    >> have vanished! I'm sure it's all my fault but anyway. In
    >> the device manager there are exclamation icons next to
    >> both drives confirming the drive status as having a
    >> missing or corrupted driver. (They are still present in
    >> BIOS and fully functional) Have unplugged both drives
    >> from the MB, re-booted without them and re-booted again
    >> with them connected. Same problem. System restore
    >> doesn't work either. Should I re-install XP again? Will I
    >> lose all of my work by doing this? Or is there another
    >> way. Please show me the light!
    >> Thanks, Kat *
    >

    > --
    > Ian Turner