Question on P4XP-X MB and SUSE Linux 9.2

Hi

I've run into an issue this this MB. Whenever I power up the computer
it proceeds to the POST screen and then waits until I hit F1 to
continue the boot routine. Is there a setting I can use to have it not
wait and directly? I'v been through the manual and I don't see
anything that effects this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul

Splendid

In article <41c8f925$0$1257$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com>, James Wall
<jimwall@mac.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've run into an issue this this MB. Whenever I power up the computer
> it proceeds to the POST screen and then waits until I hit F1 to
> continue the boot routine. Is there a setting I can use to have it not
> wait and directly? I'v been through the manual and I don't see
> anything that effects this.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

I can think of a couple possible ways of stopping it.

In the Main menu, there is "Halt On" [No Errors],
and that can be used to make the POST sail past
any problems.

But, it is likely the board is complaining about a
fan header you've connected to a fan. The fan monitor
has a minimum number of RPMs it is looking for, indicating
that the fan is working. If you go to the Power Monitor
page, and move the cursor over a fan, and set the fan
to "Ignore", that might also cause the BIOS to ignore
a fan that is running too slow to register. For example,
I have one motherboard here, and the lowest the fan monitor
will register is 1800 RPM. If the fan runs slower than
that, it reads 0 RPM. So, you could set a fan like that
to "ignore", and then use something like Asus Probe to
do your fan monitoring for you in Windows. Sometimes Asus
Probe can set the monitor chip for lower than the BIOS
value.

That same motherboard is annoying, because what is happening
with the power supply fan, is it runs at slightly less than
1800 RPM when the computer first starts. It stops the computer,
just like yours. By the time I enter the power monitor page,
the fan by then is operating just slightly faster than 1800
RPM, and then it looks like nothing is wrong. So, if that
is happening to you, that would explain why nothing looks
amiss in the Power Monitor BIOS page - it could be the error
condition has gone away, by the time you entered the page.
Many power supply fans now run at a low enough RPM, to cause
this problem when you monitor them.

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Thanks, I'll try the tips you suggested tomorrow. I don't have a copy
of windows so I won't be able to use the program you mentioned. I'll
look for a linux version of one. I'll report back on what happened.

thanks again